An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Marijuana Legal Where You're From

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by rcdpink, Apr 16, 2015.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

The biggest anti-marijuana argument seems to be "it's illegal, so it should be illegal". Every scientific study has always shown that the harm from prohibition far exceeds any harm from use. Since newspapers are no longer major economic powers, the argument that hemp is a threat to the Hearst newsprint empire is no longer relevant, and protecting our children from exposure to dark-skinned people is no longer a major concern. And I see no harm in laborers being able to work long days with no ill effects. And, yes, quality has improved, but it is still physically impossible to consume a toxic level of marijuana. Hey, what were we talking about? Threat to the booze industry?
  2. candy23

candy23 Member

It's legal in the state I live, which I think is a good thing because then we're not prosecuting people simply for possession of something. This way, people aren't locked up and can instead get treatment for their abuse. Lots of people use it in my state anyway, so we're freeing up a lot of jails for criminals who are doing worse things.
  3. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Not legal where I live as well. Even for the normal cigarettes, it is Illegal to smoke anywhere but only in your own house or out in the street. You can't even smoke in your own car.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

No it's not legal here in this state in the US. I've not ever really thought one way or another about it. I never had anything against it. But the more I learn about it and the side effects, especially the delayed ones. I don't think its smart. So, chaos, perhaps. I don't but there is always something like this going on. People, well some people, feel they need to live their life with something to alter their mind. So we know how this works in 20 or 30 years time they'll learn their lesson and be part of a statistic. Maybe they are doing this because they looked at alcohol and said that they should have made that medicinal. Federal government regulates alcohol. They are in control of the marijuana too. Its basically becoming legal within a state but still federally illegal. Shows that they are even in question about it. If it was ok why not just legalize it across the board? They know its an unpredictable thing to allow. Yet it is advertised and washed into people's minds that no one has ever killed anyone on mari j, no crimes, no this no that. Lol yeah right, ok whatever you say. None that have been publicized. We'll hear about someone on a psychotropic drug committing a mass murder, well that's something legal. What he was on. I don't think it matters if it's legal. It is already out there. It has more do with what else is in the mix.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It isn't legal anywhere in the USA period. Federal law supersedes state and local law. A failure to enforce the law or choosing to ignore localities attempting to contradict it is not the same as it being legal. Various states have decided to exercise authority in the matter that they do not actually have. Changes in elected leaders or appointed personnel at the federal level could easily change federal response to the matter. Until marijuana is reclassified as something other than a schedule one substance it will continue to be unlawful to use or sell anywhere in the USA for any reason.
  6. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Where I live it's still illegal and its probably going to remain that way for a long time. My position on marijuana is really simple. I think marijuana can be very beneficial if done properly, under the right culture and criteria. Just like alcohol is sold, legal but not everybody that consumes alcohol is an alcoholic. The same thing would happen with marijuana, some people would get out of control and get addicted to it, some people are more affected by it and tend to abuse it more, but aren't these people abusing marijuana anyways while its illegal? It would be more beneficial if the social drug was marijuana instead of cigarettes and alcohol, only if done properly, and of course some people shouldn't even do it at all, but that's what freedom is about.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

There is no good to come from recreational usage of any drug. The only valid use of a drug is medical. I could support it being reclassified under federal law in the USA to allow controlled medical usage, but recreational use should remain unlawful.
  8. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Recently, a rule like that has passed in my country where you're allowed to only have a certain amount on you at a time. It being legal or not doesn't change the fact that people are doing it. I think the world would be better overall if it was legal.Less crime related to attaining it would be done.
  9. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It's been decriminalized where I live. It is not fully legal and you will likely get a summons if you get caught with it in public. We also have a medical marijuana program in the state.
  10. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I hear it's pretty easy to get a medical marijuana card in California. In my state, you have to have like 8th degree brain cancer to get a marijuana prescription. Hopefully, they just fully legalize it soon.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is legal at the state level here and the federal government is not doing anything to intercede. There are growing operations everywhere in the state of Washington now, and as long as you are licensed, nobody touches you. The police even ignore it now.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Where I am from is not legal at all, not even the medical marijuana, but the place I am going to move to... it is. There are coffee shops where you can easily buy marijuana and smoke it there, you can also buy other products made with marijuana.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it should be legal. There are way worst things out there. There are so many man made drugs like crack and heroin that people abuse and turn into zombies. It is decriminalized where I live and I have no criticism about this. Our jails should not be over crowded by people who just get caught with joints in there pockets, when there are liquor stores everywhere.
  14. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

No of course not, this is a really weird question atleast for personal use it is not legal. In some places it is legal but for certain uses to it and it shouldn't be sold whatsoever. So no my answer is no Marijuana isn't legal in my country at all.
  15. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

It's not legal here yet. I live in a state where we are the last to get anything. I don't really care whether it's legal or not. People are going to do it anyway and it doesn't really affect me one way or another. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs and yet it is legal. People die from it all the time. It really makes no sense. So in that case, I guess all should be legal People are going to do whatever they want regardless of if it's legal or not.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Unfortunately it is not. I hope that it will be so people won't have to have fear of being arrested for buying a gram of weed. It is ridiculous really. It is well known fact that people do not die of marijuana and that the only danger is mild addiction if you use it too long and too much. You can become a bit slower but it is not really that bad. If use moderately It is a nice piece of entertainment.
  17. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It has yet to become legal as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not really looking forward to seeing it any time soon... I mean, surely it has medicinal benefits and such, but I'm more concerned over what the younger generations' reaction would be like... because, you know, they tend to overreact when something that's been long prohibited gets legalized all of a sudden, and marijuana isn't excluded from this category. :D
  18. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

No, it is not legal where I am from (PA).

But, I feel it should be. While I understand some people may begin to smoke because they no longer fear the law if they do, I feel smoking or carrying marijuana is such a silly thing to get locked up for. There are so many more crimes that we should be focusing on (rape, murder, etc.) and to fill up prisons with people who were caught with marijuana is ridiculous. If we stopped focusing on people who used the drug, I think there would be more time and energy to be spent on the crimes that really matter.
  19. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

It's not legal here (yet). I think it should be legal to adults though. Marijuana serves a lot of purposes and as the post above me said, it is absolutely ridiculous to book someone for smoking marijuana.

I don't understand how people can accept alcohol (which is way dangerous than marijuana) and cigarettes and not marijuana.
  20. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

In my country, South Africa, it's not legal yet. I am all for legalizing it. I can go on forever on listing why I think it should be legalized. Just to name a few, like, its less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Government will be able to have more time to concentrate and work on bigger issues in the country. Like a few of you already said, if its legal or not, if someone want to smoke it they will.
    Noreht likes this.