An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is this a slippery slope toward alcoholism?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jane, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I've had several talks with a friend over the last few weeks and I'm starting to get concerned. I haven't seen any physical or outward signs on my own, so this is just from what she's been talking about casually.

She keeps mentioning how she takes a couple shots throughout her work day to cope with her boss. Sometimes it's a little more than that, but never to the point of getting drunk while working. She's just carrying a buzz to keep her cool, from the sounds of it. She already knows she needs to get out of the job and has been job hunting for many months, so I can't really advise anything beyond that.

She seems to be drinking pretty much every day, though. Is this any different than having a glass of wine after a long day at work, so long as she's not getting wasted or doing horrible things? Or is this more serious and I should be concerned?
  2. randomrules

randomrules Member

It is definitely the potential start of something.

It is different from having a glass of wine after work, because she is in work. The fact she doesn't get drunk or do horrible things doesn't mitigate this fact. She is using alcohol to cope with a difficult situation. Fine, I am guilty of that myself. The danger comes when alcohol is your go to for any of life difficulties. The fact that she is using it in this case suggest she doesn't have another strategy to use.

She might be functional, and might remain that way (heaven knows there are plenty of alcoholics who hold down a job, family, etc), but if she is drinking throughout the day, everyday, she is potentially asking for trouble.
  3. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

This is something to watch for. Never let someone be indulged with alcohol and see that as an "outlet" when they have a problem. You can always call them out without hurting their feelings. Open rebuke with love is key.
  4. purplepapaya

purplepapaya Member

Having a glass of wine after work to me is different because it's after work. The fact that she is drinking at work is concerning to me, because it shows a beginning of lack of control with the alcohol, if that makes sense. Now she's using alcohol to cope with work, but it could be a slippery slope into using alcohol to cope with everything in her life. Maybe it's time that you, as her friend, have a serious but loving conversation with her.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Maybe it's just a way of her coping mechanism. You have mentioned that she's having problems with her boss, right? It's just probably a habit of her to relieve the stress she has gotten while working with her boss. It's just normal, I think. But you have to encourage her that if she's not happy with her job anymore or with how her boss is treating her, then I guess it's much better to leave that crappy job and look for a new one.
  6. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

This depends on why she is drinking. If she's drinking to relieve stress, then yes it is possible it will lead to alcoholism. Most alcoholics become this way because they're trying to cope with something. If someone starts drinking or doing drugs to cope, it is more than likely that they will continue to drink to cover more hardships in life. I would talk to my friend and let her know that I'm worried about her and I love her. That is really all you can do.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Yes.
    I've seen people abuse alcohol to cope with relationships, jobs, you name it.
    As time goes by, if the situation that is causing the person to drink isn't resolved, more and more alcohol will be necessary to get through the day.
    Eventually the person will spiral out of control, and become non-functional.

No one ever admits to what they're doing.
    I'm not saying that your friend will 100% become an alcoholic. But I'd say you are right to worry about her.

Hope everything works out.
    It's a very good sign that she realizes she has to get out of that job.
  8. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

It looks like a slippery slope to me. There are a lot of stories of people who start drinking alcohol to cope with something so her case extremely common. The thing is, she probably can control it right now because her body still feel that one shot is enough. I think in the future her daily intake will increase as her body get used to it. Then, the addiction will kick in. A lot of alcohol drinkers that I know feel that they can control their urge and feel that they are not alcoholics, even if it is obvious to us that they are alcoholics.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not yet serious from the looks of it but she's slowly and surely heading toward a self-destructive path. I understand it if people drink just to have fun. This type of behavior wouldn't suffer a lot of setbacks. However, the moment they start drinking to cope up with problems at work, at home or wherever, you know for a fact they're not going to get out of this temporary escape in one piece. Drinking to relax and drinking to escape are two different things and your friend is obviously doing the latter. Let her know she should face this head on. She might get the habit and carry it with her to her next job.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It sounds like she is really stressed in her current work and being that stressed on a regular basis is not good even she is not drinking alcohol. Better for her to really find a new job or start to like her job to lessen the feeling of being burdened by her work.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Having a drink at the end of a working day is dine I think, I'd even say its the normal thing to do but if your having to have a drink during the day, just to get you through then there's definitely something wrong and could be the start of a problem.

While somebody is actually doing something and living it day by day they might not see that its an issue, its only when they take a step back or when somebody says something to them that they realise.
  12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

The issue here is her need for the alcohol in order to keep level. That's the danger. It's a necessity. She's also self-medicating & when we self-medicate we tend to compensate for the tolerance we build by drinking more. Drinking daily is not necessarily a sign of alcoholism but the reasons behind daily drinking & the amount one drinks per day are blaring alarm bells.