An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana a cure for opiate addiction?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by drc52, Feb 11, 2015.

1. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I've met several people who used heroin for years and now smoke marijuana to stay clean. I'm skeptical as to if this is a good idea, what do you think? Heroin is certainly 10x more harmful (physically, mentally, financially) but I'm still not so sure if they are making the right decision.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Both drugs are bad and obviously the better thing would be to stop using drugs totally. There are however a few people who may opt to wean themselves off drugs by using other less addictive substances then eventually cut them out.

It's a [huge] risk though because since most addictions begin with experimentation, using one drug to stop using another might eventually end with you being hooked on this new drug. What would the next step be? Trying another substance?

I think much as people would like to believe that marijuana isn't harmful, overuse of the drug will have a negative impact on the user.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'm sure it's better than heroin, but it's not a smart thing to do really. I know that pot doesn't lessen withdrawal symptoms so I'm going to assume that the drug use you mention is post-detox. Sure, it's better to replace the hole left by your addiction with a less harmful substance, but ideally one would replace it with exercise or something else productive. It's hard to stay clean of the heavier stuff when you're surrounded by drug dealers to get your pot.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It does seem a little counter-intuitive by replacing one addiction, or habit, with another. Having said that, if marijuana (which is a lot safer) can help keep them off the Heroin, then that is something worth considering but they then need to take steps to ween themselves off the marijuana too so that they can become completely clean. I'm sure that quitting marijuana must be a lot easier than quitting heroin.
  5. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

That's what I was thinking. Although I saw an opinion the other day which stated that marijuana was 10x more mentally addictive than heroin. I guess this is a highly complex issue and it's difficult to say what is true and what is not. From what I understand marijuana is easier to quit because it does not have any physical withdrawal symptoms.
  6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I wouldn't say it's a 'cure' but it can absolutely be utilized as a treatment. Marijuana is less of a physical addiction & more of a habitual one. You can become emotionally addicted to it but, as Bob Saget LOOSELY said in Half Baked, you're not doing things in alleys for your next hit. Sometimes it takes the lesser of two evils to get you to a place with no evil.
  7. Sparkster

I have heard that nicotine (or rather, smoking tobacco) is a lot more addictive than Heroin and that it's easier to quit the Heroin than it is to quit smoking. However, I've never heard that claim about Marijuana. To be honest, having used Marijuana myself in the past and having known (and still knowing) people who have used (and some who still do use) both Marijuana and Heroin, I don't believe that claim. Plus, if someone has a Heroin habit, they're not going to care about Marijuana unless it's to ease their withdrawal symptoms.
  8. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I agree with you. Nicotine is certainly extremely hard to quit. I was just curious what people thought about that opinion, it caused a heated discussion in the thread it was originally posted in. Thanks for posting!
  9. JoanMcWench

Let's not compare nicotine to marijuana. It's incredibly unfair to marijuana. There are a lot of nuances to prepackaged cigarettes that smoking something you personally grow & control doesn't share. What I just wrote isn't a promotion of marijuana but of the truth between the drugs.
  10. Sparkster

They are indeed two very different substances. However, I'm on the fence about growing and controlling it yourself. If not done properly that can lead to contamination which has already been shown to be the case in some cities in the UK. Of course, people can also choose to grow and control their own tobacco too.
  11. JoanMcWench

Not so much in America. There are a lot of strict rules in growing any tobacco. Also, it's incredibly rare that someone who smokes is willing to go through the trouble of growing their own when they can walk to the store & get their fix rolled & ready to go. Marijuana users don't really have that option.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that using marijuana instead of heroin is a good thing. It is because it was like getting addicted on just another substance instead of the other. Marijuana is also considered as an illegal drug here.
  13. Sparkster

There are also strict rules about growing Marijuana in most areas of the world, usually even more strict than rules about growing tobacco. I find it quite odd that you would claim that someone who smokes wouldn't be willing to through the effort of growing their own tobacco when they can walk to the store and that Marijuana users don't have that option - it's usually a lot easier than that for Marijuana users. They can just phone up their dealer and get it delivered straight to their front door!
  14. JoanMcWench

No, not what I mean. Let me phrase it differently: Marijuana is now legal. Phillip Morris has everything in place to make it their go to crop. They are selling boxes of joints right next to the cigarettes. Now, you as a recreational user, would rather buy weed from your dealer, buy the papers, break & seed the weed, roll your joint & smoke it with friends as opposed to buying the ready made pack at Walgreens? I don't know. There was a time more people smoked pipes & rolled their own cigarettes as well. That seemed to change when ready made packs were available.
  15. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Cure? Absolutely not. Recovery is the cure for addiction and even that is not permanent solution. It may be a way to ween yourself off, but it isn't a permanent solution.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Whatever makes someone happy. I mean if someone wants to smoke marijuana instead of heroin. It's their decision. It's not anybody's job to rethink what other people decide.
    I mean it's like Pepsi or Coke. Straight or gay. Stay together or break up. Let them live their own life. It's almost like a condition for people to want to decide for other people what they should do with themselves. If someone asks for advice then go for it. This forum we seem to give advice to people who post things because that's what this place is for. If not to help that person someone else that needs will read it.
  17. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

To me it sounds like swapping one addiction for another. I mean, I'm sure marijuana is better than heroin, but it's still somebody feeding their addictive personality instead of controlling it. I'm not sure how that's "clean".
  18. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Both marijuana and opiates are bad. Now if we were to replace opiate use with marijuana, then it would not really solve the problem as it would just be replacing one addiction with another. There are so many options to help cure addiction that it is entirely dependent upon the person on whether or not he / she is willing to go through with them. I feel like it definitely does not serve as a cure, and probably only as a temporary solution only.
  19. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

20. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Of course I would never judge anyone but feel that the need to have anything is not good. Its like I am not on this anymore but I am now using this. Either way, there is still an addiction. I think in my opinion that the best thing to do is go cold turky.