An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is willpower enough?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by nessarconde, Jan 10, 2015.

1. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I agree that willpower is like the main key you need to be set free from addiction but depending on how strong one's willpower is, they might need support on something else.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That is the problem right there. No one will be able to reach sobriety with that kind of support group. If you are not helping the situation, then you are an enabler.
  3. light

light Active Contributor

Willpower combined with a fast action and support you will give to your friend, is enough for him to make the first steps towards his recovery process. But don’t discourage him by criticizing words which push your friend deeper into the dark path he is following. It’s important to make him feel loved and appreciated, this way he will make the decision to become sober! Going together into a rehabilitation center will make him understand that it’s not an institution for abnormal people but for those who have the courage to get rid of their bad habit.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@nessarconde you're a very good friend, I wish I had a friend like you !
    Regarding willpower being enough, it certainly is a major factor in a successful detox but in this case, I don't think so. Not being able to be sober for two hours... That definitely needs professional help.
  5. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I don't believe in willpower, myself. Motivation and will are limited resources, and having a strong dependency on a substance (coupled with withdrawal symptoms) can lead you back into your addictions. My preference is convenience. When I stopped smoking years ago, it was not because I had an unshakable will -- I was broke and without a job, and therefore had no means to indulge in my addiction. I feel that not testing yourself and making your addiction the most inconvenient thing to possess will help more than sheer willpower.

However, if you have an iron will, then by all means go for it.
  6. myia714

myia714 Member

Willpower is the primary source to overcome any addiction. You have to want to help yourself. It doesn't matter if everyone around you is nagging for you to go to rehab, or quit drinking, smoking, etc. It does help that there is a support system. I have a cousin who drank and did many kinds of drugs. At first he wouldn't listen to anyone that told him to go to rehab or get any kind of help. The problem was he just didn't care. A few months ago he was rushed to the hospital because he drank too much. After that hospital visit, he is a new person. He wants to better himself, he knows he needs to stop and make a life for himself. As of now he isn't doing any more drugs, he still drinks occasionally, but nowhere near as much as he use to. He recently got a decent job, it's not his dream job but he's making a living for himself. Overall willpower is a very powerful factor. People have to want to help their selves, they have to really want to get better.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I'm absolutely convinced that willpower can make wonders, because myself used it to break with addiction. However after reading the way the group is treating your friend @nessarconde, I believe that he was given with more reasons to avoid doing something.

By the way you describe the situation, I think he gave up because he lacks of something that moves him on; it could be inspiration, the dream to attain something, or whatever else that could motivate him to quit drinking.

And without a motivation in life, not only willpower but AA meetings and even medical treatment may fail because we are humans, and we need a reason to live for.

Give your friend the answer to why he should do something about his life by quitting alcohol, and he may go after such motivation.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, having willpower can already be considered as a huge factor in recovering successfully. It really depends on the person anyway, on how determined, and passionate he/she is about changing his/her ways for the better. To answer your question, yes, willpower can be enough.
  9. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

Willpower alone did not work for me. Relying on a power greater than myself was what worked in my life. It doesn't mean I'm religious, I just depend on more than myself to get through each day, I'm the only one who can change my behavior in the end, but I couldn't do it without feeling the support I get from friends at meetings. I realized how much love exists inside other people and that's the power outside myself. The support in a meeting, a hug or handshake, someone taking to me on the phone when I'm struggling with stress, those are the outside things that help me. I really had to be in a bad place to seek that support, so it was up to me to admit I can't control anything, just try one meeting and see how it goes. Once I did, it started getting better. I hope this helps you and your friend, bless you and best of luck to you!:)
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Same here, except my accepting of God was a deeply profound and religious experience that changed me forever.
    I also want to bless OP!
    I know people who just used will-power, and others who needed medical intervention.
    Being the former does not mean you are "stronger" then the latter.
    We are all unique and wired differently, so we all need different things to help us get to where we need to be.
  11. DeathXGun

DeathXGun Member

Having the courage to admit that the fault of the addiction is yours and solely yours is a hard step. It takes willpower, and of-course, courage! But, it's possible! It's done every day and the results are alarmingly positive. Just being able to admit you did something wrong can stop the addiction all together!

-DeathXGun
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It helps to have will power but if it was that easy to quit there wouldn't be any alcoholics. Not everybody can quit on their own. Some people need help and support. Calling them down and talking badly to them only add to what they are feeling. You need to be supportive and to be there. I hope he decides soon that he needs help.
  13. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

You know what they say we are all stronger than what we think we are. Will power is definitely a strong trait to have but just like everything else it needs reinforcements and this is where family and friends come in to reinforce that will power.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Simply having will power is not enough for anyone to quit the addiction. I once had a drug addict friend. He was trying to give up drugs. He had a strong will power, I could avoid drugs for three days, but the three days with no drugs would almost broke him, on the forth day, he would not be able to bear pain and the he would resort to drugs.