An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

I used to do weed a few years ago and I liked it, I wasn't a regular smoker though. I never really felt addicted to it in any way, sometimes I wanted it but the feeling faded fast. I haven't done weed in the last 2 years at all and I don't crave it. Just my personal experience with it.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I think we're capable of becoming addicted to many different substances and behaviors - regardless of whether or not they're considered "highly addictive" in a physical way. Gambling addictions, sex addictions and eating disorders are all very real. Whenever I psychologically obsess over a substance or behavior to the point of neglecting my own safety, health, relationships, lifestyle, etc. I consider it a real problem.
  3. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Marijuana is not physically additive, but it is mentally. I smoked marijuana for 15 years heavy, and was a strong believer to the cause. I always felt like marijuana was the same as smoking cigarettes but more healthy. I was firm, no one could tell me that smoking "weed" was bad. As life went on marijuana became my stabilizer, it was there when I just needed to get "blowed" to get high and when I was stressed. Well everyone knows the "weed man" sometimes run out so when this happened I started to become more irritable and easier to get mad or frustrated. After so many more years I was apart of my character if I had my "bud" I was good if not I was upset. We have to really get honest with ourselves this is some if not all, and it is the same as any other drug, if we got it we good if not bad. When I quit everything else I still used marijuana for a sec hanging on to the idea that it was ok, because it's natural all this did was keep me craving the others. Good luck hope this helps!
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, Marijuana IS a drug. Just because it grows naturally that does mean that it's not a drug or that it's safe. A drug is simply just a chemical substance that affects the human body/mind in some way and it does not have to be synthetic in order to be classed as a drug. Cocaine comes from the coca plant/tree - it grows naturally. Heroin comes from Opium poppies - it grows naturally. But are cocaine and heroin not drugs?
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

When did you start to smoke weed? I did not have any encounters with drugs which was a good thing for me. It is an accomplishment when you can accept you have a problem and want the help.
  6. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Sure that marijuana is addictive, once we start smoking it we just want more and more. It's a light drug, but causes addiction anyway.
  7. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

I started smoking when I was 13 and didn't quit until I was 28, which was not to long ago. I was one of those that truly believed in marijuana until I realized that i was using it to deal with stressful situations. Once I got "high" I really wouldn't focus on solving the problem at hand just saying screw it. So I knew something had to give, and I quit!
  8. Profit5500

Man at 13 years old that is young. It took you fifteen years to quit must have been a challenge getting to that point.
  9. kklovekm

kklovekm Member

Im the same way JorjSimenov I am a smoker not so much of a drinker though. That alcohol can kill you and others if you dont know how to use it responsibly so I tend to drink when Im in a safe environment. Yes marijuana is a drug because you can go to jail for it if you are caught but I dont see it as detrimental as pills, cocaine, crack, meth and alcohol can be. Any drug in general you have to be careful how much you consume because you never know when you will have a bad experience and end up sick or in the hospital. This is why I only smoke because I dont have time to end up in the hospital because I overdosed on some pill I took, and I dont want to put my family through that drama. Hopefully one day soon marijuana will be legal so I can partake without being at risk with the law.
  10. Profit5500

That is why I do not really go to bars to go and drink. That risk factor of hurting someone else would just increase when you are drunk since you would not feel pain like someone who is sober. Alcohol addiction is no joke and once your hooked its hard to get out of it.
  11. DLWright

DLWright Member

I definitely think you can get addicted to it and the withdrawal symptoms a person can go to are pretty bad. My husband is a completely difference person when he has some MJ to smoke and when he doesn't. It's a shame because I really feel like it does him more good than harm.

That being said, I wish there was an easier way to deal with his withdrawal issues when we can't afford it. He must be addicted to it if he goes through pretty intense spurts of withdrawal.
  12. SF13

SF13 Member

I do not partake of marijuana, but I don't see how it can be considered a drug. Drugs are refined and processed. That's how they become drugs. Marijuana is as much of a drug as tobacco or willow bark. People plant datura all the time because it's pretty but eating those flowers has a hallucinogenic effect and can even kill if eaten in large amounts.. but yes, let us destroy the wicked wicked marijuana what with its many uses.
  13. LadyMiles

LadyMiles Active Contributor

I personally think that marijuana is only as addictive as one allows it to be. I believe that individuals become addicted to the feeling that it gives them. I enjoyed the feeling that the caffeine rush in Mountain Dew gave me so I continued to desire it, actually acted as though I was addicted to it. That was until my body couldn't handle the caffeine anymore, then I had to give it up. I did have a headache for a few days, which some may say it was withdrawal from the caffeine, but I didn't have to go through anything serious to let it go. Now with marijuana, many desire the feeling it provides them so they continue to use it to obtain that feeling. I know of many that CHOOSE to use marijuana but do not NEED it.
    princenyc likes this.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Maybe not a narcotic, but it is a controlled substance. Well not in Colorado anyways. By legalizing it in Colorado they have set a precedence of the debate, what makes a controlled substance legal. All this time we were told it was a dangerous drug. But all of a sudden its ok to use it if the local government is collecting tawes off of it.
  15. princenyc

princenyc Member

I had a girlfriend who could not sleep without smoking a joint first. I told her it was all in her head but she didn't believe me. Then she found out the company she worked for was going to start drug testing. She had 90 days to clean her system so she quit cold-turkey. After the first 2 nights of complaining she slept like a baby!
  16. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

It is a drug. Just like alcohol and nicotine are considered drugs, weed also alters the mind. Now just because it's a drug doesn't mean it's bad, but it definitely should be smoked in moderation.
    And yes, some people can develop a psychological dependence to weed.
  17. HerrKaze

HerrKaze Member

Weed has very little physical consequence, that much is useless to argue about. I can agree on the fact that it's a danger when abused and when you've grown to a point where you've assimilated yourself to being high and try to make it your standard rather than being sober.
  18. Peninha

I think that light drugs are entertaining at first, but after that we can't be without them, so it's addiction and it does condition a lot our day.
  19. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I don't think marijuana is a drug. It's an herb. Marijuana grows naturally. It does not have to be made. Many people use it for meditation purposes. And at least in my country, it does not lead to people using other substances. I think marijuana just brings out what's already in you. So, if you tend to be a depressed person, it can heighten your depression. If you're a happy person, it heightens your happiness.
  20. Peninha

Sure it's an herb, I feel that cocaine also comes from a plant right, but it's a drug we would agree no? It's a light drug, but causes addiction.