An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I agree with that, the legality has nothing to do whether is healthy or not, but I have my doubts that it's healthy. What do you mean with, we don't have to smoke it? We don't need to smoke cigarettes either.
    Sparkster likes this.
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I mean there are other routes of administration. It can be consumed orally as an edible, sublingually as a tincture, and you can vaporize it.
  3. Peninha

I see, yes, it's edible as well and there are other ways as you mention Rob, but the fact is that it is a drug and I don't see how anyone can deny it.
  4. Rob93FL

Sure, I'm not arguing that it isn't a drug. It is dishonest to deny that cannabis is a drug.
  5. Peninha

Now the question might be, do we really want to make it legal and have another tobacco industry or do we want to regulate it in another way?
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Over twenty states have already legalized marijuana including Washington and Colorado. It's also recently been made legal in Uruguay. Don't worry about regulation, Monsanto are already making plans - ha!
  7. Peninha

Yeah, over 27 states is a big number, already the majority of the US has legal marijuana, let's see where this leads us in a few years.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yeah, although most states have only legalized medicinal marijuana, so it can only be used for medicinal purposes. I think Washington and Colorado have legalized all together and Oregon are planning on it too. Uruguay pulled a nice one - they just legalized it all together without even bothering to consult the United Nations first!
  9. Peninha

LOL, that is why countries are independent. But, why should they have to consult the United Nations lol, there's no point in that, they are not drug related!
  10. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

I smoke weed for 11 years now and I can clearly say without a shred of doubt that it's an addiction. It's a drug that is way softer then the hard drugs like cocaine or heroin, but it's still a drug. Just look at it this way; if cigarettes are addicting, how can't marijuana be? It's clearly stronger that tobacco and the way it works is addictive itself. People who smoke weed get high, people who are high on weed have a lot of fun most of the time and also it's bad for your health, you feel good. So the thing that your psychology learns is that when you smoke weed you feel good. This is an information in your brain that's starting the addiction since you start associating marijuana with a positive feeling, similar to how rats learn certain behaviors if they get rewarded for doing certain tasks. This addiction process is even stronger with people, who are depressed since drugs are often used as a get away from reality.
  11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Funny that you mention this, but even if it's just weed it's addiction trust me and can lead people to do really strange stuff, so I would be careful with it.
  12. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I think it is funny that you can compare chocalate and weed because I am much more addicted to chocolate than weed, mind you I don't have access to weed, I know I can get access it's just not a priority of mine. BUT when it comes to chocolate....things are really serious. I will sometimes wake in the middle of the night NEEDING it, it sounds funny but I am being completely honest, sometimes my desires for chocolate alter my mood completely. Needless to say chocolate is a staple in my home.
  13. Peninha

The problem is that chocolate ruins your teeth and other parts of the body, while weed messes up with our brain, so different addictions, but both harmful.
  14. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yeah, those are two things totally different to compare, but I agree that the principle is the same, we consume a substance and we lose control over it.
  15. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Of course it's a drug and get people adicted.
    In fact, I'm adicted to it, I am trying to stop smoking but after almost 15 years believe me is difficult.
    But it's not like cocaine or more hard drugs (and alcohol too) marijuana could make people more stupid, but not more violent.
  16. Rub

Rub Member

If you smoke weed too often then you can get rid of the effect. So you try to taste something new, a little bit stonger. Such as a cocaine or a crocodile.
  17. Rob93FL

You can never achieve a 100% tolerance. No matter how much you smoke, you will still get high. It just takes more.
  18. Dola91

Dola91 Member

Although I am unsure of its addiction, I am quite sure it does relieve me of some things. I also forgot to mention that I consume it frequently. However, that's just me.
  19. Peninha

If you consume it frequently how can you say that you're unsure its addiction Dola? Would you be able to stop?
  20. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Wether pot addiction resembles most drug addictions or whether it's like food or sex "addiction" is up for debate. I personally don't believe it to be any more addictive than any other enjoyable activity. However, DMT and acid, two of the most powerful drugs known to man, aren't in the least bit addictive. I'd still consider them drugs.

Pot has been shown to cause psychological issues. I personally believe those issues have been extremely blown out of hand and that anyone who views pot as a harmful drug while taking the consumption of alcohol lightly is an idiot. It is a drug though, there's no doubt about that.