An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I would say it is fair to call it a drug but definitely not at the level that the government is making it out to be, and it's surprisingly even going to be reviewed soon by the American government, thankfully. It does still alter your mind though so I think it is fair to call it a drug, but to call it a harmful drug, I think is misrepresentation.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have proof that Marijuana can be a really harmful drug. Most of those who use it in moderation never have to taste its worst effects. I once knew someone who smoked marijuana same way a chain smoker does his thing. He'd be smoking almost all the time. Eventually he went totally loco. Yeah. He had to be institutionalized.
    http://www.payh.org/can-smoking-marijuana-make-you-crazy/
  3. Brox

Brox Member

Yeah, it is a drug, and I think that is better to stay that way. It does not create psysical dependence, but it is a gateway to harder drugs. The kids think it is just a harmless grass, but later end up in hell. So I think it is necessary to prohibit Marijuana. It comes to the health of our kids. We must be wise and save them. The best thing we can do is to fight against all drugs.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Abolarinde

Abolarinde Member

Marijuana refers to the dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds from the hemp plantCannabis sativa, which contains the psychoactive (mind-altering) chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), as well as other related compounds. Marijuana is one of the most common illicit drugs in the world.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It's just weed and cocaine is just cocaine, yet you can still become addicted. The only difference is that one is more dangerous than the other and most addicts start off with a weaker drug or small amount of a particular drug, theniincrease the dosage. I have seen the effects of "just weed" and it is sometimes very ugly. My dad started off smoking weed, became addicted byt wanted a stronger fix and turned to cocaine for it. Marijuana have health benefits also but not many via smoking it. I have seen someone drink the marijuana tea as well and they had to tie him up as he started going crazy.
  6. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I guess you're asking is it a drug in terms of addictive qualities - i.e. there are many drugs out there that are not addictive. This is a great area of debate. I've seen people show addictive tendencies towards it, and I think that's the issue. Whether that's the drug or the personality involved is another matter. Equally, people could just as equally ask whether chocolate is addictive.
  7. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

The mechanisms of addiction are simple. We get pleasure, we seek more pleasure and obviously marijuana is something that gives pleasure...
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that we could get addicted to any other subjects and even to things there could be addiction.
    I have heard that marijuana could be a medicine in the news recently and I think if this will be proven effective, then better to use it in the name of the medicine. Just have to be very strict on distributing it and prescribing it cause some might take advantage.
  9. Peninha

I agree, we can even get addicted to food, sweets, anything, that's just the way our mind is built and we need to face that.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I'd say it all depends on how much you consume. If you start your day with a joint and then continue to need more every few hours to stay "relaxed" or in a state of mind that you like, then I would say it is probably too much. Not just does the smoke affect your lungs, but you also develop a tendency to become lethargic and distant. There arises the question, whether you really want to continue on that path or not.
  11. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

I see weed as an herb really. Not necessarily a drug. Think of lavender. It's not as strong as weed, but it has similar side affects such as causing fatigue. You can mix it into just about anything you want to eat, just like weed, and it's an herb. I think weed has a lot of benefits. When watching a special about what drugs can do to the body, the only thing they found on weed was that it damaged the lungs because the user was smoking it. Otherwise, it didn't show up in the brain or cause damage to the heart. It's great for cancer patients and helps them gain their appetite back. Weed is not bad. There are people who use it and abuse it though. Same as alcohol. Though alcohol is a lot more dangerous than marijuana.
  12. Peninha

Sure, it's an herb, but it's addicting, again, also cocaine and other drugs come from herbs, but this doesn't mean they are not drugs.
  13. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah it's a drug but I didn't get addicted to it at all. I was done when I was done. Didn't think twice about it. But this dang nicotine............geez.
  14. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't know if it is addictive or not, honestly. However, I think it can become an issue nonetheless. I know for me, it became a compulsion. A way to deal with a shitty life, and being unhappy. It didn't really make me any happier, but it did make me forget about my unhappiness, and mostly everything else at the time. Addictive or not, it can be a problem.
  15. jurew2

jurew2 Member

Marijuana definetely alters the mood of the user, therfore we are talking about a drug. It doesn't cause a lot of harm if you don't overdo it, but you can get psychologically addicted to it. I don't smoke it regulary, just when I'm out with my friends or when I want to relax a little, but some of my friends use it a lot; more than once a day. Some of them are probably psychologically addicted to it already, but they don't want to admit it. They can't stand one day without smoking it.
  16. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Marijuana is not the same as cannabis or hemp, want to know why: neither words are spelled the same, that's how you can tell the difference - it's that simple in logic.

Marijuana is a Legal [all Legislative] term, originally used for Government grammar purposes; not initially a common word to most people. Its use and recognition became more popular after years of media "programming" and various other public influences and outcries. I don't care for marijuana, it means nothing to me - etymologically it means a Mexican plant of unknown flora and grammar origins.

I refer to use cannabis or hemp, which are the best terms regarding the herb plant containing THC.
  17. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

Surely it is a drug for its highly addictive substances as stated by many. It alters human mind. It is dangerous and should not be allow for casual consumption.
  18. Peninha

That's a key point right there Ronsa, it alters our mind and it does it in a way that makes us want to consume more and more and make it more important than anything else.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I think it's only that hype, as with cigarettes. You feel bad at first, but everybody does it, so you have to keep up and be "cool". It's only a very bad habit, not an addiction. And it's also pretty dangerous, as with alcohol.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yep, they say that weed (I'll call it weed, it's just easier) is 'psychogically addictive' and not 'physically addictive' and therefore you won't experience any (or many) physical withdrawal symptoms if you quit. It's psychological therefore it's mostly in the mind. If you can find something else to focus on and consume your time on instead of thinking about or actually smoking weed, it can actually be quite easy to quit. Worst ways you might have a sleepless night or two but you can tire yourself out in other ways (like reading, for example).