An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana bad?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Lucy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's bad at all especially if administered correctly and with the right doses at the right times. I think it's especially better when compared to the alternatives like alcohol which causes deaths and broken lives. I think many people have different interpretations of it because there's just been so much propaganda released over decades and also a lot of people who criticize it have never tried it.
  2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Marijuana is good and bad. The bad aspect of it comes when it is not used properly and is just smoked with the intention to get healed from it that way. I have come to realize that persons respond to it differently, the same amount that will cause my pain relief will drive another person literally insane. I know a lot of young persons who have to be getting psychiatric medication due to marijuana smoking.
  3. Nikkishea21

More countries are slowly getting on board to legalize Marijuana. I am a Jamaican and marijuana smoking is a part of the custom of Rastafarian and we have a wide cross section of them here. They are pushing to have the drug legalize and the fact is that it grows well here compared to other areas of the world and this could boost foreign exchange for the country. The downside however, is that if it is legalized this can also be detrimental to the users of the drug as i believe it will be abused. Legalize it only for commercial purposes such as to medical facilities not to widen the smoking of it as this is using it in the illegal form and we should try and curtail this.
  4. Nikkishea21

There is also the good side of it as well that is proven scientifically as well, it is not all bad. The common man should not have access to it under the disguise of gaining its medicinal value. The drug in its pure form should be harnessed in a laboratory and its medicinal value extracted and used appropriately.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

As with everything, if you overdo it, there will be some bad effects. Marijuana is a herb, and people have used it for a long time to deal with all kinds of ailments. Smoking it is only one of the many forms of how it is being used.
    Personally, even though I don't use it, I think that marijuana is a medicinal herb, and used correctly, it can help people deal with serious illnesses and pain.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member

Never fall for the message of, "Marijuana is from the earth". This is because all drugs come from the Earth. Trust me on this one, marijuana smokers love to use this to justify its usage. With that being said, all drugs affect us differently. I do think that Marijuana is a safer drug than say Cocaine. But, that's like saying driving 35 mph without a seat belt is safer than driving 50 mph. You have to realize for every action is a consequence. If you're a happy, healthy, productive individual, then you don't need to anything. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. Good luck with your decision.
  7. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

My general thought is that if you have to justify usage, that is not obvious, you already know what's what.
  8. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

This is spot on!
    From of a personal perspective I will admit that I have smoked, and enjoyed weed in the past. In college most of my friends were smoking and we always had a good time. However, after a couple of months of regular, daily usage I noticed that I had trouble completing my sentences and that my motor skills were lacking. Being involved in numerous sports this was a big problem, not to mention that my motivation levels were at an all time low.

With marijuana I would advise to use it with caution as DAE9 mentioned. I would also suggest to stay away from this substance if you or your family have a history of mental health issues as marijuana is known to have caused some kind of psychosis.

If you must try it make sure your with people you trust in a nice and cozy environment.
    -LoyalServant
    Nick W. likes this.
  9. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

After my father died from lung cancer ofter years of smoking cigarettes, I vowed that I will never smoke anything in my life! When I visited him at the hospital as a child and saw an x-ray of his lungs, even as a child I knew that the lungs should not have been black inside. that was all I needed to know that I would never put that kind of toxin into my body willingly.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Sorry to hear about your father but I don't think marijuana is all that similar to cigarettes apart from the fact that both are smoked. Cigarettes are made of tobacco which are given a lot of treatments and thus it contains a lot of chemicals like nicotine and tar, the latter being the one that's bad for you, whereas marijuana is smoked without needing to be processed or introduced to chemicals. As long as tar isn't present then it shouldn't be as unhealthy as cigarettes and this is why even vaporizers aren't as deadly as cigarettes because your only using nicotine and on top of that just vapors which is less harsh on the lungs than smoke because it's water based.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Marijuana isn't a bad thing. The abuse of it however is. This can be said about anything even food. People that sale it illegally are known as drug dealers. Now how bad does that sound? Pretty bad so that puts a bad name on it. It's really a medicine, and yes a doctor can prescribe it.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

While it's correct that SOME doctors can prescribe MMJ, in states where it is legal, it is a drug, and this forum we have some specific rules. Just a reminder guys. Nobody needs to get bent out of shape.

Do Not Promote Drug Use or Other Illegal Activities
    Since our community is geared toward awareness and prevention of substance abuse, we naturally do not advocate substance use of any kind, neither illegal or prescriptive. Your decision to use any substance is a personal matter that you must weigh carefully in your life. Regardless of your stance on any substance in particular, or your current drug use, we prohibit the explicit promotion of drug use of any kind, or the participation in any other illegal activities, in the forums.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good question. If you have no interest in it. Probably it is better to not get involved with it. It is really hard to say whether it is good or not considering the history of it. The argument always is well nobody has ever done anything bad on it. Do what is right for you. It is mind and body altering. There are plenty of other things to get into that are mind altering. Exercise is mind altering. Sitting around vegetating on a mary j high. I guess that is productive, to each his own.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One of my neighbors was a marijuana addict and since I know what happened to him, I can't say that marijuana is OK. Of course it's said that in small doses marijuana can be beneficial to someone but the question is where will you draw the line when you start taking the drug [not for medication]? Wouldn't addiction to the drug negate any benefits the drug might have in the right doses?
    Nick W. likes this.
  15. The issue simply isn't black and white. Some people enjoy it in moderation and utilize it as a relaxation tool or as a way to inspire creativity while others abuse it and cannot function without it. Just like any other intoxicant it can be harmful if abused.
    Nick W. likes this.