An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana Legal Where You're From

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by rcdpink, Apr 16, 2015.

1. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

In my country, citizens are allowed to carry a point of marijuana on their person at any point in time. Do you think it should be legal to have even a point, cause I don't. I do understand that marijuana is used in the medical field, but opening up this gate for citizens to have marijuana on them could be the beginning of chaos. Am just not used to this here, cause we used to be free of marijuana on our streets. Now, even my little brother may start smoking.
    Milz Hopkins likes this.
  2. serpes

serpes Member

I don’t think it should be legal either. There are enough problems in the world: cancer, teenage pregnancy, obesity, diabetes. Let's fix those before making new problems. Marijuana is not as harmless as some might say, it is addictive, and it does affect the brain.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, it's not legal where I live (UK) and I don't see it being legalized any time in the near future either. It was temporarily declassified to a Class C drug for a while, meaning that carrying small amounts was no longer an arrestable offense. However, it was soon changed back to a Class B drug again due to a major increase in potency. The marijuana on the UK streets at the moment has been shown to be three times stronger than it was ten years ago due to the way people are growing it. I don't disagree with using marijuana for medicinal use but I don't think it should be made legal for recreational use.
  4. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Illegal, but I don't have anything against legalizing it. Why? People will smoke it anyways, whether it's legal or not. But it would reduce the number of drug dealers plus government could control marijuana market. I think it would be better if it was legalized.
  5. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Last time I've checked, no. As my fellow nationalist Sparkster stated, I too don't see it legalized in the future. I really don't see why it would be.
    Last year if I recall correctly around this time a festival, as they call it, took place in Hyde park. They wanted to protest and such to legalize all this. A few hours later, the UK police went all out on these guys. They want to do it again, now in Manchester's Platt Fields Park. I'm very curious of what'll happen with them this year! :)
  6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

It is legal in my city for medicinal use only, but I am only hours away from Colorado where it is legal to every one. Marijuana has been legal in every state I have lived in for the last 12 years. That includes Hawaii, California, Nevada and New Mexico. I think they should knock off all the political BS and make it legal nationwide.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I expect that the police will go all-out again, punishing people for taking part in a peaceful protest. In the meantime, people will be getting mugged, shoplifters will be stealing and houses will be getting burgled and there won't be the manpower to respond within an acceptable timeframe.
  8. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

No it is not legal where I am from. I think that it should be because people smoke it anyway. I actually think it should be legal everywhere based on the fact that people are going to smoke it anyway. It is not fair that some states can smoke weed legally while others cannot. It should be legal just like alcohol, because those are the main two things that it seems like everyone do these days. On the other hand drugs such as cocaine, meth, and heroine should be illegal.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is illegal in here and I think that it should never be a legal substance here. There are already some local news that children are being caught having marijuana in school and some areas. Not sure if that is for their use or they are just being used by the syndicates to deliver since they will not still be held liable by the law. So, definitely it should not be legal here.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm from Hawaii. It is not legal to use Marijuana in Hawaii.
  11. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

California does have medical marijuana pharmacies. To access these you need a medical card from a doctor. The card gets check each time you enter. It is legal for medicinal purposes.
  12. Merricat

Merricat Member

I live in Portland, Oregon and it’s going to be legal here in July, but for all intents and purposes it’s legal now. The cops don’t care if you smoke it and it’s not uncommon to see people smoking in public or smell it. There is a culture here of people openly talking about it the same way you’d mention to a coworker that you went out for a drink with friends. I had a friend offer to help me get a job at the medical marijuana dispensary where she works, and while I need a new job badly, I think it would just be too much temptation.
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

In a sense I suppose it's legal. You can smoke it medicinally. So, it's legal like carrying around Xanax you have a prescription for is legal. I feel like we've discussed this before but I've always been behind decriminalizing it. Treating addictions through jailing an addict is a sure way to fix nothing & cost everything. Growing weed & carrying a certain amount can result in jailing still.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While its not legal here, I don't have any problem if it was to be legalized. I think more and more people are smoking marijuana these days, I even know member of the police force that are using it.

Its never going to be eradicated so imagine how much revenue the governments would make if it was legalized and taxed?
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I live in Washington State where it is now legal to have a personal mount of weed. I have not noticed many issues though or an increased level of crime because of it. It could be that I am just out of touch with the reality of it because I do not smoke it.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I'm in the Caribbean and it's illegal in all Caribbean islands as far as I am aware. We have a way of following North America so I am sure there will be talks here about legalizing it. In fact the discussions have started a while now but I don't see it being legalized any time soon and I am good with that.
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It would be interesting to see what statistics are being monitored by the countries and states ine the US to see what impact it's made.

Has crime rate decreased, has the use of marijuana increased etc. Just so we might get a picture of what affects its had.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, even though I'm not pro marijuana, I must admit that being made legal might actually decrease the consume rate. People might actually lost interest in it because it wouldn't be so "badass" anymore to smoke pot.
  19. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Nope, not where I'm living (Germany). Though I'm originally from Canada and, if it's not legal, it is pretty common and does not get such harsh punishments as in Germany or in the States.

20. I do not like the idea of legalization. But, there is a direct correlation between a reduction in crime if marijuana was legalized. My professor presented it to the class. So, many people sneak around to get it. In some states they wind up in jail. I think that there should be harsher consequences for harsher crimes like child trafficking. There is not a war on that like it should be in my opinion.