An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there any way to use my parents plan without them knowing

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by TrixR4Kidz, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TrixR4Kidz

TrixR4Kidz Member

Does anyone know if I can go to rehab under my parents insurance without them finding out about it? I need help but dont want to tell them.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You could try that, but chances are pretty darn high that they're going to find out one way or another, through the insurance company or somehow else. In reality, you should tell your parents about your issues and then seek help rather than trying to go into rehab behind their backs. You'll find it much harder to deal with the whole process without the support of your parents.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

And why on earth would you want to do that? That's a sure way to expose your rehab activities to your parents. If you don't want to tell them, then why would you want to go to rehab? In the first place, you're going to rehab because you need help. Not telling your parents runs contrary to your intentions. Why begrudge the people responsible for your existence the chance to support you? You need all the help you can get, so you might as well let go of your pride.
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't think you should do that like xtinx says, if you want to get clean, get clean for real and open up with your parents, honesty is the first step.
  5. Muraki

Muraki Member

This may sound a little harsh but just tell them the truth.

Very often the parents react in such situations much better than expected since it is a really serious situation. Even with strict or problematic parents it is not rear to see a calm approach to this in order to help their child when it needs it the most. Just thrust them a bit more and take your punishment whatever it may be, with that you will be one step closer to be a responsible and reliable adult.

Hope it helped.
  6. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

I do not think it is right to go to rehab without letting your parents know about it. They will come to know about it eventually and one fine day they will take it. It is always better if they come to know about it from you rather than anyone else. You require all the support you can get and hence you must gather up the courage to talk to your parents.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey TrixR4Kidz,
    Welcome!

First: I don't work for an insurance company, but I am pretty sure if you're under your parents policy they will find out eventually. It might not be while you're in treatment, but they should get something in the mail whether they owe a balance or every penny of your stay was covered.

Second: I'm not going to lecture you for asking this question or even give you my opinion before I understand WHY you hope you can avoid telling your parents.

...What's goin' on?
  8. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I agree with the previous posts, I don't think you can use your parents' plan without them knowing about it. Don't be afraid to tell them the truth -- remember parents are still parents, they might be upset at first and that's a normal reaction, but they'll be the one to help you out eventually.
  9. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Hey, bud. I don't think there's a way to pull that off, unfortunately.

Have you tried free options near you? I'm not sure about them but it's worth a try.

I understand that trying to seek help is very difficult, and it would be made exponentially more difficult if your family finds out. I really don't want you not being ready to tell your parents hinder your prior choice to go into rehab.

Good luck! I wish you all the best.
    Joseph likes this.
  10. TrixR4Kidz

TrixR4Kidz Member

The reason I don't want to tell them is because my father is abusive. Toward me, my brother and mom. If I can't do it without him finding out how can I find a free place?
  11. TrixR4Kidz

TrixR4Kidz Member

Just like google free rehab?
  12. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I'm so sorry to hear that, TrixR4Kidz.
    Use this Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator (check the "payment assistance" box when you search).
    Also, as I'm sure you're aware - a home with domestic violence is not a safe, nurturing environment. Do you live there now? Write down this number and keep it in your wallet. 1-800-799-7233. It's the National Domestic Violence hotline.
    Joseph likes this.
  13. Honestly i think it would be better off if you came clean to your parents, they can help you get through this. I know its hard to admit things to them and it may feel like the last thing you want to do however in the long run it will be much easier for you. Doing it alone is tough pal
  14. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Hello again. Would you be comfortable in sharing where you live? Even the country would help. Maybe someone from there would be able to offer some specific assistance, as I can only speak for my own country.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Have you considered telling your Mom, but not your Dad?
    Joseph likes this.
  15. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I would usually not want to walk in that path of not telling my parents. If its your parents plan that they are paying for then they might find out later that something might be missing.
  16. Brem

Brem Member

Your parents would find out at some point and time anyways. The fact of the matter is this, if you happen to be under the age of 18, they will be required by law to tell your parents, or so I figure that would be the case. And if you use their insurance, they will find out at some point as well.

You could maybe request going to rehab and asking that you don't want to see your parents during a certain time frame. I'm not sure if this is something that can be done, but if your parents enable your addictions or cause you emotional distress, you might be able to go to rehab with your parents not bothering you, but they will still have to know you're in there.

That's how I see it working though, but I could be wrong.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is important for them to know what you are going through and they will understand and feel good that you have let them in. You do need a support system when you come out, so why not let it be them.
  18. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I agree, parents need to know what you're going through, they brought you to the world and they love you more than anything, they want to help for sure.
  19. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

If your father is abusive, it's time to get some help to stop that. I know that it can be scary and a very hard process to go about, but it needs to happen before someone gets even more seriously hurt. I've been through the process with abusive parents (mine, and others) and can talk you through the process if you need support. It's my opinion that solving the rehab problem is never going to happen without solving the source of the problem, which I dare say is the overall abuse. Since these are connected, let's deal with both of them at once, and try and return your family to a healthy state. Feel free to message me in private if you would like to talk.

This is not a shameless plug, and I won't leave a link, but in my book, Child Abuse: The Ripple Effect, I talk about using drugs as a way to deal with abuse, and how not eliminating both issues is only setting yourself up for failure. I'm here if you need a shoulder to lean on. Sincerely.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  20. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Being in an abusive home is not pleasant and it can be a big part of your problem. Ask your mom to send you there or if you have another family member, an Uncle or Aunt, perhaps you could ask them for help. It is a part of your problem but once you are in rehab, everything will get better. Finding the source of your pain is part of the process into getting better. For now get to rehab.
    Joseph likes this.