An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a gateway drug???

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Faygo1224, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I know this question has come up constantly , especially years ago when marijuana was shunned just as alcohol was during prohibition. Since people are starting to change their mind on the dangers or lack thereof that marijuana has on users, I wonder if it is still considered a gateway drug.

I personally do not believe it is because I know some of the most successful people who smoke marijuana but have NEVER even touched alcohol let alone anything else. How do you all feel about it being a gateway drug or not? I'm very interested in your feedback. Thank you
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Well, I have seen hat it might be still considered as a gateway drug because the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other substances that might be considered stronger, also the feeling is not unique on marijuana you can also feel a similar thing with alcohol or maybe with nicotine.
  3. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

In my opinion, maybe it can be. If you get out of control, you'll start to use it a lot more and maybe you'll even get out of touch with people, but that's an effect that also happens with alcohol.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think it depends on the person. I believe it was a gateway drug for my son, who started with pot and then progressed to RX drugs and heroin. But there are obviously people who use marijuana and never move on to anything harder.
  5. ChristianRO

ChristianRO Member

I strongly agree with @deanokat. Every person is unique. No studies will ever show that Marijuana is 100% a gateway drug. There are people who go straight to harder drugs, but also people who will never even think about trying anything else.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Not really there are a lot of people that wont touch hard drugs. I've seen people who are health conscious and will smoke weed occasionally. It's really about understanding what marijuana is and the difference between this and other things. Someone who cares about the side effects of drugs but doesn't mind getting high wouldn't mind trying marijuana, still they would be scared of anything else. There are some people who just want to get higher and weed isn't enough for them,I wouldn't say marijuana is the blame it's the person wanting a high nature can't provide.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For many young people who haven't used any other drugs marijuana can be a gateway drug. You see what draws in most young people into abusing drugs is curiosity. They want to find out what effect a drug will have on them. So if they have a taste of marijuana and someone tells them that there's better they could try it and if they like the effect of the drug they could keep using it.
  8. I agree with @deanokat as well. I've seen cases where people that I grew up with (people I personally smoked with as well) ended up addicted to Meth and I've seen cases where some of the biggest stoners I knew as a teenager make 100k a year now. It all depends on your personality. Some people just lead different lives than others and some people just want to end up chasing that high and see what they can get out of it. I also blame misinformation and sheltering your child as far as it being a gateway drug as well. When everyone treats Marijuana like it's the boogie man and a teenager smokes a joint for the first time, doesn't die, and doesn't really have any harmful side effects, some of them start to think that they've been lied to all of their lives and wonder what else the world of drugs has to offer them. This is how you end up with teenage addicts in some cases. At any rate, the gateway aspect of it is relative in my opinion. It may not be a popular one but I'll stand by it.