An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is smoking still considered cool among the youth these days?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Damien Lee, May 25, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Perhaps a younger forum member may be able to answer this. I've been out of the loop with what the younger generations are into these days. As a kid growing up and going to school back in the 80's & 90's, it was considered cool to smoke. At least half of the kids in high school were smokers, even though it was forbidden by the school rules. However, this did not deter anyone and smoking behind the school bicycle shed or inside the change rooms was normal.

Do most teenagers these days behave the same, or have they turned to other vices?
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Times have changed. When I got my first job, what I noticed in the office were the ash trays on most of the tables. Majority of my office mates were smokers. That was the trend in the 1970s and 1980s. But now I have noticed that the youth have other passion than smoking - more of drinking, tattoo and bikes. Those are what I see in the young people in my circle.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I had the privilege to work with university art students last summer and the general altitude towards smoking has changed. There were certain groups were smoking was commom and cool but it wasn't the norm. This was canada too so im not sure if this is now the normal.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

There are plenty of adolescents and young adults that think smoking is something to be proud of. However, attitudes really have changed in the past few years. Far fewer people smoke, especially among younger individuals. The numbers are still too high for us to get comfortable about the numbers, but it's promising that smoking rates have dropped among most age groups as time goes on.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, yes, it is. This is how most start their journey with cigarettes still, trust me on that. And from the looks of it, nothing will change in the approximate future, either. I remember this is how I started smoking, too, and it remained the same till now.
  6. Tryner

Tryner Member

It depends on the kid. I'm 18, and I started smoking at 13. I didn't do it because it was cool, but because I wanted to know what it was like. None of my friends seem to think smoking is cool, but I've gotten "compliements" on the fact that I smoke from my sisters middle school friends. I thought that was really odd. I know teenagers who think smoking is disgusting, and they won't even talk to me because of it. I also know kids who are desperately trying to quit, who smoke around other smokers, and who absolutely love cigarettes. It varies.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It depends a lot on the country and the kids involved I think. In my mother country is no longer seen as such a cool thing to smoke in public, not more than swearing in public at least, lol. But I have noticed things are a bit different in certain european countries, some kids still think it's cool and sophisticated, talking about the Netherlands, by the way.

It depends on the kid, but smoking in the Netherlands, specially weed seems to be a big thing. You should smell the air in Amsterdam in the afternoon, downtown, of course, that place stinks so bad!!! Just smoke in the air!!
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I don't think it's cool, not like it used to be portrayed anyway, I do still think that it's seen as the more rebellious side, for people growing up.

A lot of teenagers do still start smoking due to peer pressure, and they feel that it's important to fit in. It's also an easy way of fighting back, if parents, teachers and society in general say that you shouldn't do something, then as a teenager you normally want to do the exact opposite.
  9. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I don't any young person that thinks smoking is cool. My sister is pretty young (19) and one of her 17 year old friends is a smoker. They're constantly telling her she needs to quit and she actually did and started eating pretty spicy food to cope lol
  10. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I think it depends on the type of people that you surround yourself with. I was always one of the "nerds" and my group of friends looked away from people who smoked because we knew some things that could happen to us if we tried, we also played it safe to avoid any conflicts with our parents. There are those group of kids that smoke and think that it is cool, but I always found that the school avoided these people. Now, drinking on the other hand, was something that was cool amongst everyone!
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

From what I've gathered a lot of teenagers still smoke just to be cool among their friends, but that also depends on what type of people they hang out with.
    It is a big problem still, that's why a lot of teens get addicted to certain substances.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, I don't think smoking is considered so "cool" anymore. I think this generation is now aware of what smoking can cause. Of course, there are lots of teenagers who smoke, but at least they are well informed about it and take the risk.
  13. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

My father told me he started smoking when he was 13. He said b/c smoking back then defined "mature, cool & being a man". Then I realized there were so many smoking ads during the 40s-60s. Even cartoons like Looney Tunes had characters smoking, promoting kids to start smoking too. & you know that Camel smoking ad? Why was it made into a cartoon? To bring kids into smoking too.

I guess people stopped thinking smoking was cool b/c I think in the 70s or 80s scientists proved smoking kills. Yet, my father still smoked, it was so addicting. Now, it's 2015, my father's dying of lung cancer. I'm so glad I learned a lesson. I'll never smoke or drink.
  14. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It used to be more "cool" back in the day if you can even call it cool. But it's more uncool than ever now. It's way more cool to be able to breathe!! Besides it's getting so expensive, what's the point? There are plenty of things you can do that are much cooler.
  15. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It was cool because in the old days cigarette companies used to pay film stars to smoke on screen, making it look glamorous even though they knew it is addictive and causes cancer.
  16. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Honestly, I see less teen smokers today than I did when I was in high school. That's a good thing btw. Even though kids still smoke weed, normal cigarettes seem to be "on the way out" in terms of being popular with the youth. Maybe all those anti-tobacco messages are starting to take effect.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Yes, smoking is still considered a "cool thing" for many young people. I see a number of pre-pubescent kids smoking their lungs out in dingy alleys with no adult to supervise them or tell them they're not supposed to be self-destructive at such an early point in their lives. I think something has to be done before juvenile delinquents start smoking themselves to an early grave.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think it still is. Peer pressure and the glamorization on film are still present. Kids will follow what they see and they are going to rebel and do what they want. Not much has changed.
  19. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

Nowadays, it depends on what you are smoking. Today, young people consider smoking cigarrettes repulsive because of the many public campaigns developed on ciggarette smoking. Smoking weed is the in thing.
    Young people are ignorant of the harmful effects of marijuana, but they are still willing to use the herb to show their friends how bad ass they can get.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, I'm 20 but I guess I can still answer you this question. When I was in high school a lot of kids used to smoke, I don't know if this was because it was something cool but I guess it was. And not only smoking is considered something "cool"on this days, I think that all that is forbidden for teenagers such as drinking or even doing drugs is "cool" I guess that this is because they want to grow up faster, and a way to do this is the imitation of adults behavior.