An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is This the Way to Conduct a Sober Living Home?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by MyDigitalpoint, Jul 5, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Many times people has come to ask what a sober living home is, and how life is like when being there.

Well, I guess many people making to themselves these questions will not feel tempted to try a sober living home after reading this article, just published a few days back,
    Video and full article can be found here, http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/07/02/neighbors-upset-about-sober-living-home-in-parker/

So, what are your thoughts on this?
  2. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

They should be held responsible adhering to all the HOA rules just like everyone else! If I was running a sober living house I would be on my clients nonstop about noise and behavior.. Given that this is a business operating in the middle of neighborhood, they should be wanting to toe the line and keep the neighbors happy. I also would be concerned about 30 people in the home. That is a pretty large house and it's got to be difficult to keep tabs on everyone.
    Sounds like they need to make some changes and the HOA needs to get on them.
  3. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I don’t know if I agree with you, I think that people tend to exaggerate. This article never mentions disturbances or accidents or anything that is alarming or truly negative. A lot of noise and people smoking, is that all? Come one, what I believe is that they simply don’t want drug and alcohol recovering addicts any way near them. Sorry if this sounds awful but this is what I think. I don’t blame them though, they probably are afraid or something.

Also, I really doubt there are really 30 people living in one single house. They are paying a lot of money to be there so I’m almost sure they are pretty comfortable. Now let’s suppose it’s a huge house and there are 30 people living in there, why would they need to be going out and annoying the neighbors if they have a house big enough?

The neighbors of Parker should be more sympathetic to the cause.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think that the management of that home should have informed the residents beforehand of their intended plan to set up that home there. It's always prudent to bring the community members on board when it comes to something that will affect them. Running such a home in a residential area will definitely have an effect on the community so the public views must be addressed beforehand their grievances heard.
  5. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

It’s true that maybe they had to let the neighbors know they were planning on having a sober living home, but I don’t really think they were going to agree. They probably would have started complaining even before the facility was open and working. The truth is the sober living home is not affecting their life at all, there are no parties or anything that’s truly annoying.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I used to work in community mental health and neighbors are always upset about group homes and that sort of thing coming into the area. When a sober living house gets "out of hand" so to speak, it is not good for the recovery industry as a whole. People who are running these homes need to be more cognizant of what is happening, and strive to be good neighbors to allay people's fears.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard about this situation before. Unless the people in these homes are causing a disturbance I don't see the problem. In a news interview I saw this neighborhood, peoples houses look pretty far apart. If someone is disturbing the peace that's another issue, but running a sober living home in houses this big shouldn't be a problem. As long as they follow your HOA's rules and have a permit I don't see what the problem is.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

From my standpoint, I think it's a matter of time to get both people in the community understanding the real value of sober living homes and people living into one of them realizing the importance to abide by the rules to gain community acceptance when a sober living home in set in places where the neighbors might fear problems coming along.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

From what I've heard recently. They have already decided to shut down these homes. I saw on the news that who ever was running this home didn't produce the requirements needed to keep them open. So when it comes down to it I guess if you don't have the permits needed it has to stop. If they had permits to keep these homes open and the tenants weren't a disturbance they might have kept it going.
  10. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

That's unfortunate to hear. It's almost as if nothing this good can last that long. If I would've known about Sober Living Homes when I was younger, I would've had an easier transition into sobriety. Maybe when I retire, I could give back and be able to provide this service to those who are in need. God only knows when that day will come.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

People living near sober living homes can be upset by the fact that they are living near addicts, against their wish. They should know that those sober living homes can be of help to their family members in the future. Somebody should educate such communities about the benefits of sober living homes so that they won't only look at their negative side.
  12. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

One of the aims of a sober living home is that residents get to acclimate themselves to living in the community as responsible citizens. Any home that doesn't foster this aspiration doesn't deserve the name. It's sad to hear of things like this.
  13. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

Group of 30 people smoking and carrying on? That is a bit much for a residential neighborhood. The home I stayed in only housed 8 women at a time, and visitors were strictly prohibited unless approved by the director. A lot of the residents were not only recovering but seeking a safe place from user friends or abusive partners, so the location of the home was not to be spread around. It definitely made us all feel safer.