An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there a way to prevent addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Zyni, Dec 5, 2014.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Tremmie, Nice to know that homeopathy has been working for you. Is it affordable for the average Joe? what kind of medicine are you taking? I think homeopathy is aimed at making you take medicine in large amounts, right?
  2. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

There are some situations where the only solution to chronic pain is prescription medications. The worst case I had ever seen was a man whose spinal cord was splintering. He had to take crazy amounts of pain meds just to be able to function. He was still in pain, though. He became physically dependent, but he never became addicted. Possibly because he didn't get "high" off of it. It was the only way he could make it day to day, though. And there was no chance of curing the pain, either.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there! Well, so far I've been on it for a couple of weeks, but I can definitely feel is working... so slowly but is working. Right now I'm taking 3 different kinds of homeopathic remedies: Lachesis, conium M and Palladium. They are herb based, I take them in pill form, they are tiny pills, they have a nice taste. Thing is you need to take the medication at the times you are told... quite often. I take most of them before and after my meals, one of them must be taken 3 times a day... fixed times. Homeopathic medications are not so expensive, way cheaper than your average meds. Acupuncture is also great, my mom couldn't get pregnant until she tried acupuncture, so it's great for PCOS.
  4. LilAnn

I've wondered about acupuncture. I've never tried it. And I have heard a lot of success stories. But I have a hard time figuring out exactly how it works. I understand the idea of pressure points. But sticking a needle into those points is what I don't get.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Tremmie, Nice to know that it's working quite well with you. I read mixed opinions about homeopathy, so I think I will now be open to undergoing such treatment when I get sick in the future. I hope there's a homeopathic doctor here in our country.
  6. Tremmie

It also depends on the nature of your disease :) In my case I had no choice but to try homeopathy, because I can't treat PCOS with hormones anymore. That is because I have a brain tumor and it's highly sensitive to estrogen. If I take the usual pills most doctors give PCOS sufferers, the tumor will surely grow bigger. Homeopathy works slowly, but surely depending on the homeopathic doctor you choose :) It's great to manage chronic diseases.
    serenity likes this.
  7. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is a good question because in pain its easy to become addicted to pain killers. My daughter suffers with migraines and the need for using pain killers is frequently. I recently shared with her that I feel she should be very careful. The only way I see that a person can avoid becoming addicted is to deal with the pain some.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

I think someone suffering from chronic pain is suppose to be very carefully monitored by doctors when it comes to pain killers. They are also suppose to be in physical therapy, so that they can learn other ways to deal with the pain and reduce the medication. They are suppose to be in a very set program to avoid addiction. I also think learning mindfulness and meditation suppose to be very helpful.
  9. Tremmie

Yeah, me either. I'm not fond of sticking needles thru my skin either, now they have come up with electro acupuncture D: I heard it's very good for PCOS, sadly my doctor didn't think the same :( Apparently even cats and dogs can get that done (no idea how they manage to keep them from moving):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. LilAnn

No, no, no! 98% of the appeal to acupuncture is that it is so old and mysterious. Combining it with any kind of technology just makes it no more interesting than any other medical procedure.

My cat and dogs would never sit still for anything like that. However tried it is going to end up walking away with a huge frown!
  11. Tremmie

To be honest I think it looks awful D: It looks even more scary than the old-fashioned acupuncture. I tried acupuncture a couple times when I was younger, I didn't feel too comfortable with that acupuncturist, so after one session I was done. I think finding the right acupuncturist is key. I might give this another try later on! You know? My face is cleared now :O It's been just 3 weeks since I first started my homeopathic treatment and it does seem to be working! Alternative medicine is not bad at all! I am impressed!
  12. LilAnn

what type of homeopathic treatment are you getting? Medicine or meditation, or what?
  13. Tremmie

You know, the usual stuff. Taking homeopathic remedies in shape of tiny pills that smell and taste a lot like alcohol. I have noticed changes in my skin (getting few pimples), which is good because I was starting to look like a teen before the treatment. So I am guessing this is indeed working :D But no changes in my weight :(
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is a topic to talk to your family doctor or your medical team about.
    I brought up my addictive potential when I had surgery, so they were very mindful about dosages and which types of medication to give me.
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Talk to your doctor about it. Make sure that your doctor is aware of this situation. Ask for some alternatives to pain pills.
  16. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I assume that prolonged use of opiates (whichever ones, however many different kinds used in conjunction) always leads to addiction. The idea is to not get purposely high on them so as to help prevent mental addiction, as well as slowly wean off when the time comes to quit so as to prevent physical withdrawal.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

This is honestly one of the best ways to go about this. Follow this advice.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  18. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

You know your own body more than anyone else. If you feel yourself getting hooked and experienced withdrawal symptoms, start to wean your dosage a little bit. There's no magic number or magic word, it's just a matter of you knowing yourself and your own limitations/habits.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

You can somehow prevent addiction if you know the consequences of using a substance beforehand. For example, if you drink a beer from time to time with your friends it doesn't make you an alcoholic, but if you start drinking beer regularly after then it may as well be start of a new addiction. Being prepared is the best way of preventing an addiction.
  20. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Indeed. I haven't been formally treated for addiction, but I've struggled with various substances in my lifetime. I think I have an "addictive personality," or w/e the popular term for such things is now, so I tend to be overly cautious. I really just don't like taking medicine, unless I absolutely have to. My doctor is aware of my concerns and is very understanding.