An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is there such thing as a "hopeless" addict?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Mackmax, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Many people argue that everyone can fight and beat their addiction, and that you should never give up on an addict. However, after watching some YouTube videos on drug addicts, I've seen some people who seem to have reached the point of of return. They simply aren't there anymore, and can't even think straight, and sometimes don't even seen human-like with their behaviors. I saw one woman who acted extremely similar to the possessed girl in The Exorcist.
    Are there some addicts that simply cannot and never will recover?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If there are, it's usually because they made a choice. By the time they wanted to turn their lives around, they already reached a point where their physical vessel couldn't recover anymore. Even if their hearts and minds were willing to change, their bodies were already damaged beyond redemption.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Like xTinx says, I don't think there is such a thing as "too far gone"... Otherwise, that would be accepting that these people are just wastes of life hurting others, rather than still humans who could find one day a better way, really. But of course, as long as the addicts choose to live the way they do without regrets, they will feel out of reach. I'm a hopeless dreamer, though. I don't think it can be proven in any case for any criminals that any of them are hopeless.
  4. Michelle

Michelle Member

The myth that there is no recovery for some addicts is the most harmful myth I know of. And unfortunately we hear it all the time in all different forms.

I have never met an alcoholic or addict who was a hopeless case -- while most are indeed hopeless -- and I have seen some of the most hardcore addicts achieve long-term sobriety. I include in that statement drooling crack addicts, 40-year alcoholics, and institutionalized heroin addicts.

I am told that I was hardcore, though I know many who are harder core. And I know this: Every single time I tell my story, I have women come up to me and say some variation of this: "If you can do it, I sure can."

After everyone else has given up on an addict, that is frequently the time that they decide to get clean for themselves.