An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

It's relatively harmless, with the exception of being able to trigger psychotic reactions in some individuals. The main argument against it is that is a 'highway' to doing more drugs. I'm not sure if it really works like that.
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't think we can compare marijuana to cigarettes, it's far worse. To alcohol maybe, they might be equivalent, both are quite addicting.
  3. While it is true that Marijuana does not have addictive components, it CAN be addictive mentally. If you smoke Marijuana with Tobacco you will deal with addictive substances. In that situation it can be both mentally and physically addictive.

If you are the typical occasional smoker I wouldn't be cautious about using this drug. The problem with Marijuana usually presents itself when you start to use it to have an escape to problems. That is when the drug has the potential to become addictive.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Dunno, people usually try smoking before drinking. I said it like this because smoking seems more tempting, and also makes you "look cool", as marijuana does.
  5. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

I think marijuana can be considered a drug. You can get addicted to it, even if it is just a psychological addiction. I think anything that you allow to take control of you can be considered a drug. Like caffeine and sugar. One should know what there limits with marijuana and if you don't know it then don't do it.
  6. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I believe marijuana is a drug for its mood modifying effect. It can be addictive as deprive of it can have severe negative effect on human body and mind.
  7. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

Its not really a drug in the same sense of the other hard narcotics out there. The biggest reason why this country has such a negative view on it is because of the "MAJOR" influence that big tobacco and the Gas industry put on law enforcement back in the early 1900's. Hemp was causing a big drop in profit to both of these industries so they started waiving their money around lobbying politicians and spreading lies/negativity on the subject in order to get their agenda across.
  8. Peninha

LOL, I agree that marijuana is cooler, better and faster than getting drunk, but it's a drug and I don't think it's better than alcohol, no way.
  9. DAE89

DAE89 Member

Marijuana is most definitely a drug. Any chemical substance that has physiological effects when ingested by humans is a drug. Alcohol is a drug (the phrase "drugs and alcohol" is a misnomer; it should be just "drugs"), nicotine is a drug, caffeine is a drug, methamphetamine is a drug, aspirin is a drug. There is absolutely no question that marijuana is a drug. The real question and the focus of the modern marijuana debate is "how harmful is marijuana compared to other drugs?".
  10. Nergaahl

I didn't say this. Alcohol does nothing while you are responsible, therefore is not a drug. But marijuana is, and I also consider cigarettes some kind of "drugs", though they are not as harmful.
  11. Glen

Glen Member

While it's less harmful (even beneficial sometimes) to the body, it definitely should be classified as a drug. It does have mind-altering effects, so it's definitely a type of drug. Withdrawal, although less severe, is also a problem. Withdrawal from marijuana can cause some common symptoms, but it's often not a major effect of the drug.
    Marijuana is much less harmful overall, but still is a drug.
  12. Peninha

Well, it's hard to define when we are responsible or not, responsible would be not drinking at all, the same with marijuana, it does nothing if we don't smoke it.
  13. Nergaahl

Well, on occasions it's okay to drink a bit. But not as much to collapse while walking. I never understood these kind of people. As long as you don't get drunk, you're responsible in my opinion.
  14. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Well, lets put it in this context... Alcohol and tobacco are both drugs, cocoa is a drug, caffeine is a drug... the meaning of drug is "a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body:" bing.com. So yes MJ is a drug. Whether you can become addicted or not does not constitute whether or not it is a drug or not.
  15. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

No, I don't categorize marijuana as a "drug." To me it is a plant. Alcohol is more of a drug to me then weed. A drug is something that you get addicted to, I don't think that it is really possible to get addicted to marijuana. Just like the lad above me said, you can develop a liking to smoking week but it isn't strong enough to get addicted the way you could to cocaine or heroine. People who are high are a lot more pleasant to be around then drunks, they are also a lot more happier then drunks too.
  16. tysonguyen

tysonguyen Member

Marijuana is from a plant, dried leaves from cannabis sativa that contain a chemical (THC) that alters the human mind. By the definition of "drug", it is basically anything of a substance that changes in your body mentally or physically. In which, I believe that marijuana is a drug as well compared to being plants. In fact, most medicines are drugs, but some cause more harm than others if used incorrectly. Depending on your views, the definition of drugs may vary about marijuana.
  17. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It is a drug because it impairs people. It may be safer and less addictive than many other drugs, but it does have harmful effects and can lead to people making poor choices that could harm themselves or others.
  18. Peninha

I agree. The fact is many many people want to drink or take drugs because they enjoy being high, they enjoy how that makes them feel and because of that they do it again and again and become addicted.
  19. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I suppose it's a drug given the fact that it affects our psychological state when it enters our system. My young brother used to smoke it and the effect would be instantaneous for all to see.He would develop mood swings and a veracious appetite.To me, nothing except a drug could have such profound effects on someone.
  20. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

I believe that the information about marijuana is skewed to a certain extent. How can we fully know the potential of marijuana if research on the drug was made illegal as well as the plant itself. The world's perception of marijuana is largely distorted by it's monetary value and our culture. Marijuana is a class 1 substance and so is methamphetamine. I think marijuana is less harmful than tobacco and alcohol and it definitely kills less people every year. Marijuana is a drug, but it is also a plant. Marijuana is an upper and a downer. The label differs from person to person, and I think each individual should be able to choose whether or not they want to use marijuana.