An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there a difference between craving and addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gustbaiderment, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

I know that many don't agree with this.
    But having suffered with addiction for many years I can honestly say that I believe addiction is a disease also.
    Or disorder. Like depression.
    cheffy and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Yea I agree but i suppose there are alot of variables in there, but yea I think the disorder causes the brain to physically change which would definitely signify a disease.
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  3. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I wondered a lot about that too. I thought that addiction was the result of something deeper, like depression which it can be but addiction is less of a symptom and more of a primary thing that goes along with or is even higher in the chain than something like depression. What made my mind up was watching a video called Pleasure Unwoven by Dr. Kevin McCauley. He identifies all the details about addiction, tells you the medical definition of disease (like the requirement that an organ has to be specifically affected), and then shows you why addiction is a disease. He digs deep and does a great job of showing how the addicted brain works - all the chemistry and what's going on with the receptors and all that in the addict's brain. One of the most interesting things he describes is how an addict's brain jumps forward and starts craving (and wanting more and more) when put under duress. You know, that sense of urgency you get when someone says no more for you and you get nervous and immediately want even more than normal - the feeling like you need to stock up your body on the drug. The video is for sale for around $30 or you can stream it for $10 or I think there are some Youtubes that you can see for free. Well worth it.
  4. Onceaddicted77

Sounds like a awesome film I will check that out for sure.
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Whether it substance abuse or non-substance abuse, e.g. gambling, those that are still craving or have the compulsion, are psychologically addicted.

Pain management patients can become physically addicted to opiates, and after weened many don’t crave, as do junkies, because junkies are psychologically addicted mostly due to unresolved depression.

I’ve known 100’s of abstinent junkies that smoke cigarettes and their nicotine addiction is or was harder to kick than heroin. This makes sense, because nicotine and heroin are alkaloids that go immediately to the brain and is directly related to self medicating depression.
  6. cheffy

I'm with you there... It's very important to distinguish between mental and physical dependencies. I've found that people that experience mental addiction experience the need for multiple 'addictive' things, like drugs/alcohol/gambling/... The common denominator of course is that the item(s) of abuse are always from something that feels good, or at least doesn't feel bad. And even something like cutting is ultimately something that makes you feel good. So you've got this little spigot in your brain that doesn't work right and is either stuck on or stuck off most of the time, and something like drugs, or anything considered 'addictive', can fulfill the need caused by the stuck spigot.
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

Very interesting and bigly <<<lol thought provoking. I guess I'm psychologically addicted,iv e kicked everything but the ball in the yard many many times and very interesting you brought up cutting, actually in multiple threads today,anyways I was told by an ex girlfriend once to just kill myself so in front of me laid a razor blade,I grabbed it and slit my wrist(fuc*ing stupid drunk)and that's how I survived I missed the wrist and sliced the muscle instead and I didn't want to die I just wanted her to shut up,although I did however carve the word "Unstable"in my shin while I was in self destruct mode. Fuc* I'm truly one of the dumbest people alive when I get stuck in that personality.How do they diagnose multiple personality disorder?I think my brain took on another personality the night I got beaten till I bleed top to bottom,3 time's I was best that night twice by law enforcement and I still have nothing but love and respect for them.I pray I can figure this stuff out soon I have so much good to offer if only I could stop hating myself at random.
    STAY STRONG MY FRIEND'S AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL
  8. cheffy

Ouch! Well, all I can say is thank you for being truly concerned about the addiction community and I'm sure there are many who would say the same. Thinking about others before yourself, regardless of what they've done to you is a pretty amazing thing.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  9. True concern

True concern Moderator

It's only people who have been through really hard times who can try to relate to my life and failures and I do care about everyone here,i know the pain,hurt,sadness, confusion, sickness they know as well
  10. Joshstillclean

This- I respect madly.
  11. True concern

True concern Moderator

Thank you
    Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  12. Joshstillclean

I tell the truth. And I madly respect the way you are under fire.
  13. True concern

True concern Moderator

From the heart,doesn't mean I don't **** up but who doesn't (not speaking just about substances)
  14. Bullwinkle

Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  15. Bullwinkle

Those that become addicted are on the wide depression spectrum, where their addictive behavior temporarily relieves psychic pain of confusion and discomfort engendered by depression. Along with the temporary relief is tolerance, where the increased drinking and / or using, further distances the addict from the original experience that they attempt to recapture in vain, sometimes even to death.

Those that aren’t prone to addiction feel good, so they don’t have a need to go from feeling good to feeling good.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  16. Onceaddicted77

That's sounds about right. I get addicted to just about everything I do including my computer, my phone, reading and learning and of course substances. I've dealt with depression all my life.

The trick is turning bad habits into good habits. But even running is addictive and you'll have to run harder and further to keep getting the high.

Everything we do changes dopamine and some people are just more susceptible, like me

The like button on this post can be addicting. The fact is everything uses the addiction system, even this forum. Its designed to keep you coming back.
    True concern likes this.
  17. Bullwinkle

In 1971 science discovered beta endorphin that is 40 times stronger than heroin. This explained why some distance runners experienced addictive euphoria.

Continued depression from childhood of which many don’t know they’re depressed due to no diagnoses or misdiagnoses, self-medicate with non-substance addictive activities, alcohol or other addictive substances until a proper diagnoses. Those with bipolar affective disorder are examples.

Many on the depression spectrum practice non-substance addictive activities, e.g. outside (themselves) stimulus, gambling, TV, computers, etc. This behavior is avoidance of feeling their feelings, especially those that are PTSD, who have been mentally and /or physically abused and a high number have been sexually abused.
    True concern and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  18. Onceaddicted77

That's good information thanks @Bullwinkle appreciate you being here. :)
    True concern likes this.
  19. True concern

True concern Moderator

This is so true,when I first came here there were lots of people rooting for me to get sober,I took that care they had and went for it,3 month's sober I decided I would start running again, well obviously it started slow 5 month's in I'm pushing 2 miles every other day 7-8 month's in I was pushing 4 miles a day and I was hooked,I would run at 1:30am 4 miles some days I would run another 2 around 10pm long story short I blew out my knee,had to have surgery the Dr feed me 30 Norco every week for 8 month's than surgery and here I am trying to pull my head all the way out of my asss yet again. I don't fear a detox,they suck but they pass,however I can't move as well since the surgery so I can't run and honestly have a hard time going up and down a single step.So something that helped me stay sober I over did and it brought me back to where I don't want to be,I don't take pills everyday but there are days I do take them just to be able to walk without a noticeable little hitch.....sigh I will overcome
  20. True concern

True concern Moderator

Agreed very informative
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.