An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Everything that messes with our brains is addicting, but this is a mild addiction. What will we ask next, is TV addicting? Sure, are we banning it, no. So, it's just the world we live in, most stuff aren't really good for us.
  2. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Yes it really is a drug, coffee and tea are also drugs. Any drug if used improperly or in high doses can cause damage, and result in addiction. Some people become addicted to tea/coffee they drink 20+ cups a day, and it leads to all sorts of medical problems.

Whether or not you want to smoke pot is your life style choice. But you make pay for your choices in the end.
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Pretty much, we have the possibility to choose, but our choice is conditioned by the fact of marijuana being legal or not because most people don't break laws.
  4. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I believe that marijuana is a drug in the same way that anything can be a drug. People become addicted to all kinds of crazy things (such as eating rocks), so I don't think it's a stretch to think that marijuana can hook you. I think it's mostly an escape for the people that do get addicted.
  5. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

Scientifically speaking yes marijuana is a drug. Seeing that the definition of a drug is a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or introduced to the body. I add on that chocolate and sex for example are also drug fitting the same definition of having a physiological effect. Moreover addictions can develop for any matter it does not have to be a drug although one can be addicted to drugs or to other activities. One can develop two types of dependencies one being psychological which roots from an emotional unease with not partaking in the addiction. The other is a physical dependence where if one does not partake in the addiction ones body undergoes abrupt painful withdrawal. Marijuana does not develop a physical dependence on users however some might suffer from a psychological addiction to the sense of well-being it causes.
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Considering sex isn't a medicine or a substance, I wouldn't consider it a drug.
  7. lollie

lollie Member

I've always thought you can't overdose on weed, so I don't conclude that it's a drug. It's not harmful and I still don't really understand why it's illegal when alcohol and cigarettes are. People LOVE weed and you would be surprised at the types of people that smoke or ingest it. You never hear about harmful effects that weed has done to people in the news (unless it's laced with something). It's always news about drunk driving or overdoses on harmful substances.

Most of the successful people in America once upon a time got high on marijuana which aided in their success! It's crazy -- but technically, it is considered to be a drug. I just don't think it's anything that's harmful "if" you get addicted.