New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is this normal when you cut back on smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by riptroggave, Jun 18, 2015.

1. riptroggave

riptroggave Member

im almost 22 years old, i have been smoking cigarettes since i was 13 every single day, i have quit for a year though, i usually smoked 15- a pack a day, since tuesday i have cut back to 5 cigarettes a day, cause i want to fully quit, but ever since i cut back i have been very angry,depressed, my anxiety is sky rocket high now,i get headaches, i get really tired, i never take naps but i have been sleeping more then usual, i always feel the need to eat more then i already did, i get shakey.... thats about it, is this normal for smokers who are cutting back, i haven't fully quit yet but i hope i do cause its very very bad 4 me yes i know : ( and what are steps to help me quit, i can't afford the nicotine game so thats not an option...but the thing that is bothering me the most is my anger and anxiety.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Yes this is all withdrawl symptoms...You have cut way back really fast...that is worth saying CONGRATS thus far, keep up the good work. Everything you have described, are things another of my friends that went through this said they dealt with. I do know, I have heard (and this is odd I know, but supposedly true)...bananas help out some to curb a nicotene craving...I have never smoked, however, I have been around closely to several people in my life that have...Its not easy, its an addiction...You didn't start yesterday, so like they say, "You can't build Rome in a day." You can do this though...I heard that if you can tough through the first 2 weeks, it starts slowly getting easier...I hope this has helped you...Take care...and I proudly wish you the best...Keep up the good work
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Yes this is normal because you're depriving your body of the nicotine it's used to getting, so you're having withdrawl type symptoms, they'll be like this when you quit completely too, for a couple weeks and then you're fine. The feeling of needing to eat more is normal too, but your body tricks you into thinking it's hungry, that's why people often gain weight when they quit smoking, so make sure you eat healthy foods, and drink plenty of water it will cut down on the hunger.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

That's all normal as people have already told you in previous answers. You can try replacing therapy, where you find something else to do when you would normally be having your smokes at their regular times. Get as much rest as you can, use a headache tab if you need one. Drink fluids to keep the stuff in the cigs. moving through your system. If you feel agitated evey day start some regular exercise. Prayer never hurt to help a situation wher you need more peace to succeed. :D
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

when i tried to quit like you i had all those same exact problems. i smoked about as much as you did to. what i did was i just started chewing tobacco. i helped out alot. but you cant do what i did and take alot but all i did was trade one addiction for the other. now i chew a can a day which is worse than a pack of smokes. but just take a little to supplement your ciggs
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Sounds like nicotine withdrawal.
    Know that it WILL go away! You will feel normal again soon (well you will feel better than normal!)
    You can try nicotine replacement options if the symptoms are too much for you, whatever you do don't smoke! Or you will have to start all over again.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

It sure is. You ever seen a heroine addict? Shaking... wanting to kill someone if they didnt get what they wanted.
    Dont give in... it will subside when you fully stop. So its easier if you stop quicker rather than later. Keep it up =)
  8. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Irritability and increased food craving was normal when I started cutting back. All of your symptoms seems to be the norm. Totalarmordestine is spot on. It should start going away in a few weeks. Hang in there and keep yourself busy. I don't really recommend the nicotine patches or gums. I'm sure the symptoms will not last. It took a week for it to subside for me.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It looks like your body is already starting with the detoxifying process. I'm sure you must have heard the term of someone being "liverish", meaning that someone is angry, hot-tempered, up and down, and cranky in general. These kind of symptoms tend to appear when the liver is throwing out a lot of toxins. It will take a few days, weeks, and in some cases, months, before you are rid of the poisons that have been accumulating in your body. But I can guarantee you that it will be worth it, and that you'll start feeling very different after a while. The first thing you'll notice is an increased energy and appetite.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well done, cutting back like that can´t be easy, so kudos to you! And yes, what you are experiencing is totally normal, I actually know someone who started eating more when she quit. That is because nicotine supresses hunger, why you think ballet dancers are know for smoking? Is not a myth, most of them do smoke a lot, I know because I worked at a studio when I was younger... boy do they smoke! Don't worry and keep it up.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Everybody who tries to quit smoking will go throyh the same symptoms. As you have found out for yourself, it takes a lot of willpower to carry on and not give in to temptation again.

I think this is what makes smoking one of the hardest habits to quit. You know that with one cigarette all them cravings and symptoms will be gone.
  12. OhMoreFun

OhMoreFun Member

Thanks for posting this, it's given me a lot of relief tonight. I cut back from 2 packs a day to 1 pack about 2 weeks ago, and I am going through all of this. Makes a lot of sense.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great job on cutting down, @OhMoreFun. I hope you can cut down from 1 pack soon, too. Keep making progress!
  14. OhMoreFun

OhMoreFun Member

I am doing better, pretty sure that I am doing this on top of a vitamin b12 deficiency too though, from being on Prilosec. The Acid Reflux is much better though, with smoking less. I didn't understand anything about detoxing when I started all of this.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@OhMoreFun... Glad to hear you're doing better. Maybe look into taking some vitamin B12 supplements. And drink lots of water. That'll help your body more than you can imagine.