An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really helpful in the field of medicine?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by akko, Jul 29, 2015.

1. akko

akko Member

We have all heard of the rumors that marijuana could help depression amongst other conditions, hence the use of medical marijuana. However, I just wanted to grab some opinions on this and whether you believe that marijuana is really a helpful medicine? If so, what conditions has it proven to help?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Well I mean they have literally proven that is has so I don't know what else you want from us. The answer is yes. Look into a lot of the cases of kids having terrible headaches all day or strokes, once they are placed on a THC substance they are cured.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It does, but trust me, if it stays illegal, then there's no real reason you'd want to risk everything you have just because you wanted to try that "pulchritudinous" leaf. This is one of the main reasons it stays illegal as well... pharmaceutical companies would lose a lot of profit off of it.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is helpful since research has proved that. That is why medicinal marijuana use is on the rise. It must be taken as per prescription. I have never taken such medicine but I want to try out one day.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It relieves pain, loss of appetite, and glucoma, to just name a few. I'm sure a simple google search will show you more results. But from what I know and hear form real people, they are what I know for sure are treatable with Marijuana.

I know of one war veteran that swears up and down that the only thing that will help him with his old injuries is Marijuana. He doesn't smoke it because he like to get high. He smokes it because it works and he doesn't have any side effects.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There are countless people who have been helped by medical marijuana. This little girl always sticks in my mind though. Before anyone explodes in a fit of outrage, she uses an oil from a particular strain which is very low in THC so she doesn't actually get high. And no, she doesn't smoke it either!

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/
  7. BigSnoop

BigSnoop Member

i do believe marijuana can help in a medicinal way, and even though i do not condone smoking weed if it helps people with their health problems then i am all for it.
  8. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Marijuana can definitely be used in a beneficial way in regards to the field of medicine. There are numerous amounts of people who have been helped by medical marijuana. It serves as a pain reliever and can make people feel less stressful. I am sure that there are many more benefits! The only reason that we see marijuana as a negative thing is because it is usually abused by those addicted to it. Marijuana can definitely be detrimental to your health if it is abused.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I also know of cancer patients, people on loads of medicine (my mother), and others with intestinal problems that make it also nearly impossible for them to eat. Factor in just a small bowl of marijuana or THC, and they can eat like a normal appetite. It's almost essential for those who throw up constantly to eat something and settle their stomachs down.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Marijuana is very helpful at giving sick people an appetite and acts as a pain reliever as well. It has a lot of good uses if it is not abused. It is a completely natural herb and this is why pharmaceutical companies frown upon it.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's no denying the fact that marijuana has some medicinal value but it's not for everyone. You can't just self-medicate because research shows that it can be good for some conditions. This is what most people don't like. It should be treated like any prescription drug. The doctor should tell you how much of the drug you should use to avoid the negative effects which often follow when you abuse it [marijuana].
  12. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

I believe that marijuana could help but only to patients that have severe illnesses or other related medical conditions. From what I have read it can help a patient that has cancer if the pain that the patient has is to severe for them. You should never use marijuana unless your doctor says it is okay only if it helps a patient with his pain. To conclude, marijuana can be helpful in the field of medicine only if the patient is in severe pain and only if the doctor agrees to let the patient use marijuana.
  13. potatocakes

potatocakes Member

Yes, marijuana has been proven to significantly reduce anxiety, pain, nausea and others in many people who suffer. I would argue that it is much safer to ingest a natural product that has been used for centuries, as opposed to ingesting a mixture of chemical substances created in a laboratory and sold in pharmacies.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I've watched several documentaries on CNN to suggest that it is has medical benefits. As far as China and Japan even the elderly are being treated with marijuana. I watched as Sanjay Gupta changed his position as being against marijuana to being very much for the use of the drug medically. I saw several cases of kids with seizures seeing considerable improvement in their health after marijuana (specially grown) use. I have not tuned in recently but I will to see if his position remains the same.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

We prescribe horrible narcotics to treat pain, so I don't see an issue prescribing marijuana too.
    I have heard it can be used to treat severe epilepsy.
  16. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

It definitely temporarily helps with depression, or at least the user THINKS it's helping. It makes you happy while you're high, you're content just watching TV all day instead of doing something productive. Therefore I think it's dangerous in the long run and I would not call it a good way to deal with depression.

It definitely helps chronic pain as well, but it isn't really worth the negative effects.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have also watched some online shows/news that it has medicinal properties. I have not used it so, I cannot say if it is true but it might be since plants usually have medicinal properties. There should be more studies and proper information campaign for this in my opinion.
  18. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Marijuana is extremely helpful in the field of medicine. It is an alternative to a large amount of medication. A lot of benefits have been found recently since funding for cannabis research has started again.
  19. juno

juno Community Champion

It is an effective pain killer and has fewer side effects than many of the medication that cancer patients may need. That is why it can be medically prescribed by a doctor.
  20. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It is. This is why pharmaceutical companies always put pressure on governments when they get the idea of legalizing marijuana. It would cut off their profits a lot, and they wouldn't like that. They prefer making medicine which isn't effective at all instead of actually giving the cure.