An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is One Drug Worse Than Another?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by knitmehere, Mar 25, 2016.

1. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I used to be a cocaine addict. My boyfriend is a marijuana addict. Now, you might think one is worse than the other, but in reality (where I'm located) they are both illegal substances and both something that can bring addictive qualities out of a person.

When you think about drugs, do you find yourself being biased that one is worse than another and judging people more harshly because of which drug they choose?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, there's no doubt that cocaine is way more addictive than marijuana, that's for sure. It's also a lot more damaging and it causes damage a lot faster but I wouldn't judge you any differently to how I judge your boyfriend. We all have our reasons for doing whatever we do. However, in the case of injecting drugs like heroin, I think a person must have been at a very difficult or low point in their life in order to be temped by it in the first place.
  3. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

The only reason marijuana is illegal is because the government couldn't find a way to tax it. I am very biased when it comes to categorizing drugs. Some drugs are undeniably worse than others. Generally all drugs are bad, but the reality of the situation is you can die from some and would completely not even consider others to be drugs at all. Yes, some drugs are waaaaaay worse than others.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

The biggest thing that made me think there were varying levels of severity when it came to drugs was an article I read written by a paramedic, who spoke about all the drug overdoses or injuries he had seen from people he had to treat. His consensus was that meth was the worst and things like marijuana didn't really register at all when it came to overdose/illness/injury.
  5. knitmehere

The thing is, when it comes to having an addiction, it doesn't matter what the substance is. People will do whatever they can to get their hands on what they need, no matter what that need may be.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Well, obviously marijuana isn't as dangerous physically as drugs like coke because no one had ever died due to marijuana. But, as with any type of addiction they can both ruin your life and destroy relationships and cause you to lose your job.
  7. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

I think the rankings from worst to "best," addiction in terms of stigma go something like this:
    1. IV-Meth Addicts
    2. Regular Meth Addicts
    3. Crack Cocaine Users
    4. IV-Heroin Addicts
    5. Heroin Addicts
    6. Opiate Addicts (Prescription Pills)
    7. MDMA Users (Or other Hallucinogens like Shrooms)
    8. Amphetamines (Adderall)
    9. Marijuana Users
    10. Alchoholics
    11. Nicotine Addictions
    12. Coffee Addicts
    Granted this is based off of my own general observations in life and personal opinion. Others may feel differently. I can say a coffee addiction, for instance, is many worlds away from an opiate addiction. With the exception of marijuana, nicotine and coffee addictions, I think labeling one as worse than another is counterproductive to helping those who may struggle.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Anytime you try to rank these sorts of things I think you run a little risk of leaving things out and being somewhat subjective with what you have experienced personally and things of that nature. Plus, there is just a limited shared understanding of what constitutes bad, because there are a lot of different things at play.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think you have a decent ranking there..but alcoholism and food addiction probably have killed more people than pot ever has. You don't have regular old cocaine on the list there. I think it should be on the same line as crack. Just put the crack in paraentheses. Also, the very worst drug is the one you don't really see here in the US Krokoidile or whatever it is called that kills people in Russia.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

All drugs are not created equal, so obviously meth and cocaine are more harmful than marijuana. In all honesty, yes I think that the kind of drug people take affects how I view them, since I can understand why people take marijuana, since it's not that harmful, but I won't understand why they take cocaine or meth. They're quite addictive and destructive!
  11. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Well, I mean...each drug has different toxicological effects, and some are definitely worse than others. There's a reason that marijuana is perceived as being safer than cocaine or heroin. And yes, I think it definitely does say something about a person, what drugs they use. Not that it's positive or negative, but a pothead and a cokehead are more than likely not going to have too much in common, lifestyle or personality-wise.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Just because there are some drugs which are illegal and others that aren't doesn't necessarily mean that the drugs which are legal are less harmful. All drugs are harmful to the health of the person using them. But there certainly are some which are worse than others. Synthetic drugs IMHO, are the worst.
  13. knitmehere

I have to agree that synthetic drugs are pretty bad, and no one ever thinks about them because they are legal. Some of the worst things for are health are still legal.
  14. monty

monty Active Contributor

According to me, most people would agree that some drugs are worse than others but,heroin is probably considered to be more dangerous than marijuana. Because governments formulate criminal and social policies based upon classifications of harm, a new study published by the Lancet on November 1st makes interesting reading. Researchers led by Professor David Nutt, a former chief drugs adviser to the British government, asked drug-harm experts to rank 20 drugs (legal and illegal) on 16 measures of harm to the user and to wider society, such as damage to health, drug dependency, economic costs and crime.
    Plese stop addiction to this harmful poisons and lead a happy life.
  15. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Well the effects of them are surely different. Getting addicted to any bears the same consequences however. So from a physical point, yes one can be worse. But from a mental point, no they are all the same.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Some drugs are more dangerous than others but one thing is for sure, there will be bad consequences if we abuse them. I'm not keen on judging other people because of their bad choices because for me, there are circumstances that I am not aware of that probably lead them to using drugs. Moreover, I wouldn't like it as well if other people judge me because of some of my mistakes in the past.
  17. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I do not even consider marijuana a drug. Honestly I do not. I know that might not be something everyone agrees on but I just have seen so many studies that show how helpful it can be to people. Now..I do believe that someone can be dependent on it and abuse it..just like they can do to alcohol. BUT I do think that all the other drugs are bad. I feel that the worst is Meth and Crack comes in second and then heroin. That's my thought anyway. All of them are bad and dangerous.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It depends, I used to think that even using the less dangerous drug such as marijuana could be really bad for you, but lately, a person that I admire a lot started smoking marijuana a lot, and he seems to be good and seems to be the same person, I'm not really sure if this will go on but for now, I think that it's fine that he's using marijuana and not heroine or something more dangerous...
  19. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

You don't die from marijuana and really I couldn't care less about the law. I don't like it, I never did and I never will. What matters is how something is affecting you and cocaine is a dangerous drug. But you already know that, don't you? Your senses are hyper and your actions are ridiculously dangerous when you are on coke. Not to mention possible heart attacks and brain haemorrhages. On the other hand you have marijuana that makes you a bloody pacifist :) and the only way to die from it is to fall a sleep on the rail or in a burning building. It will make you dumber than you really are if you do it too much so it is advisable to take it easy.
  20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Cocaine is much more deadlier and addictive, but when it comes to drugs, they are all illegal and not good. You are right about that! I don't really tend to judge on these kinds of people much though...