An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana a gateway drug ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by downsouth, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Devonne

Devonne Member

I believe that alcohol is more of a gateway drug that weed. Alcohol seems to make you feel the effects of other drugs 10 fold. Weed on the other hand makes you relax and just not stress, and for a lot of people that's enough. I have been doing some research on this though, and it seems like for some people weed just sin't enough and those people are people who have addiction running through their families. Some users do develop a THC tolerance and for them weed may not be enough enough so going out and finding cheaper and harder drugs may be more appealing to them at that time. That is why some users take a "tolerance break" here and there.
  2. seatones

seatones Member

I know there's no statistical data to back up any claims, but from what i've seen, I could probably say yes in some cases. From personal experience I've watched friends who would have never done coke end up doing it and it begs the question: how'd they end up there? It seems to me like alcohol is a gateway to realizing that being intoxicated is fun. The next logical step is marijuana because it's the next most socially excepted drug. It's also a black market drug and makes people realize that getting things from the black market isn't all that hard, or scary. Marijuana can be fun but isn't a "party drug" and I can see why people would eventually want to keep getting high but have it be more exciting. This could potentially lead people to cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone but I would say it is a gateway for some people. Alcohol might be the first "gate" but any other gate along the way is worth mentioning.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Yes, it is. A young lady at know who is in recovery from meth now started out smoking pot, then tried meth and was hooked for some time before entering a treatment program and becoming a Christian.
  4. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I think it's down to willpower. While yes, you might crave a better "high", it's down to the person's own willpower to either refuse anything stronger, or just to avoid it all together.
  5. Pendulum

Pendulum Member

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I've seen friends of mine start out by smoking marijuana and then delving deeper into the world of drugs, going on to consume "harder" drugs. I'm not saying it is a "gateway drug", but it may be the most accessible substance for new consumers, which may expose them to other types of drugs. I haven't seen any study or evidence that supports this way of thinking, though, it's merely an opinion.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have to say that I have seen some people only smoke marijuana their whole life and never try any other drugs. However for others it may become a gateway drug. It all depends on the individual. I have to say that I never found it really harmful, but then I smoked it once a year. Anyway, I do not think that any drugs are good to take and I know that we certainly don't need them.
  7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

It depends on the person , if the person has a history with addiction it is likely that the high of weed will soon become not enough and he will sought out to harder drugs but at the same time every user is not likely to report this so it really depends on the person not the marijuana
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It does depend on the person - but the drug itself? No way. Tobacco? Alcohol? Same deal. They're not gateway drugs. NOTHING is a gateway drug - it's the person behind the decision to use. Would their personality allow them to "Step up" their using to the "next level" if not supervised/they got hooked on something else? IF so, keep those people away from the drugs - every drug would be a gateway drug.

For people like me who see it for what it is, no it's not a gateway drug. Nothing is. You only let yourself use after you've experienced because you're seeking that next, more potent "High".
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Thanks for dropping all this knowledge. These are things most people don't know. Marijuana is not just a threat to pharmaceutical company's, but to cotton and oil as well. It's definitely not a 'gateway' drug. I actually consider tobacco cigarettes to be a bigger gateway to harder things.
  10. Shimus

Yeah. Most people leave out the fact it damages other industries, not just drugs. But some of those other industries ARE drugs (like Tobacco - still a drug.)

And that's why people put up a fight - it'll hamper their sales, kill their plantations for tobacco/cotton and generally put a damper on things since those same companies can't tax it or make a profit off it - they just lose more a corner of a market and get more of a "beast backed into a corner" type vibes and lash out.

Hope the widespread legalization around from where I am won't have this happen, but we never know.
  11. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I believe that it is. I feel this way because after it has been in the system for so long people usually need something stronger. I've seen a million times when people start out using it and then they are on other drugs. I mean some seem to feel that they have mastered it and that its not enough anymore.
  12. Shimus

I just think the term "Gateway Drug" is used to shift blame or make themselves feel better for a bad decision by saying, "Oh this drug got me involved in this drug."

NO. False. You used both(or more) of a harmful drug, that was just poor decision making processes on your end. Another drug did not 'launch you' into finding another drug. If it did, then that again, is YOUR decision to do so. The drug is a tool; it's not sentient; it cannot feel; it cannot even make decisions. YOU do.

So when I feel people use that word, I think they're just trying to justify higher levels of usage.