An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Isn’t legalizing Marijuana producing more addicts?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Deeishere, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I know Marijuana is used for medication purpose so I am not really talking about that issue. I am just wondering with Marijuana being legal in a lot of states is this causing an increase of drug addiction. When I lived in California it was legal if you had a doctor’s prescription which I’m sure lots of people can easily get one medically or not. I would think that Marijuana would also lead to taking stronger drugs.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that legalizing it can make more curious or just okay trying it. Just like other legal items or products such as alcoholic beverages and cigarettes. As they can easily get these and do not have to think that they are breaking any law.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Easier access to marijuana will probably encourage more people to experiment and a few will get hooked. So there certainly is a high likelihood that initially there'll be more addicts but the numbers will drop when the marijuana hype dies out.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't know. I think in some cases it will lose it's appeal because it's not illegal any more. Many youngsters do it out of rebellion or to break the law. It might very well become a normal socially acceptable thing and there will less stigma attached to it. This won't be happening the UK though - all legal highs are banned.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess if it becomes legal then the underground sellers would have competitors now because they can now purchase it legally. I am also not sure if there are gonna be more addicts per se, because marijuana isn't really that addictive in my opinion.
  6. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Marijuana is not a gateway drug, and I've yet to see anything conclusive as to whether or not it's addictive. I doubt that legalizing it would "create" more addicts, in that context. In my view it would just be making a mostly-harmless drug available to people who want to use it, and people can stop going to jail over possessing and smoking it.
  7. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

According to narconon.org, Marijuana abuse sending more youth to emergency rooms than any other drug.” It decreases the desire to work study or do daily activities. It reduces memory function, an elevated heart rate, depression, suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, paranoia etc. A lot of young people use it so they may suffer long term damage including breathing problems. I think that would be my main concern. Young people will do things for “fun” and not thinking about the long-term effects. It’s scary because I not only have to worry about drunk drivers, but folks high on weed. Legalizing it seems to condone this behavoir.
  8. Dilof

Dilof Member

I think if people wanted to do marijuana they wouldn't need it to be legal. Heck, in the past four days I've had more than 5 people walk up to me asking if I want to buy weed (outside my college). There's a more in-depth debate here: https://www.addiction.com/8395/legalizing-marijuana-more-addiction/

It has both sides of the debate which are both pretty unbiased from respected people who have researched these things. But if you want a personal opinion then mine is above.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If it is easily available, then I think more people will get into addiction. Consider this, alcohol and cigarette are easily available, there are more people addicted to cigarette and alcohol than other substance.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I live in a country where marijuana laws are relaxed, and it's freely available. The fact that you can buy it in almost every park without any problems doesn't really attract more users from my observation. In fact, the majority of people here aren't interested in smoking weed or using it in any other form than a medicinal lotion for various bone and muscle ailments. You quickly become used to the smell of marijuana wafting down the streets, it's as common as cars. Most people don't give it a second thought anymore.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I tend to agree with this.
    It's illegal where I live and I tend to agree that many youngsters use it out of rebellion and peer pressure and many become addicted. Legalize it and for some it might lose its appeal. Hence my answer would he yes and no.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah well seems like if government or whomever, is against drugs or its use. They are actually for it's use and further it for whatever purpose serves them. Money, manipulation, power. It all adds up to control. Make more people into silly putty and you can get them to do whatever you want them to do. Spend their money or whatever. Well, it will only work with those who are asleep at the wheel.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

We should take a look at places like the Netherlands... rarely you see the locals in one of those coffee shops, most of the people smoking weed in one of those places are tourists. I've actually met very few dutch people who consume weed often enough, let alone abuse them. It's odd, but I don't think legalization is the problem t be honest.
  14. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Not really. Actually marijuana isn't physically addictive. It's not different from alcohol, sure maybe some people will overdose it, but that's maybe 1 out of 100, maybe even less.
  15. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

The Netherlands has a lower rate of marijuana use than either the US or the UK, so the argument that legalisation or decriminalisation will lead to more people getting high isn't supported by the evidence. I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't get high because it's illegal here in the UK - it's socially acceptable amongst generation X & Y to the point where legal status just doesn't matter. You either enjoy it or you don't - that's what primarily determines whether someone becomes a pothead or not. Governments who insist on continuing with prohibition are losing out on tax money and a potentially massive economic boost. The idea of marijuana as a "gateway" drug is a nonsense argument - alcohol and tobacco could equally be regarded as "gateway" drugs and prohibition means people buying marijuana are likely to encounter other harder drugs through their dealings in the black market. There's just no argument for prohibition on any level.
  16. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Marijuana isn't anywhere near as physically addictive as alcohol, cigarettes, or other drugs. Sure, some people that are prone to addiction may become mentally addicted to marijuana, but it it far less physically addicting and will be much easier to treat. I don't believe there will be some epidemic of addicted marijuana users if it were ever to be fully legalized.
  17. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The idea that marijuana isn't addictive isn't entirely true, there has been this notion that has been passed around but it's not true.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Whether marijuana is physically addictive or not the fact is any drug can be psychologically addictive. So either way though theoretically overcoming an marijuana addiction might not be that hard, anyone who is psychologically addicted to the drug will find it hard to beat their addiction.
  19. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

As a marijuana user, the reason I don't let myself go full addict has nothing to do with being illegal at all. To me being addicted to marijuana is the same as being addicted to alcohol, as both addictings are out of society and dont let you live a normal stable life.

I dont think legalizing it will produce more addicts, on the account that the kind of people that isn't doing marijuana right now only because its illegal, is the exact same people that wont let themself go alcoholic because it would ruin their lives, so the vast majority of people is going to be ok.
  20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yes I do think that legalizing marijuana promotes more people to try the product as those who follow the law would find it finally "ok" to try out the so called drug for once without threat of being caught by the cops or what not. When people are curious, they try new things and some of them may be hooked.