An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there a link between Marijuana and cancer?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Dan86, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Dan86

Dan86 Member

Is it true that people have a higher chance of developing cancers when smoking marijuana?

Is the increased risk due to mixing tobacco into a cannabis cigarette?

Do pure cannabis cigarettes contain the same risks?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is a good question that I would like for it to be answered by a professional in the field. I was told throughout high school that it does contribute to lung cancer, but it does not contain nicotine that cigarettes have. It is natural but, there is a lot of misleading information out there especially in the 1980 the USA has vilified Marijuana to epic proportions.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Not from what I've heard and experienced, no. Actually, it's said that marijuana kind of cures cancer, from the looks of what Internet professionals say. Like Joshposh said, it doesn't contain nicotine, gudron or other heinous, dubious substances. It's just a leaf. Though I don't condone it anyway.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's more about the method of intake. Obviously, joints containing tobacco are highly carcinogenic and any other method of inhalation (including "pure" joints) are said to increase the risk of lung or oral cancer. However, other methods of intake, like edibles for example, present no risk and are even thought by some to have cancer-fighting properties.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

I think marijuana contributes only when you smoke tobacco. Your chances of getting cancer will be high than somebody who does not smoke cigarettes.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I wouldn't doubt it since they spray toxic chemicals on the plant that shouldn't be ingested by humans.
  7. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Marijuana when smoked like any other substance does lead to lung cancer. Smoke causes lung problems and cancer is also a possibility. Why would smoking not result in lung cancer regardless of when the source of that smoke is?
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, from what I've heard, it seems that everything can cause cancer these days. If you take too much sun, you get cancer. If you eat hot-dogs, you can get cancer. If you smoke too much, you get cancer, and so on. I'm not saying we shouldn't take care of ourselves, but we seem to forget that nature will always find a way to kick us out of this world no matter what we do or how we do it.
  9. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

This, but probably to a lesser degree than, say, nicotine. Smoke is not a good thing for your lungs, regardless of the source. I'd think that if you want to take in marijuana and largely nullify the chances of getting cancer, you would want to eat it in something rather than smoke it.

It depends on what's in the smoke. Nicotine is much worse than most things because the act of combustion releases so much crap in the form of smoke. Exposing your lungs to that smoke is very bad for your health.
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Nicotine being unsafe for your body then yeah I would think there is some sort of thing should keep you away from it. I for one do not want to up my chances in getting lung cancer. It is a dangerous thing and not knowing how to avoid it leads to serious consequences.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Nope, according to some studies some chemicals in the marijuana can actually stop the cancer from spreading in your body. It was also said that people who smoked tobacco a long time have a better chance to reverse the awful carcinogenic effects of it with marijuana. They said there is a high potential for that. So I don't know where the OP got that from... smoking a cigarette is more risky than smoking pot when it comes to cancer risks.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When you smoke marijuana then you mix it with nicotine so in that respect I guess it is linked to cancer, but only because of what you put with it.

In the form of edible cannabis then I've never heard that there's a connection, so with that in mind I'd say there isn't a direction connection between the two.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

What in the world is an "internet professional."
    No sadly marijhuana doesn't cure cancer. I stumble upon many "facts" on the internet that are just plain bologna.
    This is one of them.
    I came across ONE study that says massive amounts of marijhuana (more than anyone could ever consume) had some effects on ONE type of cancer.
    I actually hear and read all kinds of non-sense about "cures" for cancer.
    There is only one real cure for cancer, it's combination therapy (chemo, radiation, surgery) via medical oncology.
  14. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

You're going to find a lot of "facts" out there placed by people with agendas, both for and against cannabis and other drugs. Make sure you find the right source, preferably something backed up with traceable scientific research.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read before that smoking it might cause lung cancer just like smoking cigarettes. Although it is less likely to happen compared to cigarettes. I think those who have personal experiences and in the medical field could prove or disapprove it.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well the statistics show links, but they are going to bury any results that show real strong links to it at this point. Eventually it will come out after millions die from cancer caused by it. There's money to be made first. Cut down the population a bit. Twisted society.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

On the contrary to the popular belief cannabis has proven to be good for some types of cancers. although no smoke is good for lungs so it might cause lung cancer.
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana advocates allege that smoking marijuana doesn't raise the risk of cancer. A Webmd article seems to support that claim. So though we might be against Marijuana, the facts shouldn't be distorted because it's this misinformation that tends to make addicts distrust anyone who might be interested in helping them.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer
    People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, new research suggests.

While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users. Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers.
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Unfortunately you might not be able to find a straight answer. If a study comes out that says one thing shortly afterwords another will come out to disprove it. Medical marijuana shouldn't be smoked so any benefits associated to it, if consumed in the proper manner, shouldn't be taken into account.