New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is tobacco considered a drug?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by twinworkxwellv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. I'm not sure if tobacco is the drug or if the cigarette is the drug?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Tobacco is NOT a drug. The nicotine in the tobacco is the drug. The tobacco is just the delivery system for the nicotine. You can get nicotine in other ways, like through gum, or the patch.

Nicotine is a stimulant and is fairly harmless. However, smoking tobacco as your delivery system for the nicotine will eventually cause disease and cancer. The nicotine DOES NOT cause the cancer, the smoking does.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

tobacco when in its natural form is still a drug but not as harmful, it is medicinal. The indians used it to cure illnesses. In cuba they still use unadulterated tobacco.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

you cant have a cigarette without tobacco, so both. But, it depends how you use it. Technically, tobacco is the drug.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

it is a drug, the tobacco and the cigarette. a drug is anything that affects your body, tobacco, alcohol, prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, even caffeine
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is not one of those chicken and egg questions. Tabacco or the cigarette per se isn't the drug because it's just the container or vessel. Nicotine is the addictive substance that resides in every stick of tobacco or cigarette. The whole container has psychoactive effects ruinous to the health when abused.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Well it's not good for you , it stinks , ruins your health, so anybody should kick that habit whether they think it's considered a drug or not
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd also have to say that it's the nicotine that is more the drug than the actual tobacco itself. Having said that, theres lots of other chemicals in cigarettes these days, and I'd imagine they're as harmfull as nicotine aswell.
  9. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I don't consider it as a drug. I consider smoking as an unhealthy habbit, that's it.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Using that logic, marijuana isn't a drug either. Like tobacco, it is a plant and surely the cannabinoids present are the drug, not the plant itself.
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I agree with others who have said it is not but it is the main product used by those addicted to nicotine in order to smoke it so... it's not but it's a common deliverer of a drug? LOL Kind of how I see marijuana. The plant is not a drug. Once it is used for smoking in order to get a high from the THC, yeah, then it is. A hemp necklace is not a drug. A joint you are smoking is. So, same for tobacco. I've seen people use tobacco leaves to decorate or garnish a dish but it's not having nicotine added for smoking, so in those cases, it's not. Blurry lines and gray matter ya'll! LOL
  12. Love76

Love76 Member

Cigarettes and Tobacco products are bad for the health, It causes damage to the body, Shortness of breath, coughing, asthma, lung diseases, colds, flus, loss of taste and smell, Yellow rotten teeth, wrinkles, back pain, slow breathing, slow healing wounds, stomach alcers, difficul time to get an errection, Cancer, Stroke and brain damage, and Heart Attacks. Effect bad breath, coughingdizziness, faintness, fast heart rate, headache, stomach cramps, vomiting and numbness in the finger tips and toes.
    Please think about it! Please quit! Please live a healthy life.
    Dominica likes this.
  13. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Love76 hi there. thanks for sharing that. nicotine is quite an addictive drug, and yes, i hope people can stop using it... it's not always easy to quit, but just keep trying. there are different ways to try to quit, so maybe try different things to see what works for you. i quit over 20 years ago and i think all they had was nicotine gum, but that never helped me.

it took me MANY tries to quit, but finally did. i just kept trying and praying... today, you can talk to your dr. about different things to try to quit. there are also many books out there...do your research...and just keep trying!