An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is weed safer than alcohol?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by dragonbvoide, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Marijuana is harmful in the same way smoking is harmful - smoking anything (inhalation of damaging substances to the membrane of your lungs) is dangerous in general. Now, anything not done in moderation is also equally as dangerous.

That being said, I've seen far more horrible things in this life arise from drinking and not arise from smoking marijuana. I've seen more people get hurt, do something stupid, or crash a car because drinking. I've never been with/seen anyone who's crashed a car while stoned, or wanted to start a fight with their ex girlfriend. (interesting night, to say the least). I've only ever wanted to relax, mellow out.

Is it SAFER? A drug is a drug. Like xTinx said, it's really in the intention of the user/person using.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

If taken moderately, then yes, it is definitely safer. Though keep in mind that if taken excessively can really have only bad effects upon both your mental and physical health. Don't go by rumors, trust me. You'd come off better if you simply didn't smoke it, but if you do intend, just have my advice: don't overdo it.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

If there are considered two EVILS, I much rather stay away from them both. I continue to hear that marijuana is much safer than alcohol but I also know that alcohol in moderation doesn't do any harm. At the end of the day I'd be more inclined to have a glass of wine or a beer than a few puffs of some weed.
  4. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

While yes, it's safer, the smoking aspect is not. If you're really looking for something healthier, ingesting it would be the way to go. If you can though, try avoid the stuff altogether.

You're wrong with the hangover though, you will get them if you don't stay hydrated and safe. Even then, you may still experience it.

Both alcohol and weed have many negative effects though. The best way to avoid those effects is by avoiding the source.
  5. juulicob

juulicob Member

Mentally, I think smoking marijuana is safer. Of course it could be said that avoiding both all together is the safest, but just to answer the question I'll go with this.

From personal experience, drinking alcohol is more dangerous and commonly leads to anger and fights. I agree with Shimus's original post. I have some friends who are bi-polar, or have anger issues and I know I don't like to drink with them. Some of my friends were even more comfortable to be around when they were stoned. Although I hate that someone would need a substance to enjoy hanging out in social groups.

Indeed, all drugs have negative effects and should be avoided in all. But the fact is, not everyone will have that kind of will power. If someone is addicted to marijuana, I probably wouldn't be too worried about their mental or physical health. But if someone was addicted to drinking alcohol, I would be questioning their liver and their mentality.
  6. Shimus

There is still damage to lungs and stuff that can arise naturally from inhaling anything in smoke form, but there's not much else to worry about unless they become mentally dependent on it. But, if they can manage to realize they're mentally dependent and scale down like I did I believe even the negative side effects can lessen over time as well. A drinker will just destroy their liver end of story. It's not made to handle that volume consistently.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Thank you.
    So many people will try to tell me that pot smoke isn't bad for the lungs, or that it's minor compared to tobacco. As far as I know it could be minor compared to tobacco, there really isn't any evidence one way or another.
    Thing is ALL smoke is bad for your lungs no matter where it is from. The heat alone is damaging, not to mention any other things in the smoke.
  8. Shimus

It is like you said, people often go "It's not as harmful, so I can smoke more/smoke longer with no implications of health damage."

It doesn't work that way, sadly. And any smoke is still smoke, so I can't believe people would be ignorant enough to think inhaling something you don't normally subsist on (something not oxygen, that is) is perfectly safe. Those people need educated.
  9. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Using an addictive substance to get high or intoxicated is not safe period. It is useless to debate which one is safer, especially when the intent should be to stay clean.
  10. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

From what research suggests, they are indeed safer than alcohol even though I would not recommend it to my loved ones even as a addiction substitute for alcoholism. There are some people who managed to cure their tobacco addiction with marijuana and if indeed marijuana's effect is not as bad as tobacco, then I would not really have problem with their way of getting out of their addictions. Only if it was me, I would go for safer substances like food, etc.
  11. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

The only problem with that though is that food addictions can often be just as damaging as alcohol abuse. Being overweight can lead to severe health effects. I wouldn't recommend using it either, however, I have used it myself for my own alcohol addiction. It has helped significantly in terms of making it easier, I'll give it that, but I'm planning on curbing it as soon as I can.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think it is safer, but not in excess. For those who have never been sick or drunk from marijuana, well you have not smoked something really strong or a lot. I have smoked some marijuana that made the ceiling vibrate and I was so sick.! You do get some that can be very strong and once you have smoked you wont be able to go anywhere. I don't think it is good to smoke or drink anything in excess.
  13. Shimus

Anything in excess is not safe, but we mostly all know that anyways. We may ignore it from time to time and indulge in periods of excessive use. I think Oracle, that it switches from person to person - I've smoked some of the most potent strains our world has to offer and I've never had my "ceiling vibrate" or "get sick off of" - perhaps you had some pre-existing condition that smoking agitated? Whatever the case may be, anything in excess is bad.

As they say, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing."

or in this case,

"Too much of a bad thing is still a bad thing."
  14. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I would say its safer as you won't make careless decisions unlike if you were drunk. Let's just say that being drunk is one of the most unsafest modes to be functioning in. Weed only gets you high which doesn't cause too many negative effects.
  15. Shimus

I wouldn't say you don't make careless decisions on it, because I've seen some pretty absent minded stoners making plenty of wrong decisions before myself. Drunk is definitely dangerous, and probably 5x more so than being stoned - but being under the influence of any drug is a bad idea when it comes to having to make judgment calls, decisions, or careless decisions at that.
  16. Skyspirit

Skyspirit Member

I think generally yes, but the problem occurs when those whom smoke weed also drink alcohol then it is a rather double sword of sorts. I don't think pot or weed alone is addictive, I do think that the actions and manners of some who use it are abusive - it's a tough call but all in all I do believe that pot is less addictive, if at all addictive than alcohol or harder drugs - just my two cents.