An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is willpower alone strong enough to fight addictions?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by letitherobe, Jun 22, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Will power and determination combined with professional help can help an addict, because being determined to be sober or stop a habit starts in the mind, so the more will power you have, the more successful you will be in recovering.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Willpower is the most important thing and can sometimes be strong enough on its own, but I find that having people listen and encourage you is one of the best treatments that doesn't involve medicine. Try to talk to people, even if you're shy. It will help a lot.
  3. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

An overwhelming majority seems to believe it's not enough, and I'm inclined to believe them. But I sure am glad for those who managed to kick their habits by sheer willpower alone. You are warriors, guys. Unfortunately, every person - every situation - is different, and there are a lot of people who need outside help. That's just the way it is. We're not built the same, and most of the time there are circumstances beyond our control. I wish you the best of luck.
    Elizabetonth likes this.
  4. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Getting some help will certainly make overcoming an addiction a better process.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Your will power alone is not enough to fight your addiction. Your determination and great confidence for yourself are also important things that you should have within yourself if you want to fully recover from your addiction.
  6. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

It can be. For me, it was. For others it may or may not be. Every situation is different. Regardless the details, will power always helps whether it's enough by itself or you need extra to help overcome an addiction to something. Genetic predispositions to substances and cultural or other habitual things notwithstanding, it does depend upon the person, what they are battling, and how long among other things. Even if you can handle it just fine on your own, the extra support is always good to have and is intelligent to have if anything ever happens to where something may change and you find you might want an occasional helping hand after all.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd sway that it depends a lot on the addiction, the person and the circumstances of said person. My biological dad managed to quit drinking after having a really bad accident, it was amazing, but he managed to quit drinking on his own in a record time. He never drank again, despite being around people who drank.
  8. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I'm so impressed. I'm impressed by anyone who quits an addiction, no matter the method they use, but I admire your willpower so much. When it comes to the question generally, I think it depends on the person. For me, taking the decision is the difficult bit, whatever behaviour I'm trying to change. Most of my head will think 'I should stop', and a large part will think 'I want to stop', but there'll always be that part that really, really doesn't want to, and so a 'decision' I take often isn't a real one. If it is, then the willpower needed to make the decision to resist temptation a couple of days later feels like the same as taking the decision, and I tend to fail again.
  9. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I would think that it would depend on the person and their willingness to want to end their addiction. You have to be strong to end your addiction without help and have a strong support team around you. Willpower is what keeps you sober and without it you will succumb to the addiction again. It is a day by day struggle to keep clean and you have to want it bad enough in order to do it by sheer willpower.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think willpower alone, if it's strong enough, can certainly help a person fight an addiction. But of course, it doesn't happen as often because it is super hard to do so. You will have to have great focus and concentration to stop the cravings from turning into a relapse.

That being said, I still think that a combination of a lot of factors can help a person quit the addiction. If you combine therapy, rehab, support, medicine and willpower, your chances of recovering are greater. Because this way, you don't only utilise one method, you use all outlets that can help you. So if one doesn't work, there's still the others that can help you.
  11. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

If it was, we would probably have way less addicts in our country today. There are some people who can give up an addiction cold turkey and be very successful at it. But for the most part, I feel our addictive personalities make it very difficult to give up anything that we have been addicted to for a substantial amount of time without professional help.