An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana An Upper Or a Downer

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by melody, Feb 24, 2016.

1. EJR

EJR Member

Marijauna is both an upper and downer depending on the individual. I have experienced both and the more I became aware of who I genuinely was as a person the more of a downer it became. However, the times in my life that I was wearing a mask for protection and self preservation it was an upper. Yet, when it was an upper for me and I had my mask that's when the addiction settled in each time. I finally get what they say in the AA meetings that you will always be an addict. Those trigger moments linger just beyond the surface and you must always put on your whole armor to ward off those spirits of bondage to the sins that so easily beset us whether from generational curses or from things that has happened to us in our childhood. Marijuana is a gateway drug to open up all those dark places and demons we try to hide.
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in my experience, it can be an upper or a downer depending on the type of weed you're smoking. For example, smoking sinsemilla always acted like an upper to me. But I've smoked some that got me to sleep in about 20 minutes after smoking.
  3. Fig666

Fig666 Member

I have really bad depression and the antidepressant zoloft actually makes my symptoms worse. On the converse marijuana specifically sativa when ingested behaves like a really strong upper for me.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Fig666 hi there. thanks for sharing. from what i understand, marijuana affects people differently.... as do anti-depressants... i think each person needs to find out what works for them, working with a healthcare professional for guidance. :)
  5. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

Id say for me, its upper when im high and downer when im sober
  6. Peetwo

Peetwo Member

I am one of the people who cured using marijuana. When i was a little bit younger i suffered from asthma am having a hard time to breath everytime i walked from our house to school. I know it sounds weird that i smoke even i have asthma but yes i tried it. At first, my body doesn't like the taste of marijuana but one of my friends told me if i will continue using this it will help me to breath properly. But luckily it helps me and yes until now I'm still smoking marijuana. https://www.worldwide-marijuana-see...-hack-or-two-to-make-smoking-more-pleasurable
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

there are so many differing stories about marijuana use. i'd be skeptical before believing it could be a "cure" to anything. too many people report becoming addicted to it, even if it's a mild addiction...and, with so many dealers out there putting god knows what in it (synthetic crap)... it's dangerous. i saw first hand a loved one smoke marijuana and end up in the hospital paralyzed for about an hour... yes... paralyzed. it wasn't synthetic either.