An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there a thing called second-hand Meth?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by SunnySkies, May 14, 2015.

1. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I was curious if there's a case similar to second-hand smoke inhalation but for meth. If so, I assume the effects would be diminished but in the long run, as dangerous as taking meth directly.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've never heard of such a thing before and when the vapor is exhaled, I don't see it traveling around the room like cigarette smoke. If two people were french kissing while one exhales, I think that's intentional sharing.
  3. SunnySkies

I was just curious as I heard passing references to it while in public. It definitely (thankfully) doesn't travel around the room like cigarette smoke. Perhaps it's one of the new varieties going around which has a greater vapor content?
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't know if (crystal) meth(amphetamine) can be smoked directly in such a way, although I would think so. I think that's why the crystal version of the drug is produced. Standard amphetamine (Speed) can not be smoked in such a way as far as I am aware though, it can only vapourized. In the UK, if you want to smoke Speed then the only way is to vapourize it.
  5. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

When it comes to second-hand smoke of any kind it is almost impossible for the other person in the room to ingest active levels of the substance. Unless it is being smoke in a very small area, such as a car.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Who try to smoke drugs that are not meant to be smoked are just experiment with different way to get high when tolerance to such a drug is developed.

Rather than a direct intake, people may try smoking, snorting, injecting, introduce it via rectum and whatever other unimaginable way to use it in order to achieve the same or more potent results.

Never heart of smoking meth, but don't think this or any other smoke made out of synthetic drugs can be as harmful as the chemicals found in tobacco, hence not the same second-hand outcome.
  7. SunnySkies

Ah, thank you for all the clarifications and information people. It's very likely the "second-hand" meth comes from synthetic (potentially more dangerous) or alternative forms of the drug.
  8. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Haha! French kiss! That puts it into perspective. What you are basically saying is that one takes some meth, throws it out and someone else takes that "second hand" meth. Great analogy!
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

That's honestly what I was thinking because I had not ever heard of second hand meth smoke.
  10. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

I don't think this exists. Of course the gases that are a byproduct of the making of meth can harm you, but if you are just using it; there is no way it could harm you.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I don't think this happens from using meth, burning does happen from living in a house where meth is made. I have heard of small children being rescued from a meth house and their little teeth are totally rotten. I have never researched what happens to these children in the long run but I doubt they have much chance at having any good teeth in their life, I have wondered if their bones are ruined for life as well.
  12. Here in the U.S. it is common to smoke meth, and people who smoke it have a certain, oily smell in their clothes, also, they tarnish silver jewelry within a day to the point where it turns black, just from having it on their skin. Secondhand meth seems legit, here, and I would be careful not to let a meth addict touch your babies. Meth smoke does seep into clothes, also.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting question.
    I would first question the side effects of just being around people smoking meth...
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I don't know what to say. But I don't think this is such a thing. I've never heard anyone using this term, let alone practicing it.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can happen if the person is close to the other person then it can happen, and sometimes children get affected from meth being smoked in the house. I think it is important that the other person does not stay in the room where meth is smoked,as they may get addicted to it or inhale it and the lungs will be affected. Second hand meth can occur sometimes and at other times it can, not affect any people at all which can be interesting.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My brother-in-law was making meth in this double wide trailer. He stopped doing that years before he died. I have always wondered about the people now living there, and if that could affect them. I mean there was no supplies or materials left for it in trailer. I just wonder if it's in the walls or carpet.
  17. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

That is a very good question. Nice thought. I once read that person who is around someone smoking a cigarette is harmed as much as the person smoking it. Probably the same case with meth.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

It just blows my mind what people will do to get high. I think it's more sad then anything when a person is that messed up that they would willing put toxins in their bodies as well as cause harm to others especially kids in the process.
  19. Mistydawn

Mistydawn Member

Meth smoke does travel and stays in the air a couple of days I know first hand ,my husband smokes it I can be 2rooms away and feel a sickening effect ,upset stomach ,headache,and can taste it in my mouth , I had to remove rest room door to stop him from using it in the apt.
  20. pierreget

pierreget Member

Thank you so much for saying that. I'm feeling sick cause of neighbours smoking meth and my friends are thinking, I'm mad...
    deanokat likes this.