An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana bad?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Lucy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Member

Is marijuana bad? I don't smoke it, but everyone keeps recommending it lol. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be or is it okay?
    rabst likes this.
  2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Well, with every hard drug, you will find that it affects people differently,but every hard drug can mostly certainly be harmful to your body. With Marijuana, mixed, straight or with different "grades", you will find that it affects you more or less than it affects someone else, what I can tell you is that, for some people, when they first try it, it heightens their short term memory a lot, and they become more "creative" during a relatively small time. Marijuana is good if used for medically reasons but it has it's negative effects when used just from its raw state.
    rabst likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Marijuana can be prescribed by a doctor for ailments. So to say that alcohol is illegal in all aspects is false. Like any drug, abusing it is harmful.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  4. DAE89

DAE89 Member

Like all substances, marijuana can be bad if you abuse it to the point where you begin to neglect social/academic/work obligations. It can be bad if you have an addictive personality. From a health standpoint, it's one of the safest substances you can ingest, since it's pretty much functionally impossible to overdose on. If you smoke it, you open yourself up to the health risks associated with smoking but if you ingest marijuana via vaporizing or edibles then it's much healthier. In my opinion, alcohol is much worse of a substance than marijuana.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Marijuana can affect you brain, it can cause short term memory loss which is a serious problem. It may be safer than other drugs, but anything that alters your mind is dangerous in my opinion. You can hallucinate, lack sound judgement, do stupid things ect. I would say stay away, it isn't worth it.
    Clair likes this.
  6. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

Taking that into consideration, any other drugs or alcohol can do the same thing. I think that it depends on how often you use it and how much you do at one time that determines whether or not it's dangerous to your own health and well-being. However, I agree with you. Whatever high you get off of it isn't worth it.
    rabst likes this.
  7. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

Lucy, in my opinion marijuana is not meant to be smoked, but instead it's meant to be eaten. I don't believe people are meant to inhale any smoke because of the exposure of carbon monoxide in the lungs. Consuming marijuana in the form of an edible eliminates this problem. When you eat cannabis, it gets metabolized by the liver, so delta-9 THC becomes 11-hydroxy-THC, which then passes the blood-brain barrier faster and has more of a trippy effect than normal THC. This makes the drug last a whole lot longer inside your body and THC reaches more parts of your body. Marijuana can be bad if you use it the wrong way and , just like everything else it can be abused and overused.
    rabst likes this.
  8. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I believe marijuana is bad in the same way that tobacco, alcohol, saturated fats, salt, sugar, among others, are bad as well. You put your body at risk if you consume too much of any of these substances. And that's the main problem, knowing when to stop.

Also, marijuana affects your perception of reality, much like alcohol does. Day to day activities can become hazardous when doing them under the influence of drugs.

While marijuana consumption has its benefits, can we trust the human race to use it responsibly? Alcohol is legal, yet I believe every day at least one person dies in the world from an alcohol-related accident. If marijuana was legal, would we start seeing more marijuana related deaths?

I believe we are just not responsible enough. And that's where the real danger is.
    rabst likes this.
  9. Glen

Glen Member

While the medical benefits can prove to outweigh the side effects when marijuana is used medically, using it recreationally can be bad.
    Like any other drug, it alters your mind in one way or another. While small doses can be seemingly harmless, consuming too much can be potentially dangerous to one's health. Over time, the side effects will start to show.
    Frequently using it will cause the user to have a craving for more. If the user withdraws, withdrawal symptoms are only small or unnoticeable, marijuana still has a slightly addictive effect.
    Although it is much less harmful than most other drugs out there, it still is a drug nonetheless.
    rabst likes this.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Marijuana is illegal here and I never thought that it is not bad.
    It can cause addiction and there are even crimes related to it. It is because as they said, being high will this drug can give one hallucinations.
    Marijuana is illegal here and I never thought that it is not bad.
    It can cause addiction and there are even crimes related to it. It is because as they said, being high will this drug can give one hallucinations.
    rabst likes this.
  11. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I am not so sure whether marijuana is bad really. However, I believe it is better to avoid it unless with doctor's prescription. I believe it should be alright if we are not going to be addicted to it.
  12. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

For every action there is a consequence. I wouldn't say that marijuana is totally bad because people use it for medical purposes, mainly for eye problems. It also has physical and psychological benefits on the autonomic nervous system in our bodies. It relaxes our bodies and it can also energize the brain. That is beneficial because if the brain is energized, it can think more clearly and effectively. Marijuana also has disadvantages mainly because it kills the brain cells. It has an effect on short term memory and cause mental illnesses. It can also cause cancer. As I stated before, every action has a consequence. There are consequences for eating too much, being in gangs, being on social media, etc., It is just one of those things that you have to consider the consequences before doing it.
  13. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that special consideration has to go into the WHY of it all. Are you using it to relieve pain? Are you using it to cover up some emotions or unhappiness? These are huge questions that are going to seriously determine what's going on. I can speak for myself here. When my mother died, having never even tried "weed" before, I began smoking every day. I was doing it as a way to cover up how I was feeling, because I wasn't able to deal with those feelings, or wasn't willing to deal with them. This went on for over 2 years, until something changed. Intent is a big thing when it comes to the "bad" or "good" of it all.
  14. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I personally believe marijuana can be used for both bad and good. As most everyone knows marijuana in most states is illegal, however there are a few states like California and Florida where a certain amount of marijuana is legal through eight doctors care. Most teenagers and adults seem to abuse marijuana in efforts to getting high . That is why I personally believe that many states will not legalize the use of marijuana for that purpose. When this is smoked it has affects on your judgment and sometimes motor skills. It also depends on many different things how much a person uses per day, how much a person Is in body weight .So I guess it would be left to the person to own opinion whether it is better good like anything in the world it can be of use if not used properly.
  15. Acube

Acube Member

It has medicinal properties and is been tested for its application for various illnesses. However when used just for pleasure and done frequently it has a lot of risks, these are just a few:
    1.Memory loss
    2.Impaired Vision
    3.Loss of concentration
    4.Altered Mood
    5.Impaired Coordination
    6.Disrupts Learning
    7.Lung Failer
    8.Hallucination
    9.Paranoia
    10.Respertory Illness
    This list is not exhausted yet and studies has shown that the risks far outweighs the medicinal benefits.
    Nick W. likes this.
  16. Nick W.

I think that you're right Acube. There are a significant amount of risks involved, and it's important to know what you're getting yourself into. Also, knowing how this drug can interact/interfere with any medications your taking is very important.

I know that this is a hot button issue, and I myself am torn on the "right and wrong" of it all, but at the end of the day I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  17. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

It is bad, and I will explain why, and even include links to science journals to prove my points.

Marijuana has been proven to harm the brain of young users, making them, for want of a better term, stupider. I am guessing by your mannerisms, you are quite young. I have first hand accounts with users, and this isn't negligible amount of damage. P.N.A.S. Stands for "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" of the united states of America. http://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657.abstract

Marijuana is addicting, addictions are never a good thing. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-40-adolescents-withdrawal-symptoms-drug.html . This is a dailymail article that has quotes from a study published in the journal of addictive medicine.

This last point, I will make with just pure logic. The only thing youth like your self gain from marijuana is a temporary high. The negatives not listed above, is the possibility of getting caught if it is illegal in your area, the possibility of a paranoid feeling (many users have reported this), the possibility of triggering memories (I know someone this happened to), and assuming it is illegal in your area, you could be inhaling anything from cocaine, to embalming fluids.

I won't get into the whole "you could be supporting criminals" thing, because I would be here all night typing away.
    Clair and Nick W. like this.
  18. Nick W.

The "supporting criminals" and criminal enterprise, is something that shouldn't be glossed over either. I mean, it is a very valid point.
  19. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

Nick , you are quite correct, it is not something that should be glossed over. Specially due to how unrecognized it is. Just because the person someone purchases marijuana from may be an ethical drug dealer (if someone is a dealer), doesn't mean the person they got drugs from is as well. You don't pull pot seeds out of mid air. They have to come from somewhere. With every dollar anyone spends on pot, they are helping the bad guys who will sell anything, to anyone. In a direct and indirect way, someone purchasing pot is contributing to the crimes we see today. Crimes people end up dead for. Tell me pot hasn't killed, the drug , no, but the money from it, most likely.
    Clair and Nick W. like this.
  20. Nick W.

And lets be honest... it's not like all Marijuana traffickers are ONLY trafficking Marijuana either. Supporting part of any enterprise is supporting the whole enterprise, and that includes everything they traffic, everyone that's victimized, everyone that has died, and everyone that is affected by the usage of those drugs, guns, or whatever.
    Clair likes this.