An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Isolating Yourself

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When someone decides to fight an addiction first thing they should do is stay away from the friends they used to use drugs with. Some go to the extreme . . .

Question: would isolating yourself completely [avoiding everyone] prove to be counterproductive? Loneliness can also be a relapse trigger?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No man is an island! Completely isolating yourself will not help and will definitely be counterproductive. I know that all too well from experience. You need some form of communication and stimulation regardless of whether you are fighting addiction or not. Cutting yourself off from the outside world can have serious adverse effects on your mental health. Break yourself off from the influences, yes, but also surround yourself with more positive influences and people who can help take your mind off things otherwise you will end up overthinking things too much.
  3. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I agree that isolating yourself is a recipe for relapse. Without something to relate to in the way of a group or a mentor you tend to plow along blindly and recovery starts to seem unproductive and not worthwhile. Without the company of the people you are trying to be more like by not using what good is being clean? Staying by yourself all the time may have the adverse reaction of making you feel like you got clean for nothing since you have no one to share your new lease on life with. Before you try to get clean through abstinence and dismissal of those you use with, take stock of who you might want to have in your life after you no longer use. If you don't have anyone in your life to take the place of your old using buddies, you might want to start to go to groups for people who are recovering from the substance you are trying to quit, or if you are the type who likes going to church, there are a lot of activities most churches put on throughout the week that you could participate in. Isolating only makes you feel alone and not a part of any group and since one of the perks of getting clean is being accepted by others in society, I highly suggest seeking out others with similar interests to ease the transition from a chaotic and stressed lifestyle to a more mundane but stable one.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think at first that's a good idea. But one thing I know is you need to have the ability to resist temptation also.
    Things that trigger addictions don't always come from friends. Being alone at first to build up your strength and resistance to a relapse is important. But over all if you have friends who are addicted you should stay away from them when there using anything. Be careful about the company you keep. Try to make friends with people who stay sober.
  5. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I would not suggest you isolate yourself. It will make you feel lonely which can lead to depression thus leading to you relapsing.
  6. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have depression and a tendency to isolate myself, but it really makes things so much harder and worse. I'd say best to spend as much time as you can with family and sober friends or people who want to help your recovery. You need support right now and there is nothing wrong with that! Just choose the kind of company that actually offers it.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that it can definitely be hard to tackle sobriety alone - but in my opinion it's way worse having people around that would serve only to enable or encourage your addiction. I had friends like that, who were all about drinking and partying - and my desire to step away from that lifestyle was met with questioning and wanting me to stay where I was rather than moving forward with my life.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Good question. Loneliness for the most part to me is completely a separate issue. Perhaps some people they are connected. I think that isolation can be a very good thing. One needs to utilize it properly. Naturally what you are saying makes sense to stay away from people who use drugs that encourage the addiction. This is true and it would make it easier in the short term. However, would it make it easier and more effective, long term. Making longevity the focus. Probably not. There can certainly be a great deal of will power built up in the act of putting yourself right in the middle of it or not being able to control being around it for some reason.
    Whatever it is that an individual is addicted to if they can be in the same room with it and resist. Not want to have it. This is will power with longevity. Maybe for a period of time it could be necessary to isolate until one feels ready. Other people can certainly influence you with their chit chat or whatever to get you to cave in. Perhaps in stages when one feels ready to venture it. The situation could certainly arise in a place where it is least expected. So if you don't have the will power what good is continually avoiding something going to do for you if you can't really control yourself? Its like complete denial of the problem. Facing it eventually, with control.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well. Isolating yourself could both have positive and negative results. By isolating yourself, you could somehow do a lot of self-reflection, and you would have more time to yourself. On the other hand, this might ruin your relationships with your friends and family as you're not communicating with them anymore. I think there should still be a balance.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Isolation will only bring more depression, so nothing like finding what we love to do and be with other people, many times when we are alone it's even worse.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think when people are first recovering from an addiction the first thing they tend to do is cut themselves off from everyone.

Sometimes that can work out for the best depending on the person and the people around him, so it's down to the individual to decide whats best to do.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It is essential that you always have help and support when you are going through any type of crises. Isolation is not the answer. You need to be in a support group where you will get the right kind of support. You do need to avoid those who are a bad influence with regards to drugs. You must enlist the help of your family and friends when you try to stop taking drugs.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think if the person is not using drugs, then the recovering addict should not avoid that person. He should only avoid the ones who use because they are not good influences for him. Complete isolation isn't necessary.
  14. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

While you are concerned about your own wellbeing, someone else might base their entire life upon your wellbeing. It may be your presence which gives them a sense of fulfilment. Therefore, communication is the key to any successful relationship, and relationships are important to our own well-being. Let your friends understand what your new mission now is
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Some people abuse because they are lonely, whilst some do it because of the stress and pressure put on them by their very active social life. It's an effective method to spot what triggered the addiction and change your life to be the exact opposite, at least during recovery. That would prevent relapse the best.
  16. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Just let the people know that you are on a path right now and you just want to remain clean. I think it's important that you tell your friends what you are up to.
  17. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yep, life is made of choices and if we inform our circle of "friends" that our old life is over they need to respect it. We need to be strong to break with all of that though.
  18. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I believe that loneliness is a requirement here. However, I would look at it as a step that must be taken before we're ready to face the world without the fear of relapsing. We don't have to commit to loneliness entirely. We just need to embrace it for a while. It's just the way it is.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is advisable to stay away from former friends who influenced you into taking drugs. You can still make new friends who don't take drugs. You cannot quit taking drugs and yet you have friends who take drugs because you might be tempted to start taking them again.
  20. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I would struggle with loneliness if I did not have someone to talk to. I would just suggest getting a new set of people who have similar interests. I am a social person and could not live in total isolation because I would have too much time to think.