An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Overconfidence In Recovery Counterproductive?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Exactly! I think overconfidence breeds complacency, which is not good for someone in recovery.
  2. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I think that a positive outlook when quitting drugs is optimal. That's way they know that there is hope, but that they haven't quit a drug yet.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Okay, first things first, I think that at the start of each person's recovery, avoiding anything that can trigger the addiction is mandatory. We're just too weak and vulnerable at that point and we cannot afford losing the battle that early on. I mean, during those first few months and weeks, you won't find me near my addicted friends or places we hang out to. It's the only way that I can get into my recovery.

But at some point in our lives, we would have to face the places, people and substances. Maybe we won't be seeing drugs as often but we sure do see alcohol and cigarettes everyday. And it's important to build that courage to face these substances eventually. We need to have the proper mindset and focus so we will be able to have that confidence that we can be around this substance and not get drawn into it.

But you don't have to force yourself. Chances are, it would take some years before you can be around the substance. Sometimes being humble and less confident is the only way to be successful in your recovery.
  4. mistermiranda

mistermiranda Member

I think confidence helps you maintain a drive in accomplishing anything, including maintaining sobriety. With that being said, I have witnessed clients be overconfident as a way of hiding insecurities or mistakes (as in misleading counselors or probation officers to believe that they're doing well). When clients come to me being more confident than they normally are, it raises red flags for me. Same when they're less confident than they usually are.