An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana a gateway drug ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by downsouth, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good question. I think it depends upon the person themselves. Mostly I think pot smokers stick to pot. A person could start there and try other things that is possible. I would imagine they just end up right back to the pot because it seems to be the safest. I guess. A gateway? Not likely, I would say it is an accessory drug. The regular go to drug. It doesn't do much in my opinion. I really don't get the fascination. I've tried different things and have had no attachment to any of it. I guess it could be a gateway if someone is really looking for something to do something for them, and it doesn't. So therefore they go to something else. This all goes back to it depending upon the person themselves.
  2. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMild Member

I don't personally see marijuana as a gateway drug. I think it's more contingent on the person. I've seen people smoke pot for years and never have the inclination to try anything else and seen people smoke it and get curious about other drugs. Maybe they have an addictive personality, but not everyone who tries it goes on to bigger and badder things.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Marijuana may offer enjoyment and, a solution to your problems or a fantasy world where they are gone and when out of the drug state mind will realize you wasted your time and money on it. Soon a person will turn to stealing or robbing own family for the drugs and in the process lose more than they gain and only will care about their selfish pleasure with drugs which can take life. The person can try more hard drugs and, lose family they love and destroy their life for the sake of drugs and money will be wasted in the process as well.
  4. Dola91

Dola91 Member

I hope not! I can attest to smoking pot only if I am not mistaken. I would estimate the margin of error to be 0.
  5. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I don't believe in "Gateway" Drugs. That type of thinking is wrong. It's a "Gateway Personality" that enables usage and then eventually, addiction.

What I mean by this is quite simple; the person would use drugs they would have always have or would is an addictive personality to begin with. Thus, doing one drug is a "Gateway Personality" to these users, and they WANT to try more and more to get an even more intense high. It's like saying a gun isn't a gateway gun, it's the human holding it that's at fault if it goes off. When people say "Gateway Drug" it just appears to me they're shirking blame and not dealing with the issue head on. Don't lie or delude it.
  6. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

A lot of people would say that it is a gateway to other drugs. It would really depend on the propensity of a person's tolerance and them wanting more effects in their body when it comes to getting the said high. But my advice, it's better not touch it if you think you can get easily addicted. Or at least make some research first.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

When I joined this forum some time ago I came upon a story that stayed with me. Her is how it began.

"First of all, I'm 20 years old. I started with weed at when I was 13, but it quickly evolved into an experimental phase where I tried every single drug I could get my hands on. When I was 17 I tried opiates for the first time, and inmediately loved it. I started using heroin a year later, and by the time I turned 19, I had ruined my life. I'm now in recovery, 1 month clean and starting to look for jobs"

These leads me to believe it can be a gateway drug for some. Some may beg to differ and refer to it as a Gateway Personality and even that makes sense to me.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

I strongly believe that no, Marijuana is not a gateway drug. Wouldn't whatever led one to the Marijuana be the gateway factor in the first place. For instance, if someone begins to use Marijuana the gateway to drugs has already began and the blame is not of the Marijuana if one decides to try other drugs. The Marijuana is only to blame for its physiological effects on the body, and not ones decision to undergo in consuming other drugs. The person seeking other drugs does so merely on their interest on altered states of perception and what mind states drugs can cause, despite Marijuana.
  9. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

I always heard that, if you smoke marijuana you will eventually play with other more hard drugs, and usually that is what happened. Based on this theory, first will be legal drugs (as alcohol or tobacco) them marijuana and then hard drugs as cocaine. But I suppose that depends on the person.
  10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Let's be realistic: All drugs are potential 'gateway' drugs.

That includes caffeine, prescriptions, tobacco, & alcohol. I think the question really becomes is marijuana a gateway into legality issues? It's usually the first 'illicit' drug someone tries. Now, seeing as marijuana has been made out to be a boogie man of a drug it really hurts peoples (especially teenagers) ability to trust what one may say is true about other drugs. That's a huge problem.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Good point @downsouth! Marijuana isn't really the lesser evil many people think it is. Yes, it may have medicinal purposes but I think that issue is just the tip of the iceberg. There are lots of people who got addicted to marijuana at the outset but found that it the drug isn't enough to sate their addiction. Hence, they branch out to other drugs or substances. It's not just marijuana, though. People who've tried taking other substances get addicted in the same manner and end up expanding their drug coverage.
  12. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

No I don't think it is. I think one probably needs to have a disposition to exploring new things in the first instance, hence why most people who smoke marijuana might have explored other drugs. For example there are many people who have used other drugs but have never tried marijuana and vice versa - I think getting into drugs is something you have to want to do, after that it really just depends on what you can get your hands on.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

To consider a drug a gateway drug just because someone wants a higher effect is illogical to me. I don't really support marijuana, but all of the people I know that smoke regularly do not do any other drugs. The harder drugs are for the people who want to do harder drugs, and people shouldn't blame all of that on marijuana because that isn't logical.
  14. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I know people who smoke weed regularly and none of them do any other drugs. Maybe it is alot more to do with the person and their preferred choice of a high than it what drug is the first one they try.. not sure how to explain my thoughts on this but maybe its like trying to find the perfect fit jeans, you try on many and stop at the pair that you like best.
  15. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

I never found it as a gateway drug. My main substances were alcohol and marijuana. I never felt the need to progress to "harder" drugs. I think the reason people might progress to harder drugs is because they might, at some point, find themselves associated with someone who does, or has access to, hard drugs. Curiosity might get the best of them, and from then on the story writes itself. This is a pattern I noticed in a lot of the people I associated with during my drug days, but thankfully not one that I fell into myself.
    DK01 likes this.
  16. starbaby

starbaby Member

I really have no reason to believe that it is. Purely based on my experience and surrounding, I don't think so, but nothing I am saying is based on any research or anything.

Many of my friends, and myself as well, use other drugs recreationally, but it is the same situation for many of us; we tried those before every smoking pot. I don't know if it is due to our location or what, but many of use were never exposed to weed before getting into the harder drug scene. Weed came on as a complement to the other drugs.

On the other hand, I also have friends who smoke loads of weed but have not and will not ever try anything else. In fact, if anything, weed makes them too lazy to want to try anything else!

The main reason I don't feel like weed is a gateway drug is because I really thing that alcohol is the usual path to which people try other things. My friends and I experimenting with coke or extacy came on after a bunch of drinking led to some bad decision maker.
  17. piez

piez Member

I think it is kind of bogus to blame marijuana as a gateway drug. Anything can be a gateway to anything. It all depends on the particular person in the situation. If they are more prone to an addictive personality then yes it may lead to other things but it isn't fair to blame marijuana entirely. The person is also at fault.
    fruitdrank likes this.
  18. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

And to go off that, different people are more susceptible to different things. Food, for example, is a necessary and enjoyable part of life, but people can get addicted to it as well. It depends on the person and how they react to things that give them please. In that sense, cookies can be an gateway drug. It depends on how addictive a person's personality is.
  19. Overall, I think the answer lies somewhere situationally, so every person will be different. On a broad note though, I feel that once the stigma of marijuana being as dirty and punishable as say methamphetamine or cocaine, etc. eases up, that it won't have such a gateway effect. I feel that because some first time users see it as "forbidden fruit" that it kind of opens the door mentally to try other things. Education and adequate response through both social and legislative mediums can help with making the difference in how it is perceived in society.
  20. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I think if you are genetically rigged to have a hyper-reaction to it, then yeah it probably is. But I doubt it is for the vast majority of people.