An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by CpXi7z1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

I know I have an addictive personality. Over the years I've struggled with comfort eating, tv addiction, and computer addiction. The tv and computer addiction were probably a way to zone out all the stress and yelling around me. In the last few years the stress has made me want to start drinking. I've never drank and believe if I started I'd never stop. Has anyone else who's come from a family of addiction ever longed for something that could become an addiction? Is that even normal?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. Things often get better eventually, though. I'd say it's pretty normal to want to drink when things get a little unbearable. Everyone knows that alcohol consumption can turn into alcoholism, but they've also heard that alcohol helps "take the edge off" and helps people feel better. You should try your best to avoid alcohol, since you know you have an addictive personality.
  3. Ruskoll

Ruskoll Member

The fact that you said that you have an addicted personality means that you will want the things that will get you addicted, that is just how your brain works. I also have an addictive personality but only with very specific things (mainly money).

What you need to start looking at is not necessarily the addition / possible addition, but the thing that is making you think about it more. With you it sounds like the stress. If you deal with the issues causing you stress then your addictions or need for them should also decrease. There shouldn't be anything stressing you in life, if there is then it is something that is not working and needs to change.
    MrsJones likes this.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think it's normal to crave for something that could possibly lead to its addiction.It requires great mental strength and resolve to overcome those temptations.I can only urge you to focus on what you know is good for you and block out any negative thoughts.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well coming from a family with yelling and screaming. Dysfunctional families and environments are not the easiest to grow up in or be around. Addiction can be a learned thing and the tendency towards it. That was always my joke to myself that I aspired to be an alcoholic but I was never good at it. I wished I could be in an oblivion all the time like some people do. Escaping things so easily. Certain theory would say that it is not normal to be this way. A kink in the mind or the will brought on by the environment. One doesn't know or want anything better. Is that it? The majority of things that people become addicted to are laced with addictive chemicals. Get a taste of them and you will crave it. This is the whole idea. Today there is much more that comes into play with addiction than mere desire or craving. Half the battle is being aware that it is all a game to get you to indulge in something that will slowly ruin you. Its true you have to be strong. My favorite quote recently is "commitment is muscle, exercise it."
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I can totally understand you. I have experienced similar stages in my life, growing up with alcoholic parents. When I started dealing with my alcohol and nicotine addictions, I couldn't help but try and find some kind of "replacement" to fill the "holes" that it left inside me. So, for a while I ate too much, talked too much, exercised too much. I got obsessive in several different ways. For me, the way out was to engage myself with nature. I started gardening and growing things. I needed contact with the earth, literally, to get me out of my heavy and unhealthy mental states. Working with nature began centering me again.
  7. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Yes it seems that stress is causing these addictions. I think they would be much less of an issue if you eliminate the stress in your life (in this case the yelling around you). You may also have an addictive personality which makes it that much worse but that can be handled by simply recognizing that you have it (which you clearly have) and being vigilant of different vices. If you feel that alcohol could be something you are likely to get addicted to then stay away from it. Eliminate the stress causing you to seek these other routes.
  8. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

My parents fought a lot when I was younger. TV was a huge out let for me and just going outside and playing basketball with my brother. Even the best parents don't understand how their quarreling can sometimes affect kids short term and even long term. When I do become a parent I will make it a point to make sure my child is not around if and when I have an argument with my wife. It is not healthy for them. They may read things the wrong way also.
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I understand what you mean. I guess no one's really spared from other forms of addiction even when they don't dabble with alcohol and substances. I may have successfully shunned the use of drugs, but I cannot ever thwart my reading and TV-watching addiction. It's been years but I'm still in the habit of forgoing sleep especially when I'm bent on finishing a novel or a show. Stories are my escape, so I get hooked reading and watching stories written and created by other people. However, I credit my own brand of addiction to an in-born quirk in my nature and not necessarily to a history of addiction within my family.
  10. kima

kima Member

It's only human to want what you can't or shouldn't have. The people in my family are addicted to technology, the internet, and television. They will tune out everyone else and just focus on that for an entire day. You could say I have an internet addiction. Whenever I'm stressed, I will spend more time on the internet and I'll just use it as a way to escape my problems. I try not to do this so much and focus on priorities, but most of the time, I have poor self control. I have been working to improve my self discipline since it's a good way to curb an addiction.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think I have a similar mindset to yours and it's why I try and keep conscious at all times of what it is I'm taking in and which actions are becoming habits so I can nip bad ones at the bud. My family doesn't have a history with addiction but they have some habits they cannot let go of and I have also adopted such behavior over the years but since I have them to look at as examples I can be more aware of it and possibly fight it off more effectively.
  12. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I also have a similar personality, and I can relate to what you are saying. Computer addiction has been a part of my life since years, because it helps me avoid all the negativity in my life.
  13. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that it's pretty normal. I think that if you're around something, and people close to you (like your family) partake in certain things then it'll influence you in one way or another. Despite all of that, I think that you are your own person and you have to make your own choice. Being the black sheep of my family and most people around me, I know that it's hard to go left when everyone else is going right, but sometimes all it takes is seeing what you DON'T want to be that'll help you figure out the person you want to be.
  14. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

I feel where you're coming from. While the alcohol may be tempting, if you already struggle with non-substance addiction, you should probably avoid anything that's actually addicting.

But, no, it's not crazy.
  15. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

Ugh I really feel you! I know that I too, have an addictive personality and can get so hooked on things. What has helped me is becoming addicted to things that are good for me, like running and yoga. These activities give me such peace of mind. I know you've heard about this before but physical activity does wonders.
  16. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I've read about yoga being a good way of getting rid of your addiction.
    It helps you to remain calm, which is quite good, since inner chaos is one of the main reasons of addiction.
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, not crazy at all. Why is your life so noisy and stressful though? What would make your life more bearable? If you are able to address these things, then you may find it a little easier to cope.
  18. juno

juno Community Champion

If you come from a family of addiction, it is very normal and based on what you have mentioned, I would stay away from alcohol. If you do have an addictive personality, then you probably could easily get addicted to alcohol.

I have never thought about it as an addictive personality, but I can relate to TV and computers to zone out or go into another world. I have to say that with computers, I think it gives me the ability to be addicted to work as well.
  19. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I think its very normal. I think people learn and gain a lot of their habits from home. Watching their family members do certain things becomes whats normal for that family so by you seeing family members with an addiction it could definitely be passed along to you psychologically.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be easy to fall to addiction like the internet or something which diverts the mind, to something which get's you busy as well and interesting how a person may view it normal. Sometimes it can be from a broken family or realtionships which can make a person turn to these sort of things and can be hard to say what a person should do sometimes. The mind may think it is normal and also, we should do it too and there is nothing wrong as people are not suffering and we can fall prey to this very easily.