An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Overconfidence In Recovery Counterproductive?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I knew one preacher man who had been a drug addict, got locked away for some crime he committed while under the influence and when he came out he often went to preach to his friends in pubs. And it wasn't long before he started drinking again.

It's very easy for someone who is overconfident to take unnecessary risks and end up slipping.

What do you think? Should a recovering addict be always terrified of the drugs [they used] and stay away from people who use them "forever" if possible?
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hmm...that's a tough one. I think that we should not be terrified of our addictions. We should instead face them and tackle them head on for that is how we will be able to beat our addictions.

With regards to the people who are still using, I think it depends on the situation. If that person is trying to pull us back to that life, then it's time to let go of them. But if that person needs help and is also willing to change, then I guess we should lend them a hand and support them.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think being over confident can be risky. I can understand what this guy was trying to do, but he should have took the right precautions. When your trying to overcome an addiction staying away from things that trigger it is the best thing to do. Hopefully the guy you were talking about learned from his mistakes and can break his habit for good now.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Overconfidence in anything can be problematic. Being confident is necessary. Being overconfident is dangerous.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think to overcome an addiction in the first place then a person has a to have a certain amount of confidence. Then being able to face that substance again and not go back to your old ways also requires a lot of confidence, but a overconfident nature can quickly be your downfall.

I'm sure we all know people that are overconfident and its ended up where they have ended up.looking like the fool.
  6. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I second what deanokat says about being overconfident. You need confidence and an acknowledgement or belief in the fact that you will succeed, otherwise you won't get far. But being arrogant may be detrimental, its hard to say with drugs because you can't really say that you are too confident in quitting because that would imply that you are very sure that you won't touch that drug again. You can make yourself look like a fool if you are overconfident and you could probably find yourself using that drug again because you've become oblivious to it. Again, its a tough one though.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I think you should be a as confident as you want, you are not going to jump this hurdle without being confident. You have to tell yourself that you are done, if you go back on your word mid way, it just means you did not have enough faith in yourself to begin with. Don't assume it will be easy but be as confident as ever in the fact that you will get through it.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think you need the confidence that you are going to be able to accomplish the task, but being over confident can lead to relapse. It might be something where just having one or two would lead to relapse. It is just one of the sorts of things that may be a downfall when it comes to staying sober.
  9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Hmm. Maybe it's better to just have a more practical assessment of the issue, instead of "knowing" that you've "conquered" it. As in it's better to understand that it's a lifelong battle filled with daily choices, and understanding and embracing that, rather than thinking you're a superhero because you've been sober for a few months?
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think this was a problem with over-confidence. I think it was probably more of a problem with arrogance. Going to the pub to preach to his friends about it almost sounds like he made a bet with them to prove that he could do it or something. They probably thought he was being too smug and talked him into having a drink while he was there!
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As you say, being confident us one thing but he did take things to far in my opinion. People don't want to be preached at, and if a person as had a drink problem and then overcome it, that's one thing. You don't then want them to push their views on to you and make you feel bad about what your doing.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think optimism is wonderful, but overconfidence can sure be dangerous. I think when you're optimistic you are aware that yes there will be tough times along the road but you'll be able to get through them. I think overconfidence though can mean you think it'll be easy or that your addiction will be cured in the blink of an eye. I think you need to be realistic and optimistic - just not over confident!
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Recovering addicts should definitely avoid the people that they know that use drugs, since the possibility of a relapse is very likely if they hang out with the same people. Remember, birds of the same feather flock together, right?
  14. dblanch

dblanch Member

It all depends on the person I think. Confidence is key to recovery, having too much of it can certainly harm someone, but in some cases it might push them to recovery even faster.
  15. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

I think there is a major difference between self confidence and self delusion. I don't think being over confident is a bad thing in general, but it cannot be at the cost of reality. It is very easy to delude yourself into the kind of thinking where you believe you cannot possibly make the same mistakes you did before. That is not the same as being super (over?) confident that you can beat the problem.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that the key point here is that they need to know that if they keep touch with people who are still using can be a bad thing for them, or just a trigger, but they have to know themselves to decide if they really can manage a situation like that or if it's actually that dangerous.
    They don't necessarily need to be terrified, but they need to be careful.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Overconfidence can lead to failures simply because something might happen that you weren't able to predict, I guess it's always good to be reasonable. Take the recovery process one step at the time and good things will happen! :)
  18. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

It sounds to me like the preacher man wasn't grounded in his sobriety and faith yet but believed he was. Was it overconfidence or pride both of which can make you fall flat on your face?
  19. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

This is a hard question for an addict, like myself, but I believe that when you get too confident in anything you will start to slip up.

Just knowing that you are good at something or doing a good job and to just keep pushing is good enough for me. But I will always be humble and know that I will eventually slip up and make a mistake.. But for an addict that mistake usually means re-lapse. So I guess an addict, in a sense, has to be overconfident.
  20. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

This is one of those things I rather not to think about it, but won't do any good to ignore the obvious I guess. I would say its better to stay aware of everything thats going on, and never be ashamed to start over when you slip, once you're an addict you will always be an addict. I know my life will probably never going to be the same because I lost my innocence and now I now I gotta work hard to avoid certain things. Overconfidence can really be a problem if you forget who you are.