An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is a good point. I didn't even know that research on the drug was made illegal, what bases do they have to do that? I don't know about liberalization though, it has it's pros and cons.
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

These questions aren't related to your title at all. It doesn't matter how many people become addicted to it. There isn't some addiction benchmark that, when passed, qualifies something as a drug. Pharmacologically, cannabis is a drug. Drugs aren't inherently bad.
  3. Peninha

Not only pharmacologically, it's addicting and anyone that smoked it knows that, we just want to smoke more and we can get pretty obsessed about it.
  4. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I really get tired of how people act like weed is so benign. I now have people coming up to me and telling me that it has health benefits. Yeah, when you are high everything is better. Food tastes better, movies are funnier, and sex is great. Those are not health-enhancers. My mom dated a man that died of cancer. He didn't smoke cigarettes, but smoked weed for twenty years. He blamed the marijuana. You are holding smoke in your lungs for long periods of time. How can that be healthy? You are coughing for a reason. Your body is trying to expel something in it that's toxic.
  5. Rob93FL

To be fair, smoking anything is harmful. There are plenty of healthier alternatives to smoking like edibles, vaporizers, and tinctures.

Also, did your friend blame cannabis or did the doctors? I would trust a doctor's opinion over his.
  6. Peninha

The fact is that we are surrounded for an endless number of drugs, some worse than others of course, but even our food is filled with drugs.
  7. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

It was my mom's boyfriend, and he blamed it himself. I don't know if a doctor told him that or it was his own notion. I am not sure eating and breathing an illegal drug is "healthier" than smoking. Eating marijuana requires a lot more of it to get high, as opposed to smoking. I can't imagine a large amount of THC in your body is good for you.
  8. Peninha

That is another point adding to it primal, does it have any significant side effects? Most likely we don't know because there aren't enough studies on it.
  9. Rob93FL

Cannabis is one of the most heavily-studied and heavily-used illegal drugs. If there were any significant side effects, they would have shown up by now.
  10. Rob93FL

Well, considering you're saving your lungs the trouble of breathing burning plant matter, I would say that it's much healthier. With vaporizers, there is no combustion. You're inhaling vaporized cannabinoids. When you eat it, it doesn't harm the stomach and it doesn't take that much more to get you high. There haven't been any studies in support of the claim that the increased amount of THC and other cannabinoids in edibles makes them just as harmful/more harmful than smoking.
  11. kariad28

kariad28 Member

I feel that marijuana is a plant not a drug. It helps people in all different ways. If I had to do a survey I would say no it's not a drug.
  12. kariad28

kariad28 Member

I just posted a comment not sure what happened. I feel that it is not a drug it's a plant. It helps so many people with help problems. Tobacco doesn't do that. I never really heard to many bad things about it only thing is it kills your brain cells. Some feel that it doesn't. My friend did an essay on what it does to babies if the mom smokes it while pregnant. She found out in a lot of cases that babies actually get smarter. I thought she was kidding until she showed me her essay and the information I believed her. In my opinion its not a drug to me but people can get addicted to it.
  13. Rob93FL

Tobacco is a plant. Do you consider that a drug? What about datura, salvia, opium, and cocaine? Those are all plants/come from plants. Does that mean those aren't drugs? The definition of a drug isn't "something that harms people and creates problems." The definition of a drug is substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, but is not exclusively a food. Like I said above, pharmacologically, cannabis is a drug. Drugs aren't inherently bad.
  14. kariad28

kariad28 Member

I never heard of any of the drugs you mentioned has ever helped anyone with health problems. In my state marijuana is legal here. I have my own opinion and I know that tobacco is a plant but the subject on this form isn't about all the other plants you named but if it were I would have still commented on this post
  15. Rob93FL

I wasn't naming off other plants to try to make this thread go off topic. If you reread my post, you'll realize that I was naming them to prove a point. If tobacco is a plant and cannabis is a plant, why do you consider one a drug but the other a plant? If your argument is that tobacco is a drug because it is harmful, then I think you've misunderstood the definition of a drug.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, the other drugs mentioned have helped people with health problems. Cocaine has been used as a local anaesthetic (although not so much these days) and a vasoconstricting agent and Heroin in it's purest form is Diamorphine - it's where Morphine comes from which is often used in medical practices.
  17. Peninha

That might be true or not Rob, if there are no significant side effects why isn't it legal? More, is it healthier than cigarettes for example?
  18. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think marijuana does have properties that cause dependency , I know someone who smokes every night because, according to them, it is the only way they can get to sleep. I don't know if it is a physical, psychological dependency or a combo of both.
  19. Rob93FL

Research has shown that it is much less harmful than cigarettes, especially considering that you don't have to smoke cannabis. I think we're all aware that the legality of cannabis has absolutely nothing to do with its harms. It is illegal, although not for much longer, because of money.
  20. Marijuana is not physically addictive. The psychological addiction works as Joe mentioned. People are attracted to the mood altering effect of the plant, and it causes them to become dependent on it for that purpose. When a substance is physically addictive the user gets physically ill when they attempt to stop using the drug.