An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Phillip Morris prepped to take over the marijuana game?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 5, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've always thought Phillip Morris has been rubbing its hands together in waiting for marijuana to become federally legal. They already have the operation in place to roll & package faster than anyone else. Easily popping cartons of 'joints' (doubt they'll call them that) in your local Walgreens or gas station. It may work perfectly for them seeing as tobacco has been made to look like a shifty murderous trickster & marijuana is being painted as a wonder drug. So, is Phillip Morris lying in wait for marijuana to be legalized?
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I'm betting they are chomping at the bit to get into the marijuana market. But then again, legalizing marijuana may not be advantageous to the big corporations. The thing with marijuana is that it is relatively easy to produce. Unlike tobacco that needs fresh air and a large land to be profitable, one can grow kush in their basement and earn enough to feed a family. Users can even grow a few pots of the plant in the bathroom for their own personal consumption. I'm not saying big companies don't have a place in the market of pot. I just don't think they would be as powerful.
    henry likes this.
  3. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Having lived down the road from the Phillip Morris headquarters , several years ago, (sure any who travels through I95 has also seen their signs), I always wondered this myself.

I found an article, but I think it is just some kind of joke.

Starts off something like this:

Well, guess what, stock in Phillip Morris just doubled with the news of their latest brand, “Marlboro M” Yep, that's right they have stepped into the game. These packs will be available in Colorado, and the state of Washington around January 2016.

Now, get this, they are even going to advertise in next years Superbowl commercials, apparently marijuana is not consider a tobacco product (which is banned in commercials). Interesting enough only Colorado and Washington will see the whole pack of Marlboro M, other states will only see some smoke and a static M logo.

Gets a bit weirder, when an article noted the company is contact with "former" drug lords to set up a deal to grow the product for them in Mexico. So there you have it, talk of a new legal distribution ring.

Is this just some kind of spoof, it sounds too weird to be true!

Anyone else hear this rumor?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Eventually I think the big companies will be making it's move into the recreational marijuana market. Colorado is making one billion dollars in taxing the sale of recreational marijuana. As more states start joining in, the big companies will come in and take over the mom and pop shops like walmart does to everyone in the nation.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The market that authorities have opened now is quite an opportunity for tobacco companies to move on to other unused "things". Tobacco has got dreary already, and many people start quitting each year, even though it doesn't seem this way, but it just doesn't sell as much as it used to. This opportunity will not simply slip out of their hands, there's going to be fierce competition to fidelize potential customers.
    That's good news for me.
  6. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I doubt that it is going to happen anytime soon. The government is still very strict with regards to marijuana in most places. There is no way they'd let any company run this for business.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally don't talk like they were to do it tomorrow, no. I'm talking decades from now, but when that time comes, there will be undoubtedly a lot of battles conducted by these gigantic companies.
    Today there aren't many possibilities to do it anytime soon, but in the future, trust me, there's going to be a lot of pressure concerning its complete legalization. I don't want to witness that period, but it's inevitable.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is funny I was just thinking that there will be packs of marijuana on the shelves soon. I was just reading about how cocaine, heroine, and lithium has been in certain things for a long time. Coca-cola has been slipping in cocaine for a ridiculous amount of time.
    Twisted and odd world we live in. I don't know why but this pack of marlboros makes me laugh and I don't even smoke.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There are so many cannabis jurisdictions I don't know where Phillip Morris fits in. If they're going to distribute cannabis-based cigarettes then they'd have to target states that have already decriminalized the drug. The house seems to be divided. I'm for the prohibition of marijuana but it's not like I can really do anything about this issue. I just hope commercializing marijuana cigarettes won't lead to more crimes.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's almost like we have come full circle isn't it! It would make perfect sense, from a business point of view, for tobacco companies to start offering marijuana products. They already seem to be moving into the e-cig market as a was of bolstering falling profits and I'm sure that pre-packed joints would be another money spinner.
  11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's a tad concerning to imagine they would end up ruling that market especially given their propensity for additives. If one were interested in buying legalized marijuana I should hope a gang of hippies starts a corporation similar to Ben & Jerry in that they are interested in money & quality.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting.
    These tobacco companies only care about making money, and with tobacco profits falling they are looking for new ways to make money.
    You are right they have the systems in place already and switching from tobacco to dope will be easy.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm pretty sure pot won't come in packs like cigarettes. Lord I hope not anyway. People would stay high especially chain smokers. Not sure how it will be packaged if it becomes legal nationwide will be interesting to see that.
  14. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

If they're not openly doing it you can believe behind closed doors they're coming up with plans. Everyones looking for the next big score, or next big thing to make money off of. And Phillip Morris isn't stupid, they've already showed considerably Research and Development as is clear with their "M" brand of smokes. This is just their experimental "Control" to see how it works, I think. After that, yeah, I believe they could be poised to jump into the business headfirst. I wouldn't be shocked, to say the least.