An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Society Becoming More Accepting of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Aescopri, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Because of internet forums such as this one, and social media sites which ensure anonymity, drug addicts are starting to share their experiences with marijuana and other such drugs. Songs are being written, and rap songs are being sung about drugs and partying and these lifestyles. Infographics are being written about the benefits of marijuana. Non-drug addicts can see their open attitude about marijuana, and think that it's really not all that bad.
    Is this becoming an issue?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it more depends om where a person lives. Those who lives in a place where marijuana is legal, they will "more likely" to believe on those good write ups or things about marijuana. Vice versa for those who lives in areas where it is considered illegal.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Where I live, marijuana is an illegal Class B drug (the same class as speed and mephedrone) and there are no plans whatsoever on legalizing it, not even for medicinal use. However, smoking marijuana has become such a regular and socially accepted cultural habit in this country that having a joint has become as normal as having a cup of tea and yes, I mean that literally. Anyone under the age of about 40 in this country seems to have that attitude. In a few years time, I can imagine teenagers going to visit their grandparents only to be offered a joint instead of a cup of tea. That's how socially acceptable it has become and I think the whole recent banning of smoking in public places and introduction of e-cigarettes are actually a way of trying to counteract this rather than being genuinely concerned by tobacco consumption.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Well it was just recently announced that it will be fully legalized in Canada, and it's fully legal in a lot of U.S states and other countries. In other places people practice what is called "tolerance" as in, black on white marijuana is illegal, but police don't bother with it and people are more open towards it. I never thought it's that bad, if we had to rank it, it's safer than hard booze and nicotine, so there's that.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Here in the UK, marijuana as been commonly used in all walks of society. Even though it's officially illegal, the police aren't to strict when it comes to implementing the laws.

With it becoming more acceptable these days, I can see a time soon when it is made legal.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It really depends on your geographical area, preponderantly if your youth conducts there pro-marijuana protests. Where I live, this isn't quite the case since we won't legalize marijuana if our neighbors don't do it as well, but hey... I don't mind it. If I want to smoke a joint or two, I have to pay $150 for a plane ticket to go to the nearby country where it's legal... and that's it! I don't want to risk prison here, because, yes, you can serve prison time around here. :(
  7. Sparkster

I seriously doubt this will happen in the UK any time soon, if ever. It was only recently that the the UK government reclassified marijuana back to a Class B substance due to it's increasing potency, after originally downgrading it to a Class C substance a few years back when it wasn't so potent. That means it's now in the same class as Speed/Meth. It's now three times more potent than it was back then due to genetically engineered and crossbred strains and higher THC levels. It seems to me that the UK government are moving closer and closer to classifying pure THC as a Class A substance, meaning possession will be an imprisonable offense. Additionally, I don't think they've ever even considered or discussed the medical benefits of marijuana publicly.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, the fact that in some states it is already legal then it is quite obvious that the society has now become more accepting of marijuana. After all, it's effects are not as harmful as other drugs, that's why people are a bit "lenient" when it comes to weed.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Just like alcohol (that was first legal, then illegal, and then legal again), marijuana had a time where it was legal throughout the entire United States. In fact by mandate of the English Crown (way back in the day) every land owner had to have a portion of his lot dedicated to planting marijuana. This was needed to create ropes for the ships among other products. In fact, it wasn't until the 1930's-1940's that marijuana became illegal in the US. So if you think about it, on US soil marijuana was legal for about 300-350 years and illegal for 60. In a way the smoking of marijuana is a little overrated. The creation of marijuana derived products and medicines is a lot more than what is actually smoked. I don't know in a way people just make to big of a deal about smoking it, since there is so much you can do with it besides that.
  10. Sparkster

And so you can see why it was outlawed in the first place, as a result of a smear campaign against it. It was suppressed due to it's huge variety of beneficial uses including manufacturing products, producing oil, creating medicines and even curing terminal illnesses such as cancer. Conspiracy theory? No, the evidence and the history is there. Just like other alternative medicines and technologies have been suppressed throughout history.
  11. pwarbi

Of course it can and probably will happen in the UK. The police are already turning a blind eye to people who smoke marijuana or just have enough for personal use.

What the laws are, and actually implementing them are two different things.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I live here in the Philippines, and here in our place, this substance is illegal, and once it has been proven that you're using, or selling marijuana, you will surely go to jail. To answer your question though, I think in some Western countries, people have already gotten used to hearing things about marijuana. However, in Asian countries, it's never the case.
  13. pwarbi

So while the western world, particularly the US are looking at making marijuana legal or at the very least decriminalising it, you don't expect your country to follow down the same path anytime soon?
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The fact that it's getting that Marijuana use is getting to be more acceptable should be of great concern to society. Despite the fact that research does indicate Marijuana isn't as harmful as most of the other drugs, it is and when recreational use is legal everywhere that's when we'll start seeing the effects of marijuana abuse because it will be available and widely abused.
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in a society where movies, TV shows and music, treats marijuana like it's something fun and harmless, social acceptance is bound to happen. It's like all the gay propaganda going on these days. The gay style of life is being accepted more than ever thanks to all the promotion it's getting in the media.
  16. Sparkster

The UK is the country where this is least likely to happen. The police may turn a blind eye to small-time pot smokers on the streets but there has been a serious clamp-down on cannabis farms and cultivators and dealers in the UK over the last few years. There's no point targeting the small fish when they can target the suppliers. There is no talk or plans whatsoever for marijuana to be downgraded in the UK, let alone be used for medical use. It's going in the opposite direction in the UK and is, by all accounts, currently more illegal now than it ever has been before in the UK. If you think marijuana is going to be legalized in the UK any time soon, whether for recreational use or for medical use, you are mistaken. The UK government have been persistently tightening up on it over the course of the last five years or so. This unequivocally will not happen any time within the next ten years.
  17. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Drug liberalization leads to drug legalization which leads, ultimately, to government tax revenues.

As with so many other things in the culture today, it is the worship of mammon - money - which is driving the increasingly easy access to mind-altering and life-shattering drugs. It's just a sad reality we have to live with.....
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

- I believe that marijuana has some of the bes ambassadors in Hollywood. To begin with Seth Rogen and James Franco. I believe that the first one have maybe two movies where he is not a pot head. He does it quite naturally I think. I like his movies and I find him funny, just to be clear, and have no problem with making marijuana friendly as it should be. You have Harold and Kumar series, The Big Lebowski, Ted and many more. Do not forget South Park please. Anyway, this is one of the reasons weed has gone so viral and accepted.
  19. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Yes, it's becoming socially acceptable. Places like Seattle and Denver are becoming more and more overwhelmed with it.

Hopefully there will be a push back phase eventually. My family in Washington says that the culture is having a real effect on people in general. More and more laziness, brainlessness, bad decisions, inability to hold a job, strain on wallets, etc. And spreading to schools as well. Eventually people will hopefully get sick of its deleterious effect and put a cap on it, or at least form some rules of responsible usage a la alcohol.
  20. pwarbi

I disagree. While it might not happen anytime soon, there is a call for cannabis to be legalised and just like it is in the US, eventually that time will come.

While the official line is that cannabis use will not be tolerated under any circumstances, ask any police force and they will say they are more lenient than ever when it comes to arresting and prosecuting users and dealers.

The hard substances are being targeted more and more, and the police will use the limited funds at their disposal to crack down on heroin, and cocaine dealers than going after the weed smokers and sellers.

I've worked with drug organisations in my area and spoken to many officials regarding the matter and on the record it will not be tolerated. Off the record there are cannabis farms that are known about by the police but they only have a certain amount of resources and while they're not happy they are there, they are happy enough to use what money they have on more serious issues facing the communities.