An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is my grown son on drugs

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Auntiechelle, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Auntiechelle

Auntiechelle Member

My son is 24 and I am afraid he is using some kind of drugs. He was arrested because he gave a girl a ride and she had meth and paraphernalia with her. He passed a hair follicle drug test and they dropped the charges against him. But he continues to spend time with people who are doing drugs. He wears a knife on his belt and has weapons in his vehicle. Two days ago my house was robbed because one of the people he is around broke in after he had them over when we weren't there. The last 3 times I have seen him he has been unable to stay awake. He was dozing off while eating. He went in and laid down and slept for several hours. He denies any drug use and brought up the drug test that he passed. He is suffering from depression. He says he doesnt sleep good. He had gastric sleeve surgery so i cant tell if he is skinny from that or from drug use. He hasn't worked since his arrest except for odd jobs.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Auntiechelle... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. I'm sorry that you're having issues with your son. The fact that he passed a hair follicle test would indicate that he was clean at the time of the test. How long ago was that test administered? Obviously, it's possible that he could be using drugs now, but there's no real way to tell unless he's tested.

It sounds like he's hanging out with a bad group of people, but he is an adult and we can't really control our adult children's lives. We also can't control whether or not they use drugs. That's a choice that they make for themselves. Like Al-Anon teaches, we don't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it.

Your son's behavior does sound suspicious. Is he seeing a psychiatrist or therapist for his depression? If not, he should be. Mental health issues and addiction often go hand in hand, so it's important to get treatment for things like depression.

Maybe you should ask your son to take another drug test. Is that something you think he'd be willing to do?

Your son is an adult and if his behavior and its consequences (like your house being broken into) is affecting your life in a negative way, you have every right to ask him to move out of your house (I'm assuming he's living with you). Always remember that YOUR life is important, too.

I would suggest sitting down with your son and having a calm heart-to-heart talk with him. Explain your concerns. Tell him that you're worried about him and his health and well-being. Tell him how his behavior is affecting YOU. And ask him to take a drug test.

We're here to help and support you any way we can. Don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need to.

Sending you good thoughts and prayers.