An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana free in your place?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Vinaya, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Marijuana is illegal in out country. Producing, buying, selling and consumption is punishable by law. Interestingly, Marijuana become is free once a year. During a festival called Shiva Ratri, you can buy sell and consume marijuana openly.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Which country are you from? I do agree that it's quite odd that once a year you can buy, sell, and consume marijuana legally. I'm pretty sure the stash that they will buy during that festival would last for more than a day, so they should not get caught consuming it.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

As far as I know, here in South Africa cannabis is illegal. But that doesn't stop anyone from high school students to adults from using it at parties that have a lot of people attending. I've never heard of any of my weed smoking friends getting caught as most of the local police force has not received any training, never mind a secondary education, so they can't tell the difference between lawn grass and marijuana. I guess in a country such as USA, the police are a lot better at fighting the war against drugs and therefore the laws are in favor of legalizing cannabis at the moment.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Completely illegal in the UK, it's a Class B controlled substance so it's in the same category as Speed and Mephedrone. Possession is an arrestable offense, as is cultivating, etc and may or may not result in being fined and/or being sentenced to prison. This has tightened up, as a few tears back they did declassify it to a Class C drug but it's back to Class B due to increase in potency.
  5. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

In most states it is still illegal in the U.S. but there are a few states that are making it legal. I am not sure how many are legal now as I have lost track. I do not know how this is going to affect consumption but I am sure we will see after a while. I do not really see a problem with it being legal since people are consuming it anyway and do not really have a problem getting it.
  6. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

Where I live (the state of New Jersey in the U.S.), marijuana is still illegal by law. Yet, if one were to be caught with marijuana, you are most likely to be let off with a simple warning. If you are using marijuana for simple recreational use, the local police officers are unlikely to hassle you heavily for it.
  7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

In my experience (in the UK), the police rarely even arrest people for possession of small amounts of it anymore but tend to just hand out a caution, which is basically a warning not to do it again. Its use has become so common, particularly amongst the younger generation that they would run out of cells and free courts long before they ran out of people to arrest. In the inner-city area where I live, its smoked virtually openly now, I've even seen people smoking it while talking to the police, with no consequences, its quite a bizarre situation to me. The police still actively bust houses used as 'farms' to grow it and have recently begun using drug-testing kits on drivers to cut down on drug-driving, but I see, and smell, people using it every day.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is interesting. If something is illegal all year round, but is openly legal on one day of the year, why not just approve it at all times? It doesn't make sense to offer something to people once a year and tell them it's okay for that one day. I've never heard of this before.
  9. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Wow, interesting! It is always enlightening to read a lot. I had no idea about this. In Jamaica it is legal for medicinal purposes and smoking one spliff is now ok! This change was made sometime last year, as normally persons would get arrested and charged if they were caught smoking even a spliff.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Spot on! I'm also from South Africa and cannabis is definitely an illegal substance. However, school kids openly smoke the stuff, I've noticed this every time I run errands in town. The police are very lax to tackle the situation, or simply don't care, I'm betting on the latter.
    SashaS likes this.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is a funny in a way, so if no one can have marijuana the rest of the year where do they get it from for that day? I doubt that it's all imported.
  12. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

There's marijuana all kinds of places where it's illegal, I don't know why it should be any different here. That's really interesting that it's allowed just during this festival though, I've never heard of anything like that.

I'm actually getting ready to move to Oregon which has just made it legal. I have visited a few times since they did that and haven't really noticed much difference in the people. Personally I think it is better for people to buy in a licensed storefront than go through a drug dealer who could expose you to other drugs or other criminal activity.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Marijuana is becoming legal in more and more states. Most states if they have not legalized for medical purposes probably will in the next 5 years, also, it will be something that will probably be legal to possess and smoke small quantities for recreational purposes as well.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Marijuana is an illegal substance here. But just like any other places where it is illegal, there are still users as we can hear or sometimes watch about it in the news. So our place is not a marijuana free place.
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Even though I don't promote the use of marijuana, I don't mind that it's really cheap and freely available where I live. As, interestingly enough, less people are inclined here to use it than in places where it is illegal and connected with heavy fines. On any typical day around here, the smell of marijuana is wafting through many parks and neighborhoods, but it's only a relatively small percentage of the population that uses it. The same goes with alcohol. People here generally prefer sweet food to deal with their daily struggles. And there are quite a few, as it's a dangerous place where you have to have your wits about you at all times.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana is still illegal where I live but I see people smoke it every time I take a walk in the woods that are close to where I live.

Legal or not marijuana is sold and consumed almost everywhere in the world. The difference would in the quality and price. Since most people who use marijuana are often introduced to dealers by those who already know them, it is very easy for these people to get marijuana.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Marijuana is not illegal in every U.S state. Still the price is kind of high, so it's unlikely it would be free at any time. When weed was illegal here it was way cheaper and you could probably get some for free then. This really seems backwards to me. Unless it's grown by someone and they give it away, that's the only way I see that happening.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It's only fully legal in two states in the United States, but a number of states have medical marijuana programs where you need a doctor's prescription. In various municipalities, it is decriminalized to the point where you will not go to jail for it, but it is still technically illegal and you may receive a summons for it.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

In the Netherlands it's legal, but their laws are kind of ambiguous. I've heard of people getting arrested for growing several plants in their attics, but those who only have a maximum of 3 plants don't. How odd is that? Apparently you can buy it and consume it at those coffee shops, but outside those places law is kind of ambiguous.
  20. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Here in Venezuela marijuana is still illegal and probably will remain that way for a long time. Contrary to the US growing social acceptance for cannabis, as well as many other countries that have legalized medical consumption. Here in my country marijuana is still comparable to crack cocaine or other hard drugs.