An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana Legal Where You're From

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by rcdpink, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have to agree, in the great scheme of things, I think there are more serious crimes being committed than smoking marijuana. While governments are saying that the jails are full to capacity then maybe it IS time to look at legalizing or at least decriminalizing it in some way?
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I'm from Manila and there is no way you could smoke weed here. The Philippines is very strict when it comes to narcotics.
  3. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I'm in California so it is! But it's still a gray area and there are certain amount that we are allowed to have. But you won't go to jail for it, unless you sell it illegally, like if you don't have a license to do it.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Marijuana is not legal here in my country, although some groups have been pushing for its legalization. Conservative politicians have opposed it. And I think it would take a very long time for marijuana to be legalized here. It may not even happen.
  5. Lilypad

Lilypad Member

Nope, marijuana is illegal where I'm from (Kenya), most people associate it with deviant behavior like violence and the like and are misinformed about the effects it has on a person. I do know many people who smoke it but really have to hide as the penalties for being found with it are severe.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Here in my country, marijuana is illegal. You could get jailed if it has been proven that you are a user/trader of marijuana. You could be sentenced to life imprisonment. However, I am in favor of medical marijuana though it's not also widely accepted here.
  7. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Wow! I'm surprised! I didn't think marijuana could be legal anywhere. In my country, It is completely illegal. You mustn't be caught with it. But like most people has stated on this thread, the consumption might actually be reduced if it was legalized. The curiosity would greatly increase and if it becomes common, most people won't find it so exciting anymore.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It's not legal here in the Philippines.There's also no chance of it being legalized in the near future because I don't hear anyone proposing of its legalization here. I have even seen many police and military operations in the quest to eradicate illegal Marijuana farms.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In New Zealand where I am from, it is viewed as a drug, and also harmful to people and not allowed to be distributed for sale and can lead to jail and fines as well. It is allowed from medical, use only approved by the health ministry and only 30 people have been allowed to use it and they only approve after checking from the doctor and along process as well. I don't think it will be allowed to be used legally in my country as not enough research or evidence done to prove it is good for the health and the police would be against it.
  10. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

I am from the Caribbean, and there have just been some legislation to support the decriminalizaton of small quantities of marijuana for medical purposes, in one of the islands. This could be the precedent for the other Caribbean countries to follow. I believe it is as much a matter of education as it is legislation. If we are aware of the dangers of marijuana, then we can make sensible choices and avoid the resultant addictions and societal fallouts.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's not legal in the state that I live in, but is legal in Colorado. I don't know where I stand on the legalization of it, to be honest with you all...if it's legal, there's that sense of it being normalized, and then I think people won't think seriously that there are risks to it. But there's also the other viewpoint to it, that sometimes when things are legalized, their 'prohibited' appeal goes away. Sometimes when things are forbidden there's that concept that they are more "cool" (I use that sarcastically - drug use is never cool, but I'm talking about the perception of it) so if it's legalized perhaps some people would be less interested in it. It's hard to say!
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Nope. Where I'm from, if the police catches you with a joint, they kindly provide you with a very different kind of joint. The truth is that governments all over the world make a lot of money keeping drugs illegal. Don't think for a minute that all this so-called war on drugs is being fought because they care about your health, it's all about money. Just think that if they catch some plane carrying millions of dollars in drugs, they can just keep it and re-sell it. If drugs were legal, they'd have to buy it, and I don't think the government would find that fun at all. It's easier just to take it from you, find a way to get it back to the streets and make millions, while you're the one who ends up in jail. Think of drug dealers as their competition, and at the same time, their providers.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  13. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Marijuana here in the UK is illegal, people smoke it every day still. People are wanting it legalised but there are mixed opinions about this.
  14. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

There are zero studies that have ever confirmed or suggested that it is physically addictive. Yes it can be mentally addictive, but anything can be. I don't mean to be rude, but you seem a bit misinformed. Legalizing or decriminalizing will be beneficial to both the economy and the criminal justice system, which is flooded with non-violent drug offender cases. There are also many studies that prove that marijuana actually can cure cancer, one of the topics you feel is more important to tackle before marijuana legality. Legalizing marijuana has nothing to do with obesity or diabetes. These are not issues that are even handled by the same people, it's a completely irrelevant point. I will agree with you that yes, marijuana does affect the brain. I read a study once that concluded that marijuana alters the way a teenage brain grows and shapes, though the implications of this were not necessarily clear. I believe it is important to wait to use any substance until your brain has finished growing. Teenagers should not be smoking marijuana regularly.
  15. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It is going to be legal here very soon, and I am not happy about that. I foresee a lot of problems because of it. It has always been too easy to get, at least in my town, but with it being legal, it will open the doors for a whole lot more people to start using now that they are no longer going to be worrying about getting in trouble for it.

I don't like the smell at all, which is a small thing, but when I pass a house where someone is smoking it in the yard, I smell it, it doesn't just stay in their yard. And then there are the issues of people driving while under the influence. I don't know about an increase in crime, but I do thing there will be an increase in traffic issues and accidents and people, especially young people, making very poor choices as a result of marijuana use.
  16. Sweetpea88

Sweetpea88 Member

At this stage, it's not legal in Ohio. I really don't think it will easily win approval in this state. The people here normally vote along conservative lines. The only chance I see it passing would be if the voters chose to focus only on the revenue it would bring to the state.
  17. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

It's not legal here in the Philippines and I doubt it will be anytime soon due to the bad rep marijuana has here. Personally, I see nothing wrong in legalizing marijuana. I mean, both cigarettes and alcohol are legal. As long as the government is knowledgeable on regulating it, I see no reason on keeping it illegal.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is not legal at my place even though it is sold in the backstreets. I think marijuana will never be legalised in my country and if one is found smoking, it can lead them to 8years in prison.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Where I live, and generally all over Europe except Netherlands, the consumption of marijuana is illegal. I really think that the places you can find in which you are legally allowed to consume marijuana can be counted by your hand fingers.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

My state government says it is. My federal government says it isn't. So actually it isn't. The federal government isn't enforcing much at this time. That may or may not be different with a change in the White House.