An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana a gateway drug ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by downsouth, Dec 27, 2014.

1. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

Ehh. It's more of a drivethrough drug that leads to french fries and smoothies. ;) But no I do not think it is a gateway drug in the way it is portrayed to us, not everyone who ever ingests marijuana goes on to harder drugs. Many experiment, but it doesn't mean it will lead to regular use. I think that someone who wants to get high to begin with is going to want to experiment with more than one thing to alter their mind/body/consciousness. I like to think most people are well enough researched that they have a general idea of what they would and would not try.
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I would have to say no. Anything could be a gateway to anything. McDonald's could be a gateway to drug addiction.
  3. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Some people will say that it is a gateway drug but really I believe it comes to the person and their weakness. If they are easily addicted then no it is not.
    Shimus likes this.
  4. miro1231

miro1231 Member

From my experience, and I have smoked some marijuana in my time, it isn't a gateway drug at all. But it really depends on the kind of person that is doing it. I've had friends that had smoked weed and then went on to heavier things, but that really is subject to the addictive personality that they had, not that weed had anything to do with it. Personally I think some consider it a gateway drug because all of the people that do hard drugs have done marijuana at some points in their life. And thats just the case, there aren't people that are doing heroin but haven't smoked pot, as far as I know. Exceptions to this of course will be people that are force to do it (for example people that have been victims of human trafficking and forced to prostitute), but that's another case.
  5. Corten

Corten Member

I think that's not correct. It's easier to get than harder drugs and cheaper, too. If someone wants to try harder ones then it's up to them. In my opinion it depends on the person, I know people who smoke weed regularly, but never did or intents to do hard drugs and I know people who never smoked weed but tried speed and ecstasy, and still does on occasions.
  6. Volivien

Volivien Member

In my opinion it depends on the user, I was smoking for almost 5years now, but I never tried any other drugs and substance. For me its all in you. As long as you limit yourself and control your high for me it wouldnt be a gateway drug. As long as you are contented you wouldnt seek any other drugs or any illegal substance. :)
  7. Volivien

Volivien Member

I Agree. one of the most natural, simple and maybe the Exact answer. :)
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in my case, it did work as a gateway drug. It made me curious. I wanted to know how the other drugs would feel like. It's like if you were riding a little scooter and someone rode by in a Harley. If the dude stops, gets off and asks you if you want to try it, what do you think your answer would be? In my case, I got on the Harley and rode like a bat out of hell.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd have to say no it isn't. Just because somebody smokes marijuana, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to move on to other drugs.

People will take what they want, regardless. It doesn't work that you automatically take each drug step by step.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I think the thing with pot being a gateway drug is caused by the environment and not the pot itself. I mean, users are exposed to an environment where different substances are considered as a norm. For example, when we buy weed, the dealer usually offers other stuff. In my case it's ecstacy and meth. We were smart enough not to tangle with those substances though.
    Shimus likes this.
  11. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Very true, AAngelo. It's often not the drug, it's the environment in which is acquired or distributed that leads to usage. If it's readily available and a guy is like, "HERE TRY THIS" then obviously it's became a gateway. The drug itself is harmless, it's the people peddling them and then drugs behind that.
  12. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Yes and know.

To be fair, marijuana isn't even a drug. That's part of the reason states are starting to legalize it. But it's still seen as the "bad thing to do" so it does open people up to trying new things for "better highs".
  13. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

It depends on a multitude of factors, which include the user, their surrounding environment, and their behaviors. For a simple answer, I would say yes and no. Some people will just stick with smoking pot satisfactorily. While others will use it as a gateway into harder and more dangerous drugs.
  14. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I honestly don't think that it is. I've talked about this before but I honestly don't think that marijuana is harmful at all as long as it is handled properly and by people who are mature enough to use them. I personally think that it does a lot more harm than good.
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I know this is such a typical answer, but I think that it really depends on the person. There are people who just smoke and stay in their lane, and then there are people who just want a better high and go onto dangerous drugs. I have seen both instances and I really think that it is a personal thing.
  16. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

My sentiments exactly. I'm glad someone else has noticed this as well.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Saying that substances are to blame for people getting addicted is like saying food is the reason why some people are obese. Sure, there might be a shred of truth in it, but it's hardly an accurate representation of what the real problem is.
  18. Grimp

Grimp Member

Depending on your circumstances, it can act as a gateway of course, especially if you live in a country where it is illegal. You go to your drug dealer asking for some weed, he is sitting on the floor with a dvd case on his knee snorting some white powder off it. You give him your tenner, he gives you your weed and just as you are about to walk out of the door he says "oi, u want a line mate?" ....
    As opposed to, you go into the coffeeshop, you buy your marijuana from the store clerk, he hands it to you and you walk off. The dealer is your friend or "friend", the store clerk is the store clerk. A friend can offer a whole spectrum of gateways, a store clerk offers what they offer.
  19. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I don't think so, there about 1 in 7 persons who tries other drugs after mary-jane. In fact I know several people who used to smoke, but never tried more, never even thought of trying more.
  20. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I honestly just think it depends on the person. I actually know of the opposite to happen for some people, I know quite a few people who were using more addictive substances that were more harmful than weed and then stopped using those substances to heavily start using weed. I think at the end of the day it all really depends on the person and what they are willing to try!