An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there an effective way to get someone to quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by imperivm1, Mar 9, 2015.

1. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I am really worried about a close friend of mine. She didn't use to smoke that often but lately I've been noticing she finishes her pack in a day. I'm afraid things are going to deteriorate fast at that pace. How can I make her quit? I genuinely care about her and I don't want to see her lungs collapse before she turns 40.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get someone to quit smoking, and I say this first hand being a former smoker. The more you bring it up to her, the more she will probably get annoyed, even though you are just trying to be a good friend and help her. One of the reasons she will probably get upset is because she realizes that smoking is not good for her.

The only way you can help is to encourage her if she does decide to quit. It has to be her choice though or she will not succeed.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with @Rosyrain . You cannot make anyone do anything. I understand the frustration. I have a dear friend who has a lot of health problems and still smokes. All I can do is pray for her and be her friend. Hopefully, one day, she will want to quit and then I can be there to support her every step of the way.
  4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

There are lots of different ways to stop smoking and they vary in effectiveness. Hypnotherapy, nicotine patches or gum, e-cigs, keeping slender objects to hold and put in your mouth like carrots to wean yourself off of the mannerisms, and so on. If your friend has the willpower, make her quit cold turkey and support her through the process.
  5. My dad started the process of quitting by getting one of those ecigs. He would get the juice that had a large amount of nicotine, and then slowly bump down the nicotine content every so often. I hear having gum or carrots around helps because of the oral fixation that develops from a smoking habit.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Truth be told, it is difficult to make a chain smoker quit the habit because they've already dug themselves too deep. Perhaps a simple plea to your friend would make her snap out of it. You have to confront her and tell her what you feel. Although you can leave the decision-making to her, just let her know that you feel seriously bad seeing her that way. There's no point trying to sugarcoat your concern. A real friend would be honest, no matter the circumstances.
  7. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

Like the others have said, you can't make people do anything, they have to want to do it for themselves. In the case of quitting smoking, they have to REALLY want it, as nicotine is one of the most addictive and most difficult things to quit. As a friend, sharing your concerns is really all you can do at this point, and if they do decide to quit, be supportive of them too.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Smoking is a bizarre habit, in the right circumstances I've been able to quit almost cold turkey and stay that way for months or years. Yet there were other times, where I was living by myself and totally craving smokes really bad whenever I would run out of them, but I couldn't get out to go to the store to get more. It got so bad, I would sometimes pull half smoked cigarettes out of my ash tray or garbage bin near my desk and smoke those.

If she spends a lot of time in environments where she is allowed to smoke, and constantly around that lingering aroma all day, it can really be tough to not think about it. For example, when I worked from home, I chain smoked all day long. Similarly, when I worked in an office for a small business I ran with a few other people, and most of us were smokers, we smoked in the offices all day long.

Perhaps if she spent more time with you at events and places where smoking was not permitted, it might help take her mind off of it.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

When people badger me about quitting I'll often go for a smoke. This is due to anger and stress and people who don't know what it's like telling me all about how I should handle the situation. Your best bet would be not to say anything I would wager.
  10. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Smoking indeed is very addictive once you get hooked. Different people smoke for different reasons. Others use it as a result of peer pressure or curiosity and others to relieve stress. Anyway there's lots of remedies to distance yourself from smoking however in the end it all comes down on the eagerness of a person to be clean and sober.
  11. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I don't think that showing her facts about smoking or the dangers of smoking will help, because the realization that smoking is potentially harmful to her is not enough to get her to stop.

I think the only thing you can do for her is to sit her down and express your thoughts on her smoking habits in a very respectful and understanding way. If she expresses disinterest in your opinions, then respectfully stop the conversation and move onto something else. Everyone has their vices and unfortunately only some people overcome them.

Also, try listening to the song called Nikki by Logic. It talks about cigarette addiction.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

First things first. She needs to want to quit first. I did have friends that were addicted to nicotine. It wasn't necessarily smoking. To curve their smoking the started with the nicotine gum and slowly but surely got off of cigarettes with the combination of the gum and patch.
  13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Nicotine is very addictive and most people find it impossible to quit cold turkey. My father used to smoke and he had an awful time quitting. Took him years and years but he finally did it. Unfortunately he still dips but thats much preferable to smoking a pack a day as he was. Your friend is going to have a lot of willpower to quit.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree with Rosyrain, you can't force someone to stop their bad habits. The change must come from them, and if they will not take the initiative, then nothing will happen. I guess the only thing that you can do is show your concern, but don't impose anything on her.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

If the willing of quitting doesn't come by herself, then it's kind of futile to even think about the possibility of listening to other advice.
    What I mean, is that smokers are already aware of the risks they expose themselves at, and supplimentary advice won't help whatsoever. Smokers needn't seek professional help from others, but themselves. Else, they will fail. It's quite straightforward.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As others have said, I think the decision to quit smoking needs to be a personal one.

If you push too hard, it's likely your friend will get frustrated, and perhaps even rebel and smoke more than they are currently. When I quit it was because I had gotten out of a bad relationship and I wanted to start afresh - in more ways than one - so I stopped. It was a personal decision without any external input. All you can really do is try to encourage your friend if they mention quitting, in my opinion.
  17. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

She has to want to. Even if she knows she should quit and wants to quit, she has to want it that badly for herself. Sorry to say but you will not be able to make her quit. You can voice your concerns and show her all the information all that you want, and yes it is great to be supportive, but that is a deeply personal and difficult decision that she must make for herself. If you want to be supportive you can try to find different methods of quitting and tell her you will be there as a support system, but do not be hurt if she does not quit. It's great that you care though. We all need more friends like you.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The sad thing is, is that there isn't really a way for you to make her stop. Telling them or trying to make them stop might even make them smoke more.

People don't like being told what to do so you might be able to ask them to stop or reason with them, at the end of the day it's got to be their own decision.
  19. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Besides gun point, there is no sure fire way of getting her to quit instantly. She has to make the conscious decision to quit on her own. The way to go about it is not a easy one. Some people are stubborn and won't listen to anyone. If you talked to her already and she still hasn't listened I don't know what else you can do. I hope her family can get her to realize it before it gets worse.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Make her realize what could happen to her if she will not stop smoking. Although you cannot force her if she really do not want to quit. She needs to realize it and help herself to totally quit smoking for her own good.