An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is weed safer than alcohol?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by dragonbvoide, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dragonbvoide

dragonbvoide Member

I got drunk the other day and I felt really sick and dizzy after that. So that made me think that weed is better. But will weed be bad for my body??? Well I know it is bad. But it is better than alcohol. Right??? And I have heard that you won't get a hangover from weed. Is that true?? Please answer these questions!!!
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Some people are just scared freaks who listen to the government too much.
    Of all the drugs legal and illegal weed is by the safest and cheapest (effects based) you can get

1. Alcohol often tastes like sh!it and hurts your liver a lot, weed is usually only a few puffs of smoke and won't harm your lungs unless you do it excessively
    2. Up to $30 for a dozen puffs, enough for 4-5 people
    missbishi likes this.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Do the research cannabis is much safer but smoking is still bad for lungs and smoking before you have real responsibilities isn't good. You are not old enough to be intoxicated. However if your mind is made up here wick facts impossible to over dose on cannabis (weed) never happened before in history of humans you can over dose and die from liquor even if your turned to your side you don't always die from choking on vomit you can actually over dose cannabis (weed) is non Physicaly additive and has no withdraw you can smoke 3 or more times a day for 5 yrs quick cold turkey your good (I just did last December) however if you drink everyday for 5 years you will get PAINFULL withdraws and can even die my mother died in rehab this way god rest her soul although not as common as it was to die like that they give Xanax in rehab to help with liquor withdraw
    missbishi likes this.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Weed isn't without its problems but yes. Weed is by far safer than alcohol.

A. Can't die from it
    B. Minimal effect on health unless you use it ALOT.
    missbishi likes this.
  5. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I smoked for three solid years and guess what, it was some of the best years of my life. I learned the meaning of friendship with new people who were solid bros, discovered my individual interests in music, life, and cycling, smoked at some places with beautiful scenery, and learned how not to be stressed in life.

Alcohol on the other hand taught me that you can talk to a girl at a bar for thirty minutes and not know her name, you can curb stomp yourself if you drank enough, puking five times is possible, bicycles wont survive being thrown off bridges and that spins do not only happen when you're drunk, it can also happen after.
    missbishi likes this.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Marijuana is far safer than alcohol. Now I'm sure someone will be along shortly to proclaim that it is, in fact, the root of all evil but the facts are that it does not cause fatalities, it does not cause you to black out and do something you'll regret and it is not physically addictive.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Weed may seem like a better alternative, but it does affect the mind and also the lungs and may, seem it is not dangerous and some people think it is less addictive and also will not harm them. Marijuana is less fatal than alcohol, and cheaper as well and if a person takes a bit too much than will have health problems which will affect them. Alcohol does cause a person, to gain weight and also the liver and also lung can be affected badly which can lead to a person dying and alcohol does cause fatal accidents everyday which is quite sad.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Studies do suggest that weed is considerably safer than alcohol, and part of me actually kinda wishes I’d become a stoner rather than a drunk… but watch out for those random drug tests! That does make me wonder what kind of an effect legalizing pot in certain places has had on drug screening, but I digress. Really the only way weed is bad for the body is when used in excess, so there you go.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think that weed is actually the lesser of two evils. Alcohol by far is the most dangerous drug out there it is legal to consume and sell. If you drink alcohol, you turn into a monster. You smoke weed, you'd probably laugh a lot and eat.
  10. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I wouldn't say it's safer at all. No matter what science says, alcohol is not something that alternates your brain the same way weed does. I think alcohol does not have a long term affect like weed does, weed might cause permanent brain damage.
  11. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

Weed might cause brain damage, but the evidence is lacking and alcohol can cause other physical damage, for example to the liver. Nobody has ever died from a weed overdose. On the other hand, plenty of people have died from alcohol overdoses.

I think it's clear what the more dangerous substance is. Which is why it's ridiculous weed is illegal (where I live) but alcohol is perfectly legal.
  12. kylerlittle

That is not a valid statement at all, I would have to disagree with you completely on this. What you're not differentiating is addiction and the substance itself. Addiction to anything is harmful, addiction to smoking and addiction to video games, to food or anything. You cannot justify weed being safer by showing the results of an alcohol addiction, you have to compare both in the perspective of pure substance, purely trying it without an addiction or need for it. Alcohol is very beneficial for your heart and even your liver, it cleanses you from the inside and helps certain organs, what does weed do in comparison? only a little would alter your mind and put you at risk of a lot of things, it's much much worse. You cannot ever compare an addiction with an addiction, all are bad, you compare the slightest amount with the slightest amount and you can see a conclusion that one is better than the other.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

The fact that you do not experience a hangover does not make it safe. It has its negative effects that can be harmful to the body. If you get addicted to it then you can not do anything without it. Better you stop it as fast as possible.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It isn't safer. It is just different. Abusing any substance is a bad idea and you can't just tell yourself you are doing "y" but at least it is not "x". I have seen that reasoning send people on a terrible downward spiral and really damage their lives in the process as well as the lives of those around them.
  15. I know a lot more high school students do weed than drink, but neither is safe. Drugs in general are bad for you, and you shouldn't try to decided which one is "better" for you, because in the end they all have negative impacts on your life. My best advice is to stay away from all types of drugs and all types of people that do it and especially the type of people who try to make you do drugs with them.
  16. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

Well, it all depends on who you talk to and whom you choose to listen to.

Different bodies take different substances in different ways - which's often why MOST PEOPLE (not all) will say that marijuana is much better than alchohol. Scientists have not only discovered that marijuana is actually very safe - but they've also known for a long time that alcohol destroys your brain cells and liver. That not only results in premature death, but also in a very unhappy, unhealthy lifestyle up until the day you die.

In my honest opinion, I'd say that marijuana is better than any other drug out there - however, it all depends on who you talk to and what their experiences with this drug are.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You feel sick and dizzy in alcohol because you consumed a lot of it. If you will consumed a lot of weed, you will surely suffer from the consequences of over using it. Mostly it could give you hallucinations as I could read about that on various write ups about it.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If both substances are addictive and you're using them to get high, then there's no point comparing which one is safer. Both weed and alcohol can intoxicate a person whose only goal for consuming them is to get addicted. The intention of the person is what matters here.
  19. kylerlittle

Not only though. Weed makes a person much more prone and weak to being high, while alcohol, is not harmful if consumed in a very little amount daily, it's good for your body. I see a comparison.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

In my opinion, yes, marihuana is safer. Marihuana doesn't make you lose control the way booze does. Pot never made me puke, made me wake up next to someone I'd never met before, or made me make a fool of myself in public. On the contrary, it made me more reserved and quiet. The real problem started for me when I started mixing the two things together. That's when things really got messed up.