An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana addictive?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Thank you for all the interesting replies. Opinions seem to still be divided about this. IMO the best solution is to stay away from it altogether, specially if you are the type of person that gets addicted to things fairly easily. It's just not worth the risk.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

You can always use something, and not be addicted to it, I play video games 3 or 4 times a week, and not because of that I consider myself as a video game addict, if you know how to handle things, and keep them for the right moment they don't necessary has to be addictions.

I think you are addicted, when you can only think in needing something, I never felt that way with weed or video games, but with cigarettes, yes I did, so it depends, on how you use it or how you feel without it.
  3. jimoor

jimoor Member

I don't think it could be said that marijuana is addictive in the same way that other substances such as heroin or cocaine could be; it is more of a psychological dependence rather than a physical one. With that in mind however, believing that you require something is, to me, no less dangerous than actually requiring something as both often have the same feelings of dependence.

If someone is used to smoking everyday and has done so for quite some time then it could well be that they do not want to get away from this feeling so I would say it is addictive in the literal sense of the word.
  4. mildredbonk89

mildredbonk89 Member

It is addictive in its own way. I feel that it is mostly mental. You become used to functioning under its influence; and this is dangerous because most people are still fully functional on a societal level while regularly using marijuana. There is no obvious reason to quit--other than financial reasons. It doesn't destroy lives like alcohol does. But it does become a habit that can be very difficult to break. I have been smoking marijuana for over a decade, and though I do not smoke it all day by any means, I still need it to fall asleep at night.
  5. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I agree that anything can be a drug and/or addictive. I personally was a resident of a medical marijuana state and had obtained my card for depression and anxiety. While I found that it did help in most cases, when I tried to take a break from it, I would get just as irritable as trying to quit smoking cigarettes. I had become used to a reality where I was calm and mellow at all times, so when I didn't have it I craved being in that state again. So though I wasn't physically addicted to marijuana, I believe that I was psychologically addicted.
  6. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Regardless of what people say, the chemical imbalances that result in the "Stoned Feeling" do indeed impact long term regions of your brain, namely memories and the ability to recall certain events, hence "Being Burned out". The body will form varying degrees of "dependence" depending on your usage history.

If you have an addictive personality... it will lead down a dark road. I have some inkling of willpower so I can smoke and drop it with little and less problems. The more ample question to ask is how much do you smoke? How often? If both answers are A LOT, then you are addicted.