New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Isolating yourself... necessary for self rehab?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Do you think somewhat isolating yourself from the rest of society would be something helpful for somebody trying to rehab themselves? I mean, sort of going at a mountain cabin by yourself and staying there alone or maybe with your family for a couple of weeks, giving you time to reflect about your time and also putting some distance between you and whatever it is you're addicted to.
    rabst likes this.
  2. I am not sure if this would help someone with an addiction or not. In one way, they could avoid some temptations by isolating. But I worry that they would be too lonely. I think you need love and support when trying to fight an addiction. I don't know from experience personally as I have only helped those with addictions.
  3. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Depends what you mean by isolating. If you have bad friends or people in your life who are dragging your down you need to get away from them. Start by joining some sort of self help group like AA or SMART, that way you can find new friends and people who will not drag you down. Also if you are surrounded by good influences they will start to pull you up.

You have to break your present routines, if you are right now hanging out in places like bars stop doing it. In the self help groups hopefully you can find new friends so you can start doing healthy activities.
  4. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

That wouldn't be a good idea at all, dear Julian. When you are isolated and without much to do, you tend to fall into periods of darkness and that is where urges for consuming substances usually come.

However, you should by all means separate yourself from bad influences and people that could lead tempt you or convince you into such habits. But don't isolate yourself, meet people, be with your sober friends, enjoy the simple things in life, start doing sports, that's all much better.
  5. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I think that it can work when someone does not get a supply of the drug that they are addicted to. Going away from the ordinary everyday life is refreshing and can assist someone curb the craving to abuse the drug of choice. While away in the mountains it is necessary to find an activity that will ensure that one is occupied so that they can stay away from drugs.
  6. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

If your entire social circle is using and you are in a bad environment, then I think it could be a good idea to isolate yourself somewhere away from them. But during that time you should be thinking of helpful people you could begin to associate with or people you could ask for help.
    This dramatic idea of "isolation" in a hotel or cabin is something you'd see on t.v. or in the movies, but in real life I think it isn't healthy if done too long and could lead to other problems.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that this could work as a temporary measure, especially if you hang out with the "wrong crowd" at home. But what happens when you return home? OK, you will be detoxed, but you won't have addressed any of the behaviors behind your substance abuse. A mixture of detox and therapy would be far more successful.
  8. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that isolating yourself from people that you keep or kept around you that may be partaking in destructive behavior might be a good idea. It's important to keep people around you who support you and believe in you while you're trying to recovery. You may be eliminating that completely if you isolate yourself from everyone.
  9. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Could workout for someone who's is usually a loner. But others might get hysterical or go crazy. That is how most people go "Cold Turkey". But in any case, one must have the means to communicate with others in the event of an emergency.
  10. 003

003 Community Champion

Yes, for some this is going to work, but if you are far away from the people from who you draw out your strength, then instead that you become strong, you'd just probably be weaken. I think it's not really isolation, but rather separating yourself from those who are harming your fight getting away from addiction, those who impede your progress. They are not those people who support you.
  11. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

No.

Because 'rehabilitation' is 'Getting You Back to Society.' Sure, you need to distance yourself from the parts of society that are harming you; not by reclusion, but by replacement (instead of an orgy or line-doing session, you go to a worship-gathering or a Bible-study).
  12. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. I suppose it's a bad idea then. Better to remove the bad influences from your life and keep the good ones. You just need to be able to rely on your friends and family to get you through the bad times.
    rabst likes this.
  13. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Yes, this could help. Everyone is different, and everyone deals with their problems in differently. Sometimes I isolate myself from others just to take time to take care of myself for a little bit. I'll tell everyone I need some alone time so that they don't get freaked out when I don't return calls, and I'll just be by myself. This actually helps a lot. Being by yourself gives you a lot to think about, a lot to cry about, and a lot to laugh about without any distractions or interruptions. This should only go on for short period of time, though. Being by yourself with no outside connection for a year can be very toxic since humans need social interaction to survive and thrive.
    rabst likes this.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I feel like I have very strong loner tendencies, I've even been called anti-social, but then again on the flip side, I've been told I'm very outgoing and extroverted. Bottom line, I don't mind being "with myself." That being said, with my strong loner tendencies, I could see a "getting-away" working for me, not necessarily as alone as in the woods in a cabin, but I could see myself going somewhere "alone" (I have a son, so I would take him) and getting away from it all.

If I had the money, I'd definitely do a nice hotel. If I had family out of town that I got a long with, I would go there.

To each his/her own. Everybody is different, and what will work for one will not necessarily work for the other.
    If you really know yourself, and you know that you can handle being alone (some people hate being alone), know that maybe you even prefer being alone, then getting away from everything and everybody can be helpful.

If, on the other hand, you are the type of person that hates to even go to the store by yourself, or finds it hard to be be alone for even one Saturday afternoon, then "isolating" yourself may not be the thing for you to do.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Isolation does give you enough time to sort your muddled thoughts out and think things through especially when you're on the brink of losing it or returning to your old drug-prone ways. By isolating yourself, you set a distance between you and the individuals or environments that prevent you from pursuing a dignified path. You cannot prolong this situation, however, as no man is an island. Eventually, you will have to return to the company of other people and mingle with the rest of society. Around this time, isolation will have given you the perspective you needed.
    rabst likes this.
  16. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

(pardon me for 'taking you as an example of society-in-general,' but) It sounds to me like 'you' (people-in-general) don't appreciate people as 'people,' but as 'a means to an end.' I'm looking specifically at 'doing the nice hotel'---that's not being alone! You think the hotel gets "nice" by some magical, non-'other people' means?

That is; it looks like sometimes when people talk about 'spending time alone,' they're really thinking of "disconnecting"---i.e. rising from their station as 'an effect of another cause-&-effect routine,' and becoming more of a 'self-causing effect' for a while (disconnected from something that still might actually be 'causing' your actions ... but it's not doing it for any personal citation-of-credit from you).
  17. stariie

stariie Community Champion

As I already stated in my previous comment, to each his/her own. Everybody is different and what will work for one will not necessarily work for the other.

You can't make me a voice for "people in general." I'm speaking for stariie, and stariie only.

It's common knowledge that a hotel does not manage itself. Self-rehab is what is being talked about on this thread, not whether or not I appreciate people who work in hotels.

In regards to being in a nice hotel, you wrote, "that's not being alone!"
    The original poster wrote "...or maybe with your family for a couple of weeks..."
    Being with family is not being alone either, but it is understood what he is talking about.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    rabst likes this.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not sure it's a bad idea what Julian was contemplating. It's family and that sounds like good company if everyone is on board with the recovery as I sure they would be. What might be dangerous is isolation for an extended period of time alone. That's just my humble opinion.
    rabst likes this.
  19. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think that it might be a start heading in a good direction but that even after the isolation, one would still need to enlist help from a rehab!
    I see how isolating yourself has a few of it's benefits especially if you go with your family for a couple of weeks however I also see how it might not be all that viable seeing as there are other factors involved!
    rabst likes this.
  20. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

I think that the point behind rehab is not necessarily 'to be okay with yourself,' but 'to better fulfill your purpose in society.' Sure, a regular break is good; but you do have to remember what you're taking a break from!