An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is smoking worth it?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Nancy D., Feb 17, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

All my life I grew up with people smoking and I understood at an early age that smoking was bad for our health. I knew it was a risk to take to even start smoking...because of the addiction. I would see family members that I loved..smoking and carrying on and this would make me so sad and afraid. As always I have had an understanding that buying them is asking for trouble big time. In no time I was addicted for many years and had the courage and power to quit. I am so thankful to have done this and to have been done with them for many years now..never looking back.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That's good to hear, I did the same. Once I learned about how many chemicals were in cigarettes I had to quit. There were two of my aunts and a Godmother who died from issues related to cigarettes. My father had a stroke and he used to smoke cigarettes. I knew that I wouldn't be an exception to the consequences of smoking .
  3. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

That is right...we have to take a stand against the harmful affects. It will plague our families, our communities, the children..it is just an epidemic that needs to be stopped. I think it should at least be regulated...but somehow i don't think this will stop it.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Very good share, that gives strength to those that thinking of quitting. In answer to your tittle is smoking worth it? The answer has to be a big NO. There is no gain in smoking.
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The body requires food and water for sustenance. These needs existed from infancy. Smoking cigarettes and taking other drugs is a learned habit. That's why there is an initial physiological resistance when one smokes them for the first time. The expense, debilitating illnesses and progressive dependency are not worth it.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that. :)
    So true that smoking is bad to anyone's health especially in the long run. Smoking can cause various health issues and can also harm others through the secondhand smoke.
  7. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

That's very good. Smoking is really bad for health and overcoming the addiction is never easy. There is absolutely no gain in smoking.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It always makes me happy to read the success stories of other people who could beat the habit for good, because it fills me with hope. My fiance has been smoking for 12 years, he was exposed to second hand smoke coming from his idiotic parents since he was a baby. So I really want him to quit, he has started coughing lately and it worries me so much.
  9. blenly

blenly Member

Absolutely not! I don't like to think about the money that I would have wasted from smoking. In my high point I was on a full 20 a day habit. I was smoking Marlboro that where between 8 and 9 pounds per packet of 20. Which is like $11+ a day. It's absolutely shocking how much I spent. My financial situation would be much better off if I'd never started smoking.
  10. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I used to admire smokers because when I am frustrated, I would feel like lighting up a stick, though I have the fear of damaging my lungs. But I realized why do something that is not healthy for your health? Smoking is a necessity to some but to others it is not.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Thanks for the share. My parents were addicted to smoking too, but both stopped before I turned 5. My sister was born soon after that and luckily she has never touched a cigarette as a result. I on the other hand did smoke once, but I never liked it and I haven't smoked for years. It just goes to show that no matter how you think and what you believe, those around you will always have a big influence on your life decisions, whether you know it or not.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The coughing might seem like a bad thing but the reality is, it's the way your body finds to clean itself. If only your fiance could do the final push and stop, but smoking is getting out of fashion and you there are more and more people quitting.