An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana the same thing as cannabis?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Peter Grinspoon, May 25, 2020.

1. Although many people think there is no difference between the terms “marijuana” and “cannabis”, their meaning is not quite the same. Cannabis is usually taken as a short name for products derived from the most popular version of the cannabis plant, called Cannabis Sativa. Hemp, also known as industrial hemp is a variety of this plant with a high concentration of CBD cannabidiol, which has no psychoactive characteristics.

Marijuana is a word, usually used when talking about parts of the plant or products with a high concentration of THC. Significant presents of this compound can have serious effects on the mental state of the consumers.
  2. I am wondering what the difference is between the marijuana used for medicinal purposes (prescribed by a doctor) and marijuana that is purchased on the street. I imagine the chance of that which is purchased on the street could be laced with fentanyl. But are the levels of THC the same or what other differences and similarities are there?
  3. MrMaheu1983

MrMaheu1983 Member

Thank you for this, i didn't know the difference.
  4. nieprophsono

nieprophsono Member

Moreover, there is a big difference between regular marijuana and medical. Medical marijuana contains more CBD than regular, that's why it's "medical". Some people just use pure CBD for medical purposes. I know a guy who prefers medical CBD, because he had heard that vaporising CBD can cause lung damage. He buys this stuff from Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Queens and use it 2 times a week. I tried this stuff. It makes you sleepy. And, as this guy says, it relieves pain.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. Invisible

Invisible Member

Not true. There is no difference between medical marijuana and recreation marijuana.

https://menu.dispensary33.com/

Look at the menu. Little to no CBD in most. The ONLY difference between someone with a medical card vs someone with no card is the price. Click the slider on the top right to medical and check.

There are a couple high CBD lower THC strains. Most are not. CBD does nothing by itself. You can get 20% CBD .00001 THC at any local corner store here and I promise you it has no medical properties.

THC is the medicine, very high levels of it.
  6. ohoward1987

ohoward1987 Member

I also used to think that marijuana and cannabis are the same thing, but now thanks to your explanation, I realized that I was wrong. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! What about СBD oils? Is it something similar to these substances? I have heard that they can be useful even for рets, especially for dealing with anxiety and getting rid of stress. I once came across an article on the forum about how useful CBD for pets are and I immediately tried it on my pet, these oils were really effective
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  7. They’re both terms for a cannabis plant rife with complex cannabinoids like THC, CBD and CBN. But calling it ‘pot’ or ‘weed’ versus ‘cannabis’ does bring to mind different associations, and have their own effects on the perceptions of others. I use the word ‘cannabis’ because I think it legitimizes referring to this thing by its truest identity: a plant.
  8. Invisible

Invisible Member

Right, cannabis is simply the hemp plant. At least in the states, on the federal level once it contains more than .003% THC, it is now marijuana.

Also, my statement on CBD is not totally correct. There are lots of things it seems to cure. However high THC probably has more medical properties for the majority. There are a few strains that are high in thc and cbd I want to try.
  9. ScottPreot

ScottPreot Member

This confrontation has already been discussed quite often on many forums and I came to the conclusion that there are differences between marijuana and cannabis but they are insignificant. As minor as the differences between CBN Oil and CBD Oil which are also often used to combat pain, apathy, stress, and insomnia with anxiety. I have tried all this personally and I can say that these two substances are much more effective than marijuana and cannabis, so I advise you to make the right choice