An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by CpXi7z1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

If you already know that you have an addictive personality then I would recommend staying away from alcohol. Becoming addicted to that is not what you need in you life. Try to alleviate the stress in your life if at all possible and talk to others who can help you stay away from anything that you think you will be addicted to. Easier said than done, I know, but if you are aware of what you will be addicted to helps you to stay away from things like that. Good luck and I hope you find a way to reduce the stress levels in your life.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... To be honest, I've never had that thought. I think it's because you have an addictive personality that you feel that way though. And with your record of being addicted to tv and computer, it's best to stay away from alcohol. Like you said, the stress has been bugging you. Maybe you could find a way to live away from them or even just rent an apartment of your own. After all, if we remove the root problem, the addictions might be easier to stop. Good luck though and I hope you can resolve this issue of yours!
  3. Min

Min Active Contributor

I absolutely know what you mean. I often use the internet or the TV to avoid dealing with something, and it feels like I'm just substituting one addictive behavior for another. It's like I need the distraction, and so whatever can take my mind away from the problem is what I'll use. There are some things in this life that I know I will never do, but I have to admit - like you I've had thoughts about "what if? what if I just lost myself in this one thing?" It's tempting, but there are things I just stay away from. Still, I understand your "longing" for something that could become an addiction.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really think somethings are meant to be addictive. There are some video games that are really addictive, and people can't stop playing them. Television can be very addictive also, so there's no surprise that this could happen. The idea is to try and keep everything in moderation.