An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is society trying to make us feel shame for smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by lalabee21, Sep 15, 2015.

1. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I have to agree, I do feel as though people look down on you because you smoke, even ex-smokers. When I was in my teens smoking cigarettes was glamorized, it was the cool thing to do. Now all I see and hear advertised are the negative effects of smoking. I wonder if the number of smokers decreases drastically if the media will again advertise smoking in a positive way.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Smoking isn't shameful. Too much of it has negative health consequences, though. Regulated smoking can be considered a recreational activity - something you do just to pass off time or blow off steam. However, utter dependency to cigarettes is another story. If it reaches a point where the person can no longer function normally then I guess it's definitely a cause for alarm.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

In the eyes of non-smokers, smoking can be a bane, so I think that there is a bit of discrimination, but they don't really intend to humiliate people. They just don't want any smoker smoking in their vicinity so at times they make their opinions known by telling you to smoke somewhere else.
  4. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think it is being considered a shameful thing in recent years because it is now being considered a drug. This is to say it is being classified as a legal drug like alcohol and that if someone announces he/she is an alcoholic I think it gets a lot of stigma.
  5. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think society has done the very opposite for the longest while! Smoking was always seen as being cool and hip but it is just in recent years when the health issues associated with it has been fully studied and understood. The media is just trying to warn people about the health risks of smoking but that is not stopping people from smoke.
  6. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I don't think smoking should be shameful. I often feel shameful when I explain that I smoked and that I'm in the process of stopping. Like you, I understand that it has bad effects on health, but I enjoy doing it. It's a bad habit, but I don't think I should be embarrassed / shamed because of it!
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't see smoking as being shameful, but then again that depends a lot on the circumstances... I personally look down on those women who keep smoking during the whole length of their pregnancy, even knowing that is bad for their baby. I also look down on those horrible parents who smoke in the presence of their small children.
  8. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think it's shameful, rather it's becoming less and less socially acceptably. There have been very strong anti-tobacco campaigns and it's natural that the general public feel that smoking is unnecessary.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think it's shame that society wants to make you feel, but I do think there has definitely been an increase in legislation designed to protect others. We know the dangers of smoking now, so I think it's a good thing that there have been laws passed for things like smoking in restaurants or smoking with children in a vehicle. Ultimately it's about ensuring others aren't affected by an individual's choice to smoke, to me.
  10. GenaJade

GenaJade Member

I get so much hatred from friends who don't smoke. I have one group of friends that absolutely hates smoking with a passion and they make me feel pretty bad about doing it. I don't necessarily think society is trying to make us feel shameful, but they are most certainly trying to get people to quit. Take CVS for example, they stopped selling cigarettes in hopes that people would stop, but it did nothing for their business in my opinion. I honestly don't understand what the big deal is. Yes, they do give you cancer and other effects, but come on, it's not like we're shooting up or something. Nicotine is a drug, that's no secret, and it is indeed, very addictive, but if people want to smoke, I think society should let them do so in peace. It's not like anyone is forcing you to be around it.
  11. GenaJade

GenaJade Member

The TRUTH campaign is one of the biggest anti-tobacco campaigns out there today. I cannot go a single day without seeing one of their commercials. They are targeting teens, I know, but in my opinion, it's getting a bit out of hand. They were able to get the numbers down by a percent, but people are going to do what they want to do, that's a proven fact. We are given free will to choose what we put in our bodies, and some of us choose to smoke a cigarette. I get what these campaigns are trying to do and it's a positive thing, but for me, it's just a bit much. I will admit though, some of the commercials are hilarious.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't think it's a shameful thing, but a bad health choice. If you try to make someone feel ashamed of smoking they may want to do it more just to be defiant. If someone just learns about the effects of smoking then decides for themselves to quit that may be better than trying to shame them. I can understand if people who don't smoke don't want smoking around them tho. The best way to be motivated to quit is to think about the side effects of it and how it will shorten your life span.
  13. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

They certainly try to shame smokers in my opinion.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Well smoking isn't the greatest thing in the world.
    Even though I used to smoke, when I see someone smoking I think a little less of them.
    I have even heard some employers are asking if people are smokers, so beware that yes a lot of people will judge you in a negative way if they think you are a smoker.
  15. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

They definitely are trying to shame smokers. They want to try to get rid of it and I guess they think shaming smokers will make kids think it's not cool anymore.
  16. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

Wasn't there a time in society when you were lame for not smoking? I feel like now that we know it's lame to put your family through years of medical bills and force our habits down everyone's throat (literally). I think that's where the shaming comes in. Society can't make me feel more ashamed of myself than I already do. If anything they're trying to convince me to stop the nice way.
  17. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

First оf аll, I dоn't think it's right оr hеlpful tо shаmе pеоplе fоr аnything. But I dо think thеrе is а diffеrеnсе in thеsе саsеs.

Smоking оr using drugs is sоmеthing yоu dо. It prоbаbly hаs sоmе big impасts оn thаt pеrsоn's lifе аnd hеаlth, but it's nоt thе оnly fасtоr аt plаy.

Bеing fаt is а stаtе оf bеing. Еаting hаbits, physiсаl асtivity, еtс аrе асtiоns thаt might impасt fаtnеss. But unlikе with smоking, pеоplе dоn't usuаlly hаtе оn thе unhеаlthy асtiоns, but rаthеr thе stаtе оf fаtnеss. Аnd whеn yоu'rе shаmеd fоr sоmеthing yоu аrе rаthеr thаn sоmеthing yоu dо thаt shаmе rеаlly gеts intо yоur hеаd.

If yоu аrе tоld yоu аrе а wеаk оr lаzy pеrsоn аnd yоu tаkе this tо hеаrt, thеn yоu hаvе tо оvеrсоmе this fееling оf pеrsоnаl wоrthlеssnеss tо еvеn bеgin tо bеliеvе yоu саn mаkе сhаngеs аnd ассоmplish hеаlth rеlаtеd gоаls. If yоu аrе tоld yоu hаvе а filthy hаbit, yоur pеrsоnаl wоrth is nоt bеing аttасkеd, but оnе pаrtiсulаr сhоiсе thаt yоu'vе mаdе.
  18. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

I agree that us smokers are made to feel ashamed. I don't think the same is true with drinking. A person is more likely to kill someone while being drunk than while smoking. So I wonder why drinking is glorified. I'm an adult, I'm following the law yet I'm still treated as an outcast.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People shouldn't be made to feel shame by anybody else, no matter what they do. Who are they to judge what you do and how you live your life, after all?